Cruel to sack maid have boyfriend, friends or use handphone?

With most families being dual-income-with-kids, outsourcing home cleaning and home economics to domestic helpers is almost a way of life for Singaporeans. Come in and discuss issues pertaining to maids and home management.

Re: Cruel to sack maid have boyfriend, friends or use handph

Postby ChiefKiasu » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:21 pm

Most Singaporeans are pragmatic. We are time-starved, or perhaps simply plain lazy. We just want someone to help us do the things which we do not like to do. It doesn't matter whether this help comes from a person or a robot. In fact, when robots become advanced enough to work in our homes as maids, I'm sure they will sell like hot cakes in Singapore.

The fact is, if we wish to engage humans as maids, we have to accept all the social issues that come along with that. Maids are humans, and we need to respect them as humans.

If we can't do that, then we should simply do the work ourselves, or buy some robotic vacuum cleaners that can vacuum and mop/wash the floors for us, dish washers to do the washing, washing machines and dryers, etc. There is still nothing to automate the ironing and folding of clothes, but if we can spare the time, these activities can be quite therapeutic, and can be a family activity that we can enjoy with our kids. In the worst case, get a part-time maid to come in on weekends to help you iron clothes and wash the toilets.

Going maidless will remove all the issues that employers may have with maids having boyfriends, handphones, falling sick, going on leave, etc. It will also help train our kids to be more independent, responsible, and gain domestic skills. Try it if it is an option for you. You'd be amazed at how your family will come together and function as a close-knit unit :)

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

3 people like this post

Postby janet88 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:07 pm

If cannot tolerate having a maid and put up with her nonsense, get a part timer...job done after 3-4 hours and off she goes. No need to feed or house her. If still cannot tolerate, then DIY.
You save at least $1000 a month as well as emotional baggage.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby phtthp » Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:11 pm

If have a toddler, better to put kid in infant care school, no need to hire maid

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:13 pm

phtthp wrote:If have a toddler, better to put kid in infant care school, no need to hire maid

At least much safer to put the child in infant/childcare than in the hands of a maid and at her mercy.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby st2 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:54 pm

In my humble opinion... Cruel?

No, it's nothing to do with cruelty or the law. It's an issue of trust...... if the maid repeatedly promised and repeatedly break her promises, that hurts the very trust needed when people live together.

If houserules were given and many conversations and talks taken place, if the maid insists on defying the employer....then she should be prepared to return home.

It's difficult to have someone that I don't trust living in my house taking care of my precious and dear people and things. I can't leave my house so the maid has to go.

st2
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby 3Boys » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:55 am

Cruelty before trust I think. Trust is a 2-way thing, the worker needs to trust the employer to look after her welfare also.

3Boys
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Sun_2010 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:13 am

st2 wrote:In my humble opinion... Cruel?

No, it's nothing to do with cruelty or the law. It's an issue of trust...... if the maid repeatedly promised and repeatedly break her promises, that hurts the very trust needed when people live together.

If houserules were given and many conversations and talks taken place, if the maid insists on defying the employer....then she should be prepared to return home.

It's difficult to have someone that I don't trust living in my house taking care of my precious and dear people and things. I can't leave my house so the maid has to go.

I agree.
If a maid misuses her handphone- neglect chores, or use during inappropriate time - the it is dereliction of duty - you may choose to warn/sack her.
If the maid's boy friend visits her during her work days, she misuses the home etc - again she is breaking rules - you may choose to sack her.

If trust is broken because of how she behaved/acted, the maid should go.

But if she is sensible, and has self-discipline, then give her the freedom. it will be win-win.
Perhaps I talk because when it comes to hp usage, my maids have been more disciplined than me :faint: I try to talk to her general stuff on weekends when i potter around the kitchen, but on weekdays my time at home is precious. I want to spend every min with the kids. I more or less ignore her except for giving instructions and asking her if she had food. So if she wants to spend time chatting for an hour or two, I say go ahead. A depressed maid cant be trusted too.

Sun_2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby POA Teacher » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:58 am

Sun_2010 wrote: If the maid's boy friend visits her during her work days, she misuses the home etc - again she is breaking rules - you may choose to sack her.

That is trespassing. Call the police.
Having such an employee in your home is dangerous.

POA Teacher
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby xxmummy » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:20 pm

I would say prevention is better than cure. Get maids from agencies that exercise more stringent due diligence when short-listing maids for its portfolio - their maids have better attitudes. Select married woman who have children because they are more mature. Many are here working to support their own children or build own house back home so they are self-motivated and won't want to be in any trouble if they can help it. I also find Filipinos very patient - great with children and elders. Many are Catholics or Christians so good moral values and more self-disciplined.

Thereafter, it's mutual respect and trust to build a good employer-maid relationship. Takes time and effort to train a new maid so it is a win-win situation if she is able to complete her 2 years contract and lagi better extend to 4, 6 years.

xxmummy
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby pirated » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:56 am

The PROBLEM is that all these maids and domestic helpers totally lack self control.

Lots of problems will disappear if the maid have some sense of proprietary and self control in mobile phone usage and relationship and work responsibily.

But is a GOOD thing because Singaporean families are forced to be more self reliant.

In our work place we work hard and work smart to make ourselves totally indispensable to our bosses thus gaining good promotion and bonuses, but these maids make themselves dispensable. Good for singapore society. And good things don't come easy. We can do without them, and don't bring up another strawberry generation who does not even know how to wash the dishes.

If they can't control themselves someone has to control them. If no one else can control them then get rid of the problem's root - send them back. It is not cruel at all. They will learn to be more mature and disciplined in their new place. Some one has to teach them object lessons since no one has done it before.

pirated
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Domestic Help