forgetful maid

With most families being dual-income-with-kids, outsourcing home cleaning and home economics to domestic helpers is almost a way of life for Singaporeans. Come in and discuss issues pertaining to maids and home management.

forgetful maid

Postby Snow24 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:22 am

Hi

Anyone can share tips on how you can get maid to remember to switch off the water heater, stove and electrical switches after use.My maid keep forgetting to switch off every other day and I have to off for her and remind her time after time.

Snow24
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: forgetful maid

Postby Happyparent222 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:08 am

If you think it is so hard on you then you are better off without a maid

Happyparent222
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby autumnbronze » Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:43 am

You can use post-its and place them on the wall beside the switches/appliances. Run through them with her. You can ask her to write it down in her own language.

I did that for instructions on how to use appliances also. I wrote them down and blue tacked them on the wall next to the appliances.

Even for housework too. There were instructions blu tacked on the bathroom walls (step by step on how to wash it), hall (for cleaning) etc .....

Hope this helps.

autumnbronze
Councillor
Councillor

Postby hquek » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:00 am

Autumnbronze idea is great. Also, I used to make my helpers write down in a book if they keep on forgetting this/that. When they are forced to write it down, somehow it sticks better.

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Jennifer » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:20 am

Snow24 wrote:Hi

Anyone can share tips on how you can get maid to remember to switch off the water heater, stove and electrical switches after use.My maid keep forgetting to switch off every other day and I have to off for her and remind her time after time.

forget to switch off stove? this is dangerous. maybe explain to her it might cause a fire and she might lose her life in the fire?

the other electrical appliances, I guess it is a matter of not getting used to since she might come from a background with no or few applicances.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:34 am

where the maid comes from, she would not have seen what a fridge, microwave, washing machine, dryer and a gas stove is. in fact, I remember having to teach my maid how to use a mop, squeeze it dry and mop the floor. if she always forgets, then have to drive home the point that she will be in danger.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 12mum » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:44 am

Maybe it is time for the hubby to step in and tell the maid off in a stern manner.

12mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:48 am

autumnbronze wrote:You can use post-its and place them on the wall beside the switches/appliances. Run through them with her. You can ask her to write it down in her own language.

I did that for instructions on how to use appliances also. I wrote them down and blue tacked them on the wall next to the appliances.

Even for housework too. There were instructions blu tacked on the bathroom walls (step by step on how to wash it), hall (for cleaning) etc .....

Hope this helps.

You can use pictures to illustrate what you want on the notices - it may make more of an impact than just words.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby autumnbronze » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:48 am

To add on to Jennifer's post ....

Yes, its good to explain to them and even show you tube videos of the consequences of being careless with fire.

With my younger son's health issue, when I realized she couldn't get it that he had to be fed slowly and in small amount, i gave the the name of his condition told her to google and do some research. The next day, she was spouting information she had gleaned from the internet and asking me questions. Thereafter, she would follow up by asking me about his visits to the TCM, doctor or even after he had a ballooning procedure done.

After that, I never really had anymore issues. Though there may be lapses, they are very sporadic and a reminder would suffice.

I have learnt that with my helpers, the show and not tell method works best.
Last edited by autumnbronze on Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

autumnbronze
Councillor
Councillor

Postby janet88 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:52 am

I reminded my maids then...safety is most important. I can accept they haven't seen electrical appliances we have. things like not touching the switch when fingers are wet is something I always stress.
the crucial point is, I want them to go home ALIVE. then they wake up.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Domestic Help