maid off day

With most families being dual-income-with-kids, outsourcing home cleaning and home economics to domestic helpers is almost a way of life for Singaporeans. Come in and discuss issues pertaining to maids and home management.

maid off day

Postby tworascals » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:41 pm

Hi, I have just hired a Myanmar maid. Her salary per month is $550. We actually wanted her to take Sundays off as we are usually not at home. However, we were told by agent that she only wants one Sunday off and we have to pay her an additional $20 for each Sunday. Seems like as an employer we are not given a choice on this matter. I would like to check whether this is the case for others. Advise would be much appreciated. thanks.

tworascals
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: maid off day

Postby Hiaweh » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:45 pm

You only need to pay if you need her to work on her off days. If she decides not to take the off day then, you don't have to pay her. What is stated in the contract? If it is stated that she will be taking 4 off days a month, then tell the agent that you will not pay because you don't need her on her off days.

Hiaweh
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby anyhowsay1 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:18 pm

tworascals wrote:Hi, I have just hired a Myanmar maid. Her salary per month is $550. We actually wanted her to take Sundays off as we are usually not at home. However, we were told by agent that she only wants one Sunday off and we have to pay her an additional $20 for each Sunday. Seems like as an employer we are not given a choice on this matter. I would like to check whether this is the case for others. Advise would be much appreciated. thanks.

When I hired my Myanmar maid, I told the agent that I will give 4 sundays off plus Half Saturday off every month. My family goes out every Sat evening and Sunday whole day. I told the agent I WILL NOT PAY my maid for staying at home. I called up MOM and the officers confirmed that as long as we do not let the maid do any work, no need to pay.

Having said that, my former agent actually had a different translation to MOM's ruling. The lady boss, a Filipino woman, told me that an OFF DAY is only counted when the maid goes out with her friends eventhough MOM said different things.

I realised that this is because all maids will agree profusely when they are about to embark on the job but later on, when they are settled in and have their own friends they will forget about what they have agreed upon. There are many maids, including mine, who after deciding they had enough of Singapore and domestic work, will want to break contract and they will use this NON PAID OFF DAY to twist your arm and threatened you with mistreating them. Even if your maid is on good terms with you, they will still listen to their friends thinking that this is the only way out of a contract.

MOM advised that it is better to get them to sign that they accept this agreement/arrangement with the agent as the WITNESS before the maid steps into your house.

anyhowsay1
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby anyhowsay1 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:28 pm

Tworascals,

You are the boss, you have a choice. The maid takes it or leave it. No one can force you to do something that you don't believe in. I don't believe paying a maid $20 to stay at home to watch television and sleep. I would rather give $20 away to charity to help less fortunate Singaporeans.

anyhowsay1
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby hnghng » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:43 am

May I know what time your maid go out & come back home?
Thanks.

hnghng
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby MustardSeeds » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:34 pm

Which country of the maid is better?

MustardSeeds
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Return to Domestic Help