All About Full-Time Maids

With most families being dual-income-with-kids, outsourcing home cleaning and home economics to domestic helpers is almost a way of life for Singaporeans. Come in and discuss issues pertaining to maids and home management.

What do you think of MOM's policies for Full-Time Domestic Workers (ie. maids)?

The policies are pro-employer
4%
The policies are well balanced and fair to both employers and maids
9%
The policies are pro-employee (ie. pro-maid)
86%

Total votes : 536

All About Full-Time Maids

Postby tamarind » Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:13 am

Title: Maid hitting baby

I have added a new maid in my blog, and included a short video of her hitting a baby :-(

Make sure you check out my blog :

http://singaporemaidcomments.blogspot.c ... ipino.html

This maid has not been blacklisted. You may end up employing her ! So please take note of her particulars if you are planning to employ a new maid. My blog also includes a list of other maids to avoid.
Last edited by tamarind on Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tamarind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby hquek » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:18 pm

Thanks Tamarind for the link.

I like that there are plenty of details. Only worrying thing is if they enter under another name as there aren't any pictures in some cases.

I just wish that there is a place where we can find out more about potential maids - rather than from interested sources. So many instances of mismatched parties, or maids who come here with little intent to do the work they were hired for.

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby tamarind » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:42 pm

hquek,
You are right that they may enter by another name. I am glad that some employers sent in the photos of their maids so we can still recognize them.

MOM does check the thumbprint of the maids, and if they found a new maid matching an old record, but with a different name, that maid will be sent back to her own country.

tamarind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Fettuccine » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:07 pm

After visiting this site, I got a bit scared. I'm new and just got the cert to hire one. I thought generally Fillipinos are ok, as I heard from friends. Thought they are more compassionate and less violent then the rest...

Has anyone got any maids from Signature Employment? As far as I know, the agency is accredited with Casetrust, and their service seems friendly. As for the maids, I have absolutely no idea.

Anyone has any good recommendations for Fillipino maids or any other recommendations for good employment agency around East Coast/Katong area?

I just need help mainly with household chores, cooking and taking care of my other 2 kids (age 4 and 6) :D

Fettuccine
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby EN » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:33 pm

Hi Tamarind

Thanks for the blog. It's scary! I'm actually at the cross road as to whether to hire a new maid or go maidless. My maid contract ending 21st Sep this year. Either options looking daunting. Siggghhhh...

EN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ChiefKiasu » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:47 pm

Have you all seen this infamous set of videos? I think the abuse is just about the worst I've seen. (Update - sorry... the videos were removed from youtube already.)

Here're my experience with maids:
Indonesian - Most compliant, hardworking, but lacks initiative and poor hygiene.

Myanmar - Very hardworking and willing to learn, but poor communications and lacks experience

Philippines - Reasonably hardworking, good comms skills, high initiative but with a mind of their own.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby MMM » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:35 am

Does maids get jail for mild abuse? Just like how employers will get highlighted for abuse as well. I think it's wrong for 'ers to abuse maids. But on the other hand, I feel that there should be clearer msg sent out to the maids that if they are caught abusing the kids, then they will be publicise too.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby tamarind » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:59 am

If this maid is reported to the police for slapping a baby very hard on the face, the mommy will have to go through a lot of trouble. The Filipino embassy will definitely send a lawyer to defend her. The mommy will have to get a lawyer to fight the case. Before the case is settled, which may take a long time, the mommy will be barred from employing another maid.

The mommy has another toddler to look after. So in most cases like this, the maid will simply be sent back to her own country.

The same maid can easily get another employer in Singapore again :(

tamarind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby tamarind » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:02 am

EN wrote:Hi Tamarind

Thanks for the blog. It's scary! I'm actually at the cross road as to whether to hire a new maid or go maidless. My maid contract ending 21st Sep this year. Either options looking daunting. Siggghhhh...

Whether you get a good maid or not, depends on your luck.

I changed a total of 8 maids, before I get my current maid, who is a very good maid.

If your maid is not too bad, you may want to consider extending her contract. A good maid is very hard to find !

tamarind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby matrix0405 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:46 am

This is a very good post. 3 mth baby also can slap; obviously something wrong in her mind. Glad to see you caught and got rid of her before more trouble. Can you let us know what is the model of the camera you used to catch that footage?

matrix0405
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Domestic Help