how to select a good maid

With most families being dual-income-with-kids, outsourcing home cleaning and home economics to domestic helpers is almost a way of life for Singaporeans. Come in and discuss issues pertaining to maids and home management.

how to select a good maid

Postby Snow24 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:22 am

Hi

Anyone can share how to select a good maid?

Snow24
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: how to select a good maid

Postby Peiqi01 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:31 am

to be honest, depend on your luck really.

Last time, when I choose married maid as they are skilled in taking care of kids.

Peiqi01
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Blessedwife » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:36 am

There is really no such things as a manual to how to choose a good maid. It all depends with your luck. I am lucky to get mostly good and obedient ones. Give and take.

Some people are better off without a maid. You might want to consider part time helper.

Blessedwife
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby mwchua » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:47 am

Luck and more luck :xedfingers:

Also depends on how much you can close your eyes. For me, as long as the main tasks are done, I pretty much leave her alone.

Read too many horror stories of what can they do out of the blue, and they always emerge relatively "unscathed" for what they have done. I look forward to the day when i can do without them.

mwchua
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Peiqi01 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:05 am

Yes LUCK very impt. If u get good maid, you can go buy 4d.

Seriously!

I have a friend, whose maid brought her boyfriend home when she is not around. She found out only when she is not feeling well and came home halfway from work.

Peiqi01
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Sun_2010 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:45 am

Cross your finger , close one eye, give her the benefit of doubt and pray real hard :lol:

Some tips that might work
if you have small kids, see how they interact with the kid, see how the kid take to her. Some genuineness in there affection, like do they really like being with kids. When my kids were small, that was my major major criteria.

oh btw, I got rejected by 2 maids because they felt my 4yr old son was too active. :faint:

Then again, sometimes our thinking could be wrong. I did not approve of transfer maids. One transfer maid interviewed me "how many times she should wash toilet in a week" , what time to wake up, etc. Honestly if it wasn't that I was under tremendous stress and desperately needed a maid , I wouldn't have even remotely considered her. If she wanted a list of duties even before I decided to hire her, she was bound to be pain i thought. But she was mingling cheerfully with my son and I was desparate, so i signed the contract.
And she was the best maid I had. And my kids still fondly remember her. She genuinely cared for all in my family.

Sun_2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby GoPapa » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:02 pm

LUCK plays a big part.

Transfer or not transfer, spend a few minutes with the helper. If you have a child at home, bring them together for awhile. Your child's opinion will be more important than yours.

If doing household chores and cooking is the priority, then the interviewing questions should be focused on these.

I feel that we should have done up a weekly routine, or even a daily time table. The potential helper should read it through and see if she is comfortable with the arrangement.

Good to have both parties to agree on the general scope of work and both sides expectation met before we agree to take her.

GoPapa
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Angelique » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:52 pm

Snow24 wrote:Hi

Anyone can share how to select a good maid?

Agree with everyone here saying Luck is very important part.
When looking at bio, of cause we choose ones who finished their contract, can cook, clean and if able to interview in person then a girl who seems easy to manage.
Exciting part starts after loan is payed off and month 4-6, if you see little slip in work or more moody...then it's start of maid from HELL.
My friends 7yr ex Sg went off day come back 12:30am!!
Until then my friend was so proud she got a good maid, before 12:30 am incident she noticed more then few times her work isn't good or seem spaced out.
My ex maids first impressions for me stayed true however much I prayed it not to be.
Chance after chance maid will not change but want work less but want more money, more ph off.
When you have a normal maid who don't give you attitude problem and love your family, hang on to that maid for dear life...

Angelique
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby st2 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:33 am

Do our bosses/employers ever feel that way about us? Do they ever close one eye and keep us if we are not performing? Can we show them black face?

st2
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Angelique » Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:37 pm

st2 wrote:Do our bosses/employers ever feel that way about us? Do they ever close one eye and keep us if we are not performing? Can we show them black face?

We can show them Black face, yes, but start tidying your desk... as we will be fired.
Break office equipment over and over again then we will be shown where the exit door is.
Become sick then it's our problem not our boss's ...
Try to show maid black face then I'm sure they will demand transfer.

Angelique
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Domestic Help