Cost of part-time helper is doubled the cost of live-in one?

With most families being dual-income-with-kids, outsourcing home cleaning and home economics to domestic helpers is almost a way of life for Singaporeans. Come in and discuss issues pertaining to maids and home management.

Cost of part-time helper is doubled the cost of live-in one?

Postby mistral77 » Sun May 03, 2015 3:20 pm

"Having a housekeeper come in just twice a week, for the minimum required period of four hours each time, would likely cost us more than $600 a month."
This means market rate is $75 for 4-hour work?

Any one read today's Sunday Times where Fiona Chan wrote an article on the above. Reproduced part of it here:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Angst over hiring a helper
I did not want to get a maid until I realised engaging a cleaning service is double the cost of a full-time helper

.Published on May 3, 2015

When I checked the rates for part-time house cleaning, however, I was nearly tempted to switch jobs and become a cleaner myself.

Having a housekeeper come in just twice a week, for the minimum required period of four hours each time, would likely cost us more than $600 a month.

We would still have to clean up after our very messy cats and ourselves the other five days of the week, not to mention have to eat out most of the time.

Alternatively, we could order a daily food delivery service, which would send us hot dinners every weekday for at least $200 a month.

With children, the cost would jump further - full-time infantcare costs as much as $2,000 a month, of which the Government subsidises up to $600.

Compared with that, live-in maids who do it all - cook, clean and take care of their employers' kids - are a downright bargain.

mistral77
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: Cost of part-time helper is doubled the cost of live-in

Postby Glorared » Sun May 03, 2015 10:19 pm

True to say that part timers are more costly. But u will live without any maid issues. We are paying for our privacy.

Glorared
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby mistral77 » Fri May 08, 2015 11:07 am

Glorared wrote:True to say that part timers are more costly. But u will live without any maid issues. We are paying for our privacy.

Good point you have there!

mistral77
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Sinny » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:26 am

I find a live in maid is more worthwhile as she can carry out duties any time any day.

Sinny
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby CatMoon » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:32 pm

mistral77 wrote:
Glorared wrote:True to say that part timers are more costly. But u will live without any maid issues. We are paying for our privacy.

Good point you have there!

Agree! When I see my friends' frustrations in dealing with so many maid issues, I feel sorry. They have to constantly take time off from work to deal with the maid, the constant suspicions (whether the maid is really taking care of their baby) .... etc. My sis-in-law was initially happy with her former maid who was with them for 4 years, until the maid went home. Then my nieces told her how this maid threatened to throw their toys and books out of the window if they take them out of the bedroom to play. Also, how this maid often "shook" mei mei back and forth in the pram when she is angry with mei mei crying. My sis-in-law was of course furious when she heard this.

But these things often only come to light when the maids go home and the children are no longer afraid.

CatMoon
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby sushi88 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:11 pm

The heavy reliance on cleaners for homes will only drive the cost up to become ridiculous.
Domestic helpers doing part time work during their off days and cleaners from China are grinning from ear to ear when they use your high-tech "helpers" at home to help you.

DIY seems to be a thing of the past these days.

sushi88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby anyhowsay1 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:06 pm

sushi88 wrote:The heavy reliance on cleaners for homes will only drive the cost up to become ridiculous.
Domestic helpers doing part time work during their off days and cleaners from China are grinning from ear to ear when they use your high-tech "helpers" at home to help you.

DIY seems to be a thing of the past these days.

Cleaning work is about the same as giving tuition around $20 - $24 per hour.

if I pay somebody $24 per hour to iron my clothes, i might as well buy a piece of new chothing every week. Crazy rate.

anyhowsay1
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby ashana » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:38 am

On the money part, you have not included the meals and lodging cost for live in maid. You have to pay for the necessities, meals and basic entertainment too. And extra expenses for family outings. Also the extra cost to replace the items that your helper will break and spoil. Not to forget the maid issues that come along with the package :)

On the contrary, I'm thinking of engaging part-time helper to come over 2 x weekly or 1 x weekly instead of a live in helper because I find it relatively cheaper. Maybe I'm missing some calculations, if anyone has experience in engaging both full-time and part-time helper, can you share with me how is it?

ashana
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby janet88 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:15 am

part time maids come in for 4 hours and leave after that.
having them come in twice a week means cost would be doubled.
yes, you don't get to enjoy home-cooked meals.

with live-in maids, you have to pay for levy, accommodation, food, medical and emotional headache. if these maids get involved romantically with some foreign worker in a budget hotel, employers have more to worry.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Coolkidsrock2 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:37 am

Part-time cleaners normally come with a certain standard of competency so you do not really need to spend too much time, energy or effort teaching. They are also able to work faster and more mentally agile and pick up instructions very fast.

My maid cleaned my granite floor with mama lemon. Nobody told her to do it. A part-time cleaner will know the difference between a stone and tile floor and what can or cannot be used on it.

Coolkidsrock2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Domestic Help