All About Full-Time Maids

With most families being dual-income-with-kids, outsourcing home cleaning and home economics to domestic helpers is almost a way of life for Singaporeans. Come in and discuss issues pertaining to maids and home management.

What do you think of MOM's policies for Full-Time Domestic Workers (ie. maids)?

The policies are pro-employer
4%
The policies are well balanced and fair to both employers and maids
11%
The policies are pro-employee (ie. pro-maid)
85%

Total votes: 631

Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:106

Re: All About Full-Time Maids

Post by Estéema » Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:19 pm

I gave the example of pino bcoz I spoke to one pino girl of my frd. I hv always taken Indo maids & nvr likes pino girls, until the old guards fr Indo started showing lots of problems. I’ve been having Mynmar girls for the last 8 years. I chose those only originally fr Chin State (not tt Chin State 100% good girls coz they’re all human) , but had less attitude problems & I love them all.

So, I’m not referring to anybody else’s maid. Just sharing.

My take has always been if any staff (even in my mgt of staff in Spore) hv attitude problems, within the week, I’ll send the individual packing. I’ve only sent one girl back to Agency in my lifetime of employing maids & always sent them direct home to home-country & hometown. Nvr even to Batam coz too easy for them to return to hound other innocent SG families. I hope by doing so, it doesn’t limit them fr finding their way back easily & hope they’ll feel the pinch having to pay the agents all over again & hope they learn to behave better & respect eyers better rather to act like Divas. Nobody owes them a living, not even their own corrupt govts. Certainly, I sent them packing asap coz I don’t want my spirit to be vexed nor my family members to feel any stress. I’ve always started my helpers by telling them “We employ you to help take care of my family & kids, so u take care of us & we can then take care of you so I can send yr hard earn salary home to yr children & family.

Poppyy
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by Poppyy » Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:35 pm

arsenalgirl wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:31 pm
honkah wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:54 am
She has a light workload and yet abuses your generosity. Good thing you figure this out earlier. I could not imagine if you let her same for more days or months.
Yeahh and to think she was shocked on the day we decided to let her go....come on lah u wake up late daily and can see we are visibly upset....we try to counsel you nicely...talk to you....scold you and explain to you why you have to get on time...yet all you can say is ' i will try harder' and then get up late again....u try for 2-3 days and nxt few days again you cant get up....so selfish...and i'm also pregnant now with #2....she doesnt care about my health ( obviously ) that this is shooting my blood pressure up just seeing her face daily when she gets up late.....and did i mention when she gets up late she acts as if it's such a huge effort on her part getting up....and she is so tired she has to sprawl on the table....or go back to her room to lie down??!? This is such huge disrepect to your employer who's paying you monthly....worse is she does not even show any form of remorse when we sent her back...still kept starring fiercely at us...
Maid from hell

Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by Estéema » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:26 pm

I have had engaged an Indo helper very many years ago, whom I interviewed before she return to her hometown after 4 years working with an SG family. Was pleased with her experiences & she spoke reasonable English. She indicated that her eyer wanted to renew her WP but tt she was suppose to go with her hubby to Taiwan for his work posting. When her hubby’s job fell thro, her eyer alr had engaged a replacement helper hence she needs a job.

We agreed for her to return after 1 mthbof rests with her family, but she requested for ano 2 weeks for her sister’s wedding. 2 mths after arrival, she started showing attitude problem or sorts. Her work level completely dropped to zero suddenly, it’s as if she had no work experience - iron my clothes & burnt them; serving half-cooked food; DH complained of musty smelling towels & shirts... When questioned, she’ll just keep silent. Then, before her 3 mths was up, she announced tt her husband wants her back coz he’s going to Taiwan after all. I counseled her & questioned why she hv no intention to complete her contract then don’t take up the job with my family. Then all the different patterns emerge - her father is hospitalized, her morher’s foot got gangrene hv nobody look after her daughter so she have to quit! What can we say? We still bought a one-way air-tic to repatriate her, still pay her up to the last day of work in SG at the airport. She insists in counting her last pay even tho not familiar how to computation & questioned us for full month’s pay!

Anyway, Indonesia is too close for comfort & the “10 years series on how to get yr eyer to send you back” is circulated too commonly. So, I’m staying away fr both Indo & pino helpers now that I’ve a reasonable source thro my mission work.

My family hv had good helpers many many years’ ago. Mum has a very hardworking & kind pino who wld hold her bladder just to ensure she watches her every minute to prevent her fr falling. We had a very self-motivated Indo helper in my early years as a new mum and she stayed with us for more than 6 years until her kids hv all grown up & we gave her a few thousand extra to start her bz back home to care for her elderly parents. But thereafter, we’ve nvr had peace till our first success with Mynmarese & since then had been engaging helpers fr Mynmar.

I’ve learnt not to take girls fr Irrawaddy or Rarkine (don’t know Mynmar girls fr where else not suitable) but was told they’ve less idea abt work ethics, hardwork, hygiene, etc. My previous Mynmar helper who had helped mobilized quite a few girls to SG, had advised tt basically Chin State girls are required to hv primary education & learning the Burmese language is compulsory in that state. That also means they’re exposed to English as a subj but those good in written work may not be good at speaking. Some had good exposure in church bcoz of missionary reaching out to Chin State whilst we need to u’stand Mynmar comprises of very fragmented society so, some can’t even communicate with each other coz they don’t speak Burmese. In most parts of Mynmar, jobs are very hard to come by, so many are very sick & weak with little food to sustain them.

I’ve visited many orphanages & homes in the country & seen too much to briefly explain here. So, just sharing tt these girls may come to our h’hold with cultural shock (they don’t bring in clothes if it rains coz sun will dry it up again; they don’t need to sweep their floor coz they don’t hv homes with nice floors to upkeep just dust & some families live on stilted homes with connected poles & plastic sheets spread over for beds. Many hv homes in stench locations, little proper drainage or circulating air. Our bedroom may be where they call home for 4-5 in one family.

Those Mynmar girls who are able to pay for their passports are alr somewhere moving towards middle-class but still in the lower rungs of society comparing with the ultra rich (again may be our SG managers or director level in comparison). Many are mobilized & sent thro agents (who were their monks, pastor or village leaders who will provide ‘some English’ lessons they call training & meals of rice & a veg). All these so they’re to contribute their first few months of salary as gratitude). I’ve recently met such an agent, who claimed he shld charge more than 2 mths of these girls’ salary bcoz he trained them as oppose to SG agents who don’t train them & take 2 mths fr the girls.

If we point a finger at the girls who come here with fears & apprehensions, I find these ‘agents’ more oppressive. The audacity of how that ‘agebt’ I met thro his religious work to claim he shld be able to charge much more than our SG agents who had to pay license, accommodation & take on risks for which s’times are the results of girls who cldn’t fit into our fast-paced society.

It’s a nvr ending pain for everyone so long as we’re dealing with humans. Even those of our own (if u’ve heard of those local PT cleaners with their high expectations & averse for certain h’hold work). :slapshead:

CheeLin
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by CheeLin » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:34 pm

I was never lucky to having a reliable maid. Tried Myanmar, Indonesian, and Filipino made and I only have negative experiences. Because of this bad experience, I decided to work at home, accept freelance jobs and take care of my family alone.

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:37

Post by starlight1968sg » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:16 am

My helper started work with me on 12 Sep. I received a letter on her health check to be done by 4 Feb.
It is not even 6 mth.
What is the estimated cost of this health check? Am thinking of a GP nearby

Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by Estéema » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:37 am

starlight1968sg wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:16 am
My helper started work with me on 12 Sep. I received a letter on her health check to be done by 4 Feb.
It is not even 6 mth.
What is the estimated cost of this health check? Am thinking of a GP nearby
Maid’s regular health checks can be done at GP or SATA. Costs ard 30 bah. Varies btwn clinics I discovered. You gotta ask ard yr neighborhood.

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by starlight1968sg » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:12 am

Esteema
The check up has to be done during her working hours? Can ask her to do during her off day though we hv to pay for the check up?

Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by Estéema » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:20 am

I’ve nvr done that Star. Basically coz most do not know where to go, how to ask for the kind of test. I always bring them to neighborhood so it’s not difficult for me. I might just try asking my current one to do her own & pay for it. :scratchhead:

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by starlight1968sg » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:30 am

Esteema
If it is during her 'working' hours, it means I hv to bring my dad along.
May I say that this check up shld not be done using her off day?
Thank you.

manorway
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:5

Post by manorway » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:01 am

CheeLin wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:34 pm
I was never lucky to having a reliable maid. Tried Myanmar, Indonesian, and Filipino made and I only have negative experiences. Because of this bad experience, I decided to work at home, accept freelance jobs and take care of my family alone.
Same here! I gave up on maids.
We had maids who stole from us and even my children’s piggy banks, maid who dressed inappropriately (cleavage revealing tops and shorts that were so short I could see her butt when I walked behind her)!

My last maid was so rude! First 2 months she was ok. By 3rd month, true colour was out. She threw the mop on the floor when I told her she missed a part of the room during mopping. If she did anything wrong, and I pointed out, she would bang door!

We let her wake up at 7am while we woke up at 6am to make kids breakfast and sent to school because we were used to doing morning routine anyway. So we thought no need for her to wake at 6am.

Supposed to end her day at 9pm but by end of month 2, she rushed through her chores and showered by 8pm and went to her room while my family was eating dinner! I must knock on door many times before she came out to wash dishes with a black face. Crappy attitude.