All About Full-Time Maids

With most families being dual-income-with-kids, outsourcing home cleaning and home economics to domestic helpers is almost a way of life for Singaporeans. Come in and discuss issues pertaining to maids and home management.

What do you think of MOM's policies for Full-Time Domestic Workers (ie. maids)?

The policies are pro-employer
4%
The policies are well balanced and fair to both employers and maids
11%
The policies are pro-employee (ie. pro-maid)
84%

Total votes: 638

Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:112

Re: All About Full-Time Maids

Post by Estéema » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:02 pm

Majority of SG agencies are to some small & big extent limiting their liabilities, defecting either to the FDW or push to eyers to bear.

Unlike in the very old days, where helpers are at least trained more thoroughly, the current generation of FDWs are entitlement orientated & what they learned are mostly fr peer FDWs how to “get out of contract” to cut short their woes the moment things are not within manage (incidence which wld hv been averted if proper training are given). H’ever, I must qualify there are those in this generation of FDWs with poor attitude, not wanting to give their best foot fwd.

I hope in good time, MOM can establish compulsory & comprehensive FDW training that goes beyond a one-day familiarization or what they call settling-in course. Many things cannot sink into a young girl’s mind so immediately esp when they’ve nvr leave home/travelled out of their country & the mind and emotions are cluttered. They’re easy prey to negative influences. IMHO, a new girl need more than a day to learn abt a diff culture & to behave in a society w/o taking things to a violent end. Sad

chenlaoshi
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Total Likes:66

Post by chenlaoshi » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:35 pm

As the Father narrate and "reenact" the incident, can tell that the poor girl is mentally scarred... "Luckily", it's just hands and not somewhere else like the face.

arsenalgirl
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by arsenalgirl » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:22 pm

chenlaoshi wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:35 pm

As the Father narrate and "reenact" the incident, can tell that the poor girl is mentally scarred... "Luckily", it's just hands and not somewhere else like the face.
Sighs what a lousy and vile maid....no surprise where she's from as well....the maids from that particular place I've not heard many good things about them.....stubborn, not trained...come here as princess for holiday.....very self entitled...not here to work hard for $$....I think more regulations should be in place for them ( from Myanmmar)- Often times i think they just push these young girls here and these 'young girls' dont know what is expected of them in a 'helpers' role....

divisathish
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by divisathish » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:17 pm

yes a good maid is too hard to find

michtan88
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by michtan88 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:19 pm

Hi friends with babies or kids, do you allow your helped to take care of your babies when they wake up in the middle of the night? or do you guys do that yourself? Just wondering if I should let my helper sleep in the baby's room to help if anything.

On a side note, does any have an electricity retailer to recommend for a home with 3 adults and 1 baby? Our consumption has increased quite a bit and was considering switching to Senoko Energy - they have an online promo with lower rates.

anneffendi
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by anneffendi » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:37 pm

from my istborn to 4thborn ,i handle my own kids at night.helper is mainly doing household chores and handling of kids daytime.I want her to have ample sleep and rest .By handling my kids myself at night, the bonding is still there :-)
Am using Geneco for my home electricity.

Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:112

Post by Estéema » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:32 pm

We nvr let helpers to bathe or night feed kids. Our kids know who are the parents. Yes. It’s the bonding that’s impt.

We use Tuas Power

Coolkidsrock2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:14

Post by Coolkidsrock2 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:38 pm

We handle kids personally at all times. Helpers only perform household chore.

Using Sembcorp.

Lavender123
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by Lavender123 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:22 am

I alway wanted to hire a full-time maid but I am worry about living with a 'stranger' kind of feeling.
Any advice on this?

Poppyy
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by Poppyy » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:47 pm

Lavender123 wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:22 am
I alway wanted to hire a full-time maid but I am worry about living with a 'stranger' kind of feeling.
Any advice on this?
Hmm, I guess it depends on how badly u need the maid and how big is ur hse.
Mine she will go to one corner whenever we are having a conversation. Takes sometime to adjust I'm afraid.
If possible, try not to have one unless bobiam eg, need them To tc elderly or children