Looking for a traditional cobbler

With most families being dual-income-with-kids, outsourcing home cleaning and home economics to domestic helpers is almost a way of life for Singaporeans. Come in and discuss issues pertaining to maids and home management.

Looking for a traditional cobbler

Postby slmkhoo » Mon May 25, 2015 8:49 am

Can anyone recommend a traditional cobbler, preferably in the central/west areas? Not the Mr Minit type of cobbler. I am looking for someone to resole a pair of man's leather shoes.

I know there is one at Holland Village, but he's probably more expensive? What about Chinatown, Clementi, Jurong East etc?

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Looking for a traditional cobbler

Postby ChiefKiasu » Mon May 25, 2015 8:53 am

slmkhoo wrote:Can anyone recommend a traditional cobbler, preferably in the central/west areas? Not the Mr Minit type of cobbler. I am looking for someone to resole a pair of man's leather shoes.

I know there is one at Holland Village, but he's probably more expensive? What about Chinatown, Clementi, Jurong East etc?

I normally just use glue to resole myself. You must use the right kind of glue - the yellowish type that require drying for 10 minutes before pasting. Not sure what it is called.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby slmkhoo » Mon May 25, 2015 9:05 am

ChiefKiasu wrote:
slmkhoo wrote:Can anyone recommend a traditional cobbler, preferably in the central/west areas? Not the Mr Minit type of cobbler. I am looking for someone to resole a pair of man's leather shoes.

I normally just use glue to resole myself. You must use the right kind of glue - the yellowish type that require drying for 10 minutes before pasting. Not sure what it is called.

Tried with an all-purpose glue, but didn't work. I guess I could get that "yellow" glue, but my husband prefers to resole because the sole is also quite worn.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Nebbermind » Mon May 25, 2015 9:23 am

I thought I've seen one in Bukit Batok recently, somewhere aroundt he marketplace nearby St Luke Hosp. Can't be sure but maybe someone living around there can confirm.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby siewzhenmom » Mon May 25, 2015 9:28 am

KIPS N KWIK at junction 8. Hubby has been using his skills for many years.

siewzhenmom
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby straffan23 » Mon May 25, 2015 1:40 pm

Dunlop glue!

straffan23
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Imami » Mon May 25, 2015 3:47 pm

Slmkhoo,

Not sure if it's too far for you. There's one uncle at bishan central blk 510 (somewhere near skp).

Imami
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby zilojian » Mon May 25, 2015 4:19 pm

Hi slmkhoo,

I know there is a traditional cobbler aound Clementi Ave 2 area (just outside the NTUC supermarket). You can try it there..

zilojian
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Shin Yan » Mon May 25, 2015 4:27 pm

There is one at Tanglin Halt Food Centre (near Commonwealth Mrt), beside the shophouse.

Shin Yan
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Mon May 25, 2015 4:56 pm

Thanks everyone! My husband found a couple in the Chinatown area, but they said that the shoes can't be re-soled. Not too sure what the reason is. Maybe I should get the strong glue and see how long it lasts.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Domestic Help