Household Schedule for FDW doing mainly housework/housekeepG

With most families being dual-income-with-kids, outsourcing home cleaning and home economics to domestic helpers is almost a way of life for Singaporeans. Come in and discuss issues pertaining to maids and home management.

Household Schedule for FDW doing mainly housework/housekeepG

Postby clioclio » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:31 am

Hi KS members, need your advice and inputs

I just got a new FDW/ no overseas experience etc.. My previous helper went home after 3 years with us. In the past, the FDW's focus was more on child-minding as my kids were still young. So, what I required my ex-helper to do was to clean one room a day in the morning when the kids are all in school (e.g. Master Bedroom & Toilets --Mon, Bedroom 1--Tues, Bedroom 2--Wed, Living room--Thurs, Kitchen--Fri etc), and afternoon she mainly mind the kids and very light housework.

However, with this current new FDW, i don't really need her to mind the kids anymore as they are now older and can auto-pilot do their work/entertain themselves. I see her doing her assigned room/job for the day very fast and she is like standing around doing nothing.. Really. I asked her in the morning to start preparing lunch at 1030am, she finished cleaning the room at around 930am and I see her just sitting around waiting for 1030?!?! :scared: Sometimes she basically stands at the side watching whatever we are doing, waiting to be called to do some things.
I am not quite used to this, I did tell her to find things to do--put folded clothes back, tidy up the plastic bags etc. But still, hanging around... Should I be concerned about this? I never had maids who hang around like this idle...

I am thinking if i should up the frequency of her cleaning the house--like clean the bedroom more than once a week, wash toilets 3x a week? or smth? Do people ask FDWs to clean toilets everyday?

Sorry if my questions sounds elementary even though i have had maids before..appreciate any inputs

clioclio
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: Household Schedule for FDW doing mainly housework/housek

Postby clioclio » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:52 am

Oops I meant to put this under the thread "Full-Time Maids"---sorry!

clioclio
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby janet88 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:00 am

clioclio wrote:However, with this current new FDW, i don't really need her to mind the kids anymore as they are now older and can auto-pilot do their work/entertain themselves. I see her doing her assigned room/job for the day very fast and she is like standing around doing nothing.. Really. I asked her in the morning to start preparing lunch at 1030am, she finished cleaning the room at around 930am and I see her just sitting around waiting for 1030?!?! :scared: Sometimes she basically stands at the side watching whatever we are doing, waiting to be called to do some things.
I am not quite used to this, I did tell her to find things to do--put folded clothes back, tidy up the plastic bags etc. But still, hanging around... Should I be concerned about this? I never had maids who hang around like this idle...

looks like your new maid is not very automatic. there are so many things to do in a house. but what I've learnt is, NEVER tell a maid to do certain thing when she is free...because they will never get around to do so.

back then, I planned maid's daily schedule down to the minute...well, they forced me to micro-manage :shrug:
for eg:
6am: brush teeth
615am: wash cups, clean dining table, prepare breakfast.
645am: clear table after breakfast / take breakfast
7am: vacuum floor / mop floor
745am: wash toilets

things which can be done:
take out all the clothes and clean the cupboard.
clean the fans.
clean the windows.
clean the doors.
the list can go on...but definitely when there is no baby to look after, the priority is on the housework.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby clioclio » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:46 am

I did give her a timetable, but she still has blank spaces--not sure if I am too lax in my house work demands -_-

She is only here about a week plus, one of her daily to do at night is to wash all the kids water bottles and refill them. She did not do so and was zzzing at 10pm (I woke her up and asked her to do it) she also had to sweep/mop living common areas before calling it a night... she also didn't do?
I asked if she's ok/is she sick? She just said no ma'am and sheepishly went to do it... ?????

clioclio
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Coolkidsrock2 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:59 am

[quote="clioclio"]Hi KS members, need your advice and inputs

I just got a new FDW/ no overseas experience etc.. My previous helper went home after 3 years with us. In the past, the FDW's focus was more on child-minding as my kids were still young. So, what I required my ex-helper to do was to clean one room a day in the morning when the kids are all in school (e.g. Master Bedroom & Toilets --Mon, Bedroom 1--Tues, Bedroom 2--Wed, Living room--Thurs, Kitchen--Fri etc), and afternoon she mainly mind the kids and very light housework.

However, with this current new FDW, i don't really need her to mind the kids anymore as they are now older and can auto-pilot do their work/entertain themselves. I see her doing her assigned room/job for the day very fast and she is like standing around doing nothing.. Really. I asked her in the morning to start preparing lunch at 1030am, she finished cleaning the room at around 930am and I see her just sitting around waiting for 1030?!?! :scared: Sometimes she basically stands at the side watching whatever we are doing, waiting to be called to do some things.

I am thinking if i should up the frequency of her cleaning the house--like clean the bedroom more than once a week, wash toilets 3x a week? or smth? Do people ask FDWs to clean toilets everyday?

Sorry if my questions sounds elementary even though i have had maids before..appreciate any inputs[/quote

The floor and furniture are mopped and cleaned daily. Toilets are washed daily.

Doors, windows, fans and sofa are cleaned weekly.

Walls, curtains and interiors of book cabinets plus contents approximately every half yearly.

My kids can take care of themselves so it is only housework. My maids are comfortable with such a load.

Coolkidsrock2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby clioclio » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:34 pm

Thanks coolkidsrock2! So yr fdw cleans all the rooms and toilets daily? I think I should do that...

clioclio
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Coolkidsrock2 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:38 pm

clioclio wrote:Thanks coolkidsrock2! So yr fdw cleans all the rooms and toilets daily? I think I should do that...

The furniture and floor of entire house and toilets daily. This will include cleaning the interior of the cabinets. Will clean the tiles weekly though.

Coolkidsrock2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:42 pm

Floors and toilets should be cleaned daily.
When the maid is new, she should know what her daily work is...as time passes by, they will start to cut corners. If you cook, kitchen tiles will be oily and need to be cleaned too.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Coolkidsrock2 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:28 pm

The exterior of my kitchen cabinets, counter top, wall tiles, appliances, door and floor cleaned daily. Windows cleaned weekly cos maid a bit slow.

I don't deep fry, avoid even stir fry. Steaming, baking and grilling all contained in steamer and oven.

Weekly cleaning of the tiles mentioned above is for bathroom.

Coolkidsrock2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby clioclio » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:48 pm

Thanks for your inputs~ hubby gave her a pep talk today about being more Auto...
in these few weeks probably need to up the frequency of her cleaning the house...

clioclio
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Next

Return to Domestic Help