Illegally deploy maid,hold pay-MOM & maid expose employers

With most families being dual-income-with-kids, outsourcing home cleaning and home economics to domestic helpers is almost a way of life for Singaporeans. Come in and discuss issues pertaining to maids and home management.

Re: Illegally deploy maid,hold pay-MOM & maid expose employe

Postby JJ1111 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:41 am

How do you all make sure the "helper" is a "maid" before you make a call to MOM?

I saw a few "look alike maid" helper in the hawker stall before. But I don't dare to clarify with them whether they are employed under Domestic helper permit but doing hawker job.

My hubby's best friend married an Indonesian, and if other don't know may think she is a maid.

So those "helper" maybe is their family member.

JJ1111
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby sushi88 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:38 am

This is the first time I read this thread and I read it with horror even though we have no domestic helpers. :yikes:

I find it hard to believe that people who are doing things with good intentions for the domestic helpers but at the same time sound equally, if not more vicious in their suggestions of shaming and causing regrets to employers.

Yes, people make mistakes, both employers and domestic helpers. I have seen a fair share of bad practices in both and good practices in both. However, I believe the laws set to protect the domestic helpers suffice to assist them adequately(there are none for employers even from malpractice agents). There is no need to suggest any more warped ideas to blame and shame the employers....that is unnecessarily excessive. There is even a scheme to blacklist bad employers for further ability to hire domestic helpers..so is there a need to go this extreme to shame them on FB etc? Have we so little faith in the legal system to stop malpractice employers? :?

If you are truly people who care, then cease right now and you will look more noble. If not, I see you even bigger trouble makers for both employers and domestic helpers, fanning the fire even stronger. :stompfeet: :nunchuk: What actions do we need for such people I wonder? :slapshead:

sushi88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sushi88 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:48 pm

Taurus22 wrote:For those who are reading this thread the first time and have been ignorance of how prevalent and wide-spreading illegal deployment of maids is, we should be glad that this thread is posted to help enhance & spread awareness, hopefully through other forums , of the malpractices undertaken by many unethical employers and colluded agents which are not reported in media and any internet forum.

Are you serious? We are not living in caveman age. The above assumption is ignorant and the approach to help is correct? Two wrongs do not make a right.

Let me share that for illegal deployment, this is the penalty:
Penalty if found guilty of illegal deployment: A fine of up to $15,000, or jail of up to 12 months, or both. On top of that, this track record would make it harder for them to employ again.

Now people take risk for various reasons, parking car without a coupon is the most common. However, when caught the penalty is hefty and similar for illegal deployment. There is no need to try to play the legal beagle here. Have faith in the system.

Undoubtedly, there are many bad maids, bad maid agents and equally many bad employers.

Good that we agree.

However, what is different is , employers have been given so much protections behind the scene / hidden behind internet forums to unfairly and mercilessly "Bad-mouth and attack "the so called "bad maids" with these maids' full details - full names, photographs , work permit numbers being unreservedly exposed here and there.

Do you know why aggrieved employers do that? That is because current regulations are lop-sided towards domestic helpers as they are deemed the weaker of the two. The aggrieved employers have no other help. Employers are considered to be able to help themselves and hence they go to forums to rant. I am not saying this is right but this is how they relieve their pain when no one else wants to assist them when they meet bad domestic helpers. I just empathise with them not condone. Perhaps the right authorities can look into checking on the relevance of such unhappy employers instead of dissing them off as unfair and merciless? If the authorities gave an avenue to investigate conflicts between employers and domestic helpers, would there be a need to rant in forums and act ugly? I do not think anyone wish to act ugly unless they are insane, that is another story....and the interested party should be IMH. We have to bear in mind, these employers are not corporate employers who have muscles to handle their own issues which I feel the authorities might have mistaken in this area, hence no solution until today for such aggrieved small-time employers.

On the other hand, are the so-called "bad maids" being similarly given a chance or being notified to open up their sides of the "bad stories / breaches " of their "bad employers"? What kind of protection do these maids have ? The exposures of the so-called "bad maids" urging for blacklisting is done in open space without any cover , any shield and is therefore totally one-sided and even could be dubious while the employer-cyber attackers are completely protected & shielded behind internet forum with the safest protections.

I have already given a solution above. As I said, 2 wrongs do not make a right. Cross-fire solve any problems? FYI, ugly employers are not protected in the internet, they are exposed. Self exposed, to be precise, so don't worry too much. The other thing is the authorities know who these employers are given the domestic helpers' details, do you think they cannot be warned for releasing private information? Perhaps writing to the right authorities to look into this would be more effective than asking the maids to shame the employer in the same way on FB with private information. Unthinkable!

Maids' unverified "Bad Employment History" are revealed without any reservation. In sharp contrast , any single "bad employer"'s "bad Employment History" has been revealed to the maids who seek employment or transfer. Who is protected and who is not protected at all?

Bad employers would get their just desserts and recorded for their heinous deeds. Have you forgotten about the domestic helper agents who are SUPPOSED to screen both sides? If anything, the agents are not doing a good job to ensure the protection to the domestic helpers. Why would a maid personally go and research on every employer before employment? :? In any case, the domestic helper have MOM and their embassies behind them. For the public, we just need to be civic-conscious, just like when we observe any criminal act in our neighbourhood, we alert the authorities.

"Bad Maids" can be mercilessly exposed and shamed in public in any space and any form, why is it that "Bad employers" who have committed offences of illegally deploying maids of maids can enjoy special privilege of not to be publicly exposed and shamed together with the "Bad colluded Maid agents" with full details in maids' Facebook or in any other way maids deem deserve to have their side of their stories heard and to get back their justice in this country built by our late Founder Prime Minister, Mr Lee Kuan Yew based on Justice and Equality?

You know what? You can help the domestic helper more directly. If you don't read these shame messages of the domestic helpers and encourage the bad employers to post, soon the posting would stop. If I ever research for a domestic help, I will only go to official website like MOM(for eg) to look for blacklist and ignore all other sources. If you do that, you will soon find all forums will be rid of such posts if there are no viewers.

Mr Lee would be seriously unhappy to be misquoted for Justice and Equality. Though he advocated that, he would not, in his wildest imagination, suggest that domestic helpers to shame the employers in FB and achieve justice and equality in that way. Thank you.

Your intention is good...just misplaced. Keep up the good intention!

sushi88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sushi88 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:22 pm

Myanbamboo wrote:Dear all,

I also applaud 'wahjinsong's sharings of the many bad deeds done by "bad employers" to their maids. I am glad that MOM publicly shames these employers by revealing these "bad employers"s full names and addresses in the maids' Special Passes issued by MOM.

All the bad deeds or offences committed are very common as I have observed to have taken place amongst some of my ex colleagues , all of them are women employers. One of them even sacked the maid who asked for transfer immediately after she had finished repaying her "8.5 months' loan" when she did not want to work for two houses anymore to perform "full load of domestic duties in my ex-colleague's mother's house where we understand to have 6 persons. The maid is a fresh maid who had had no off-day during the "loan period" left Singapore without justice being done as she did no know how to tell Immigration officer but to go to complaint to MOM as she had been deployed illegally to work for two houses for 8 months and got sacked when refused further exploitation. My another colleague told me that this 'Bad employer-colleague" had even used the maid's last drawn salary to buy air ticket to send the maid home last minute as with the cases of many other cruel employers we have seen. These employers have committed two offences- illegally deployed the maid and then used the maid's salary to repatriate their maids. Outrageous!

True enough , the Singapore Government has put the necessary laws in place to protect the maids but what is actually happening on the ground? What kind of protections the maids can actually get ? The cruel employers are at large , offences unreported to MOM , the maids abused & exploited and repatriated without money going home , and worse still , the next replacement maid suffer the same fate of being illegally deployed ,.. or else face repatriation ...Some employers hold maids' salary hostage despite maids' begging for money to be sent home but rejected by employers who use such cruel method to compel maids to accept unreasonable work conditions and complete contract. Will these cruel employers make noise and run away to MOM if their companies hold their salaries for two years?

Besides illegal deployment .there are many unfair treatment of maid observed -When maid break contract , "Bad employers" use maids' salary to buy air-ticket on grounds that employer has to waste money , pay agency fee , insurance costs ..to employ a replacement .

I have seen cases in which employer's old family members passed away after the maid has just finished her many month's loan got repatriated immediately without transfer . However , the 'Employment Contract' signed and Work Permit issued is for two years ? What are in these bad employers' mind are only want to save levy payment and salary ? Heartless ? Unfair ? cruel ? So where is the protection for the maid?

Even where these employers allow their maid transfer , do they pay for the maids 'Transfer Fees' in the form of yet another 'Salary deduction ? Where is the law to protect these maids who look after our elderly and risk being terminated anytime when the elderly die anytime while the Employer signed two years' contract? Who is fully protected? and who is completely not protected? Let's touch our hearts and look into the minor..

The phrase " prevalent and wide-spreading illegal deployment of maids.." used above by "Taurus22" aptly pointed to the fact that protection of maids is still lacking though laws are already in place , mostly due to unethical maid agents' covering up , collusion with "bad employers" .Not only illegal deployment is prevalent & widespread, unfair treatments of maids in many ways unreported but known to be "open secrets" are equally "prevalent & wide spreading" despite MOM's enforcement by the MOM & the Singapore Government on the higher echelon which can't catch up with the "hankies pankies " on the ground..

Public exposure , shaming and jailing of offenders-both employers and maid agents who "take-side" of bad employers are the right steps to be taken .

If you have totally avoided reading what I wrote about the aggrieved employers, your view remains as such, BIASED. This thread is not a balanced discussion because the reality is not in balance. There are victims on both sides but one side is legally protected, the other side is not at all. That is a real social problem. The good news for the domestic helpers is that once any legal rules pertaining to the hiring process is detected, they get their protection by law to punish the employer even for small acts of badness. As for the employers, we need a murder/abuse to happen and reported in the news before we can arrest the dysfunctional domestic helper. Fair? Tell me what is fair?

I am not sure why "women exployers" need to be highlighted. Is that not a sexist comment? :? In the first place, what is the % of men taking care of domestic matters except a handful of househusbands whom I know exist? That comment was uncalled for and I cannot but conclude that the discussion here is highly biased against employers especially the WOMEN... haha. :rotflmao:

For me is simple. If there is no proper framework to support this, then do away with domestic helpers. A good fairy tale ending to this story...everyone lives happily ever after... You think possible? :wink:

Just to add, I will check with MOM directly on the purpose of putting the employer's name and address on the special pass. I am doubtful the intent was to shame the employer(this is only "wahjinsiong"'s interpretation but to keep tab that there is a court case where both people are implicated, there must be a good reason. And I am totally appalled the suggestion was it became the domestic helper's bragging rights to flash these details to the public to shame the employer. :yikes: MOM so free to do this? :shrug:

sushi88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby POA Teacher » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:50 pm

Taurus22 wrote:For those who are reading this thread the first time and have been ignorance of how prevalent and wide-spreading illegal deployment of maids is, we should be glad that this thread is posted to help enhance & spread awareness, hopefully through other forums , of the malpractices undertaken by many unethical employers and colluded agents which are not reported in media and any internet forum.

Undoubtedly, there are many bad maids, bad maid agents and equally many bad employers.

However, what is different is , employers have been given so much protections behind the scene / hidden behind internet forums to unfairly and mercilessly "Bad-mouth and attack "the so called "bad maids" with these maids' full details - full names, photographs , work permit numbers being unreservedly exposed here and there.

On the other hand, are the so-called "bad maids" being similarly given a chance or being notified to open up their sides of the "bad stories / breaches " of their "bad employers"? What kind of protection do these maids have ? The exposures of the so-called "bad maids" urging for blacklisting is done in open space without any cover , any shield and is therefore totally one-sided and even could be dubious while the employer-cyber attackers are completely protected & shielded behind internet forum with the safest protections.

Maids' unverified "Bad Employment History" are revealed without any reservation. In sharp contrast , any single "bad employer"'s "bad Employment History" has been revealed to the maids who seek employment or transfer. Who is protected and who is not protected at all?

"Bad Maids" can be mercilessly exposed and shamed in public in any space and any form, why is it that "Bad employers" who have committed offences of illegally deploying maids of maids can enjoy special privilege of not to be publicly exposed and shamed together with the "Bad colluded Maid agents" with full details in maids' Facebook or in any other way maids deem deserve to have their side of their stories heard and to get back their justice in this country built by our late Founder Prime Minister, Mr Lee Kuan Yew based on Justice and Equality?

Maid's UNVERIFIED bad employment history listed by who? re you referring to MOM's listing of maid's employment history? The list is unverified???????
Employer's bad employment history is not listed? An employer with many changes of maid in short period is BANNED from employing a maid, while maid with many changes just has her employment history listed on MOM website .

Btw, when you apply for a job, not only as a maid, do you have to list your employment history or not???
And does your potential employer have to supply details of his employment history for you to see?

POA Teacher
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby POA Teacher » Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:45 pm

I have not been to any maid agency for a long time, true.
You know why?
Cos my maid worked for me for ages, and we don't need one any more. So I haven't had to use any agent for a lonnnnng time.
Does that make me a horrible employer?

Also, you don't read well. I have replied to some employer here, saying that they are not fair in treatment of the maid.
Also, I have never defended anyone for ill-treating their maids or for non-payment of salaries etc. You are distorting whatever I posted, due to your own bias perhaps due to your experiences with bad employers. But I never defended them

Also, you so sure about my job history????

POA Teacher
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby POA Teacher » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:22 pm

For example:in All about full Time maids.

To me "restricted FROM " making calls means cannot make calls, period.

But as for your comment on restricting calls home to once a month, actually I do think that that IS inhumane. As long as she does not expect us to pay for her personal calls, to me, she can even call every day if she so wishes (though that's overdoing it).

I try to not take sides. I try to see both sides.
Last edited by POA Teacher on Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.

POA Teacher
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby POA Teacher » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:44 pm

Also my post on 10 July 2014:

jojostc wrote:

I have a maid for 9 mths, and she also have finished her loan with the agent. can i just terminate her contract and send her back to her own country without keeping the maid agency in the loop?

Why are you thinking of sending her back?
She has worked for 9 months but earned next to nothing.
Let her get a transfer. Unless she has done something drastic.
If you don't need her any more, or you're just not satisfied with her work, let her get a transfer.

POA Teacher
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby sushi88 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:36 am

Grandmasharing wrote:
Those who have involved in NGOs' work interacting with "Run away maids" and have access to many untold , unreported maid-exploitation stories will fully agree with me and we hope you guys will share your experiences here for the benefits of all prospective employers.

Can someone advise how these untold, unreported maid-exploitation stories are investigated and verified true by the NGOs for the benefit of all? I strongly agree that unfairly treated domestic helpers need to be helped, just not by shaming employers though...

If there are such non-profit(?) NGOs helping the domestic helpers, I salute the NGOs and congratulate the domestic helpers for an added source of help on top of MOM and the embassies.
Last edited by sushi88 on Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sushi88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jetsetter » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:37 pm

Grandmasharing wrote:
We know about your job history from your own mouth where you have stated in this forum that you are "Ex MOE teacher. Though Principles of Accounts. ...doing tutoring.." Are these your words??

Such maids , having had their salaries been cut for months, have had no choice but to move on to accept whatever job conditions looking forward to finally starting to receive first salary. Yet we have seen many such maids whose employers maliciously withholding their salaries to compel completion of contract , allowing part payment of salary for remittance to families after maids' repeated begging. Worst still , we have also seen many Singapore employers forcing maids to renew contracts against maids' will by withholding $900, $1,500 as "hostage" to make sure that maids would return from "Home Leave" to work for another contract. We have seen such maids finally driven to run away to NGOs and MOM for help . These maids have been compelled by poverties and continued dire need to support their families to tolerate exploitation by such cruel Singapore employers to work for 3 years , 5 years ..because a big sum of their hard-earned salaries have been held hostage by their cruel employers.

Those who have involved in NGOs' work interacting with "Run away maids" and have access to many untold , unreported maid-exploitation stories will fully agree with me and we hope you guys will share your experiences here for the benefits of all prospective employers.

Grandmasharing:

1. I don't think POA Teacher's background has any relevance to your crusade, so please don't bring in her CV.

POA Teacher does sound like a broken record in various maid-related threads, making people think she has a 'personal vendetta' against FDWs, to which she has clarified isn't true.

2. "We have seen". "We"? Are you one of the volunteers or social workers working for either H.O.M.E and TWC2?

While what you've been fighting for is commendable, and I do salute such NGOs' efforts, do be mindful some NGOs harbour political agendas, in case you haven't already realised, from your interactions with civil activists like Jolovan Wham, Alex Au ("yawningbread" blogger, SDP member), Vincent Wijeysingha (former SDP candidate, but he's stepped down from the exco of one of the said NGOs, if my memory doesn't fail me), Shelly Thio (very vocal lady), Russell Heng (former SunT features editor turned activist) and a couple of associates like Lynn Lee (filmmaker of SMRT strike).

These 2 NGOs have had a couple of run-ins with MOM, MHA and the Courts over the years. Some of them were non-substantive allegations against the authorities which were subsequently dismissed/rebutted by the latter, I recall.

I hope you're not one of the above, but just another employer who has had many positive experiences with FDWs to share with kiasu parents like us. :evil: :wink:

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Domestic Help