All About Full-Time Maids

With most families being dual-income-with-kids, outsourcing home cleaning and home economics to domestic helpers is almost a way of life for Singaporeans. Come in and discuss issues pertaining to maids and home management.

What do you think of MOM's policies for Full-Time Domestic Workers (ie. maids)?

The policies are pro-employer
4%
The policies are well balanced and fair to both employers and maids
11%
The policies are pro-employee (ie. pro-maid)
84%

Total votes: 638

xerith
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: All About Full-Time Maids

Post by xerith » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:04 pm

Hi, my Fillipino maid just came back to tell me that i need to sign a new 2 year contract with her in order to renew her passport which is expiring in August 2017. Her existing contract is until December 2017 so I'm not sure why I need to sign a new 2 year contract now.

We called the maid agency who gave her this advice and they bluntly said that it is requested by the Philippines Embassy and that we have to sign.

Did anyone encounter this before? We are not sure if we want to keep her for another 2 years so we don't want to be threatened to sign for no reason.

1. Is this a real requirement for passport renewal for Filipino FDW?
2. If I don't renew her passport, is there any problem when it expires?
3. Are employers obliged to renew the passport for the FDW?

(I am aware that I could also try to ask the embassy, but just want to check first if anyone else encountered same situation)
Thanks.

Snow24
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by Snow24 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:58 pm

Hi
If you not renewing her contract.As long as her passport has not expire when she fly home (one way) she can still board the plane back to her home country.

annang
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by annang » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:04 pm

Do we have to buy insurance for maids?

gracie80
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by gracie80 » Thu May 18, 2017 1:27 am

you should have insurance for your maid. when they fall sick and if they get admitted to hospital, you wil have to pay a bomb for their medical bills.

jamie1612
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by jamie1612 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:25 pm

Don't ever hire maid from SG TRANSFER MAID http://www.sgtransfermaid.com/ #03-22 at Far East Shopping Centre and level 4 lucky plaza! The after sales service is horrible! I have hired 2 maids from this agency (one is due to replacement) and both maids have the same problem and have been using hp secretly when working even when she's feeding my son. One is from Indonesia and Myanmar. The boss of the agency gave us some recommendation and claimed the maid is very good, know how to cook and very hardworking and have high interest in cooking and doing housework. All is bullshit and are lies, this agency is very dishonest. Now i can finally understand why the other boss has left and set up another maid agency on his own. Myanmar one likes to use hp till very late 12am and still don't want to sleep. Whenever i scold her, she will turn her face away and no eye contact with you, like giving you attitude that she's not happy. We can either chose to send her back or proceed with transfer but we will have to pay for her lodging for 15 days which is $15 per day. After discussing with my husband, we decide to just buy a ticket and send her home to save the trouble and just in case if there's anything happen, we do not have to bear. Anyway, she is not a good worker for the next employer as she keep using her hp all day as her husband is in Singapore. And i can't believe that the agency ask me to book the air ticket myself to send her back and if i were to request them to book ticket for me, i will need to pay for service charge??? OMG what is this. Furthermore, their monthly salary for Myanmar and indonesia maids are quite high $650 per month with 2 off days. This agency is highly not recommended.

Amona7
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Amona7 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:09 pm

Hi all,
We have been hiring maids from one of the maid agency for last 6 years.This time when we hired a Indonesian transfer maid in January,she worked only for one & half months and wanted a transfer.We did mention to the agency but they were not keen in finding a transfer maid in replacement. Since the maid did not want to work,we had no maid for a month. They insisted we take a new one,which we did.The 2nd maid after working for 2months now wants to transfer as well.We seem to have been caught in a trap.The new ones who come in have adjustment problems and miss home.
The agency tells us they don't have any transfer maids.
What should we do?

maylim1980
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by maylim1980 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:32 pm

gracie80 wrote:you should have insurance for your maid. when they fall sick and if they get admitted to hospital, you wil have to pay a bomb for their medical bills.
true! i spent almost close to 2k for her medical bills..

lovestudy
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by lovestudy » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:15 pm

I think having a hired help can benefit some families, especially those with parents who are both working. However, it is sop to do a sort-of background check and interview to make sure you'll click. You'll be seeing each other everyday so having a harmonious relationship is crucial.

penmighty
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by penmighty » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:30 pm

gracie80 wrote:you should have insurance for your maid. when they fall sick and if they get admitted to hospital, you wil have to pay a bomb for their medical bills.
no need qua... How expensive can their medical bills be anyways?

H W W
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by H W W » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:36 am

If you are employing a FDW , you definitely have bought insurance for her. That is one of the conditions for a WP.