Odour Eliminator

With most families being dual-income-with-kids, outsourcing home cleaning and home economics to domestic helpers is almost a way of life for Singaporeans. Come in and discuss issues pertaining to maids and home management.

Odour Eliminator

Postby Funz » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:13 am

Anyone has any recommendation for a good odour eliminator, whether a product or a company that provides such solutions? Namely cooking odour in the air.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Re: Odour Eliminator

Postby Jennifer » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:50 pm

Let me know when you have the solution.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MrsKiasu » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:06 pm

At my previous place, I seldom fry fish with an open wok (not using deep fryer) coz the smell can last easily till tomorrow. I don't have any solution other than open the window big big and on the fan. I m lucky with my current kitchen, the wind outside can disperse the smell very fast..we usually don't have much smell there.

i wonder if it is possible to install something fan like to suck oily smell at the kitchen window area?

MrsKiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby starlight1968sg » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:22 pm

Riding on this thread, i put used dried tea bags in the fridge to remove any smell. Is this correct? As for kitchen cabinets for storing pots, pans and plates/bowls, can do the same to keep odour away or maintain dryness?
Tks

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:23 am

MrsKiasu wrote:i wonder if it is possible to install something fan like to suck oily smell at the kitchen window area?

You're thinking like what is used in China? I don't think Singapore will allow it as it can be quite polluting. Do you have a cooker hood? It's supposed to deal with this sort of thing. I have one now but hardly use is as I don't fry stuff, but one of my previous tenants asked for one. Originally, I didn't install one.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MrsKiasu » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:51 am

slmkhoo wrote:
MrsKiasu wrote:i wonder if it is possible to install something fan like to suck oily smell at the kitchen window area?

You're thinking like what is used in China? I don't think Singapore will allow it as it can be quite polluting. Do you have a cooker hood? It's supposed to deal with this sort of thing. I have one now but hardly use is as I don't fry stuff, but one of my previous tenants asked for one. Originally, I didn't install one.

I have cooker hood but think it emits out to inside the house after that(?)

I was thinking of the fan type that I saw at some hawker places ..but many years ago. Now never take notice dunno if they still use it.

MrsKiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:00 am

MrsKiasu wrote:
slmkhoo wrote:

I have cooker hood but think it emits out to inside the house after that(?)

I was thinking of the fan type that I saw at some hawker places ..but many years ago. Now never take notice dunno if they still use it.

I think most cooker hoods have some absorbant material which needs to be replaced or cleaned periodically. If your is re-emitting into the house, then it doesn't seem be be serving any purpose! Or maybe it's not strong enough.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Funz » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:21 am

I am looking for a solution not for my home. My home is ok as I can open all doors and windows.

It's for one of my centre which is fully air-conditioned. For the safety of the kids, I cannot leave the doors to the outdoor play area open as we are not allowed to install gates.The cooker hood and exhaust in the kitchen helps a little but the smell still lingers and over time, it is quite off-putting as layers of smell build upon it, the cooking odour, the smell of the disinfectants and cleaning agents that we use, all the smell of the various repellants that kids use, etc

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby slmkhoo » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:51 am

Funz wrote:I am looking for a solution not for my home. My home is ok as I can open all doors and windows.

It's for one of my centre which is fully air-conditioned. For the safety of the kids, I cannot leave the doors to the outdoor play area open as we are not allowed to install gates.The cooker hood and exhaust in the kitchen helps a little but the smell still lingers and over time, it is quite off-putting as layers of smell build upon it, the cooking odour, the smell of the disinfectants and cleaning agents that we use, all the smell of the various repellants that kids use, etc

I don't know the answers to your question, but maybe if you have friends in the restaurant business they may have ideas?

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Funz » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:03 am

Haha, yes I have. Theirs is heavy duty exhaust which is super noisy and kitchen is closed off from main dining area. Even then, some restaurants also face this problem which is why we prefer to dine outdoors in some of them.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Domestic Help