All About Full-Time Maids

With most families being dual-income-with-kids, outsourcing home cleaning and home economics to domestic helpers is almost a way of life for Singaporeans. Come in and discuss issues pertaining to maids and home management.

What do you think of MOM's policies for Full-Time Domestic Workers (ie. maids)?

The policies are pro-employer
4%
The policies are well balanced and fair to both employers and maids
11%
The policies are pro-employee (ie. pro-maid)
85%

Total votes: 631

lee_yl
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:152

Re: All About Full-Time Maids

Post by lee_yl » Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:38 am

starlight1968sg wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:05 am
How do your helpers remit money home under this situation?
We use DBS online banking at no extra charge.

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:37

Post by starlight1968sg » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:46 pm

Are your helpers staying at home during their off days?

MrsKiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:56

Post by MrsKiasu » Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:07 pm

starlight1968sg wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:46 pm
they supposed to stay home I guess..all of us only go out when buy essential items/food or exercise

Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:108

Post by Estéema » Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:13 pm

starlight1968sg wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:46 pm
Yes. They’re advised to do the same as their eyers’ h’hold. Our govt had included them in receiving a reusable mask.

Mine had not been going out since late February. She was supposed to go for her honeleave but I had to advise her to delay for her health safety. Now she’s ‘stuck with us for a bit longer I guess. She’s in touch thro Viber with her family.

We tried to include her in our supermkt trips once a week so she does feel cooped up. We’ve been doing online worship service & cldn’t find any latest Mynmar online service till today & she sat by herself for an 1-2 hours right after lunch (I don’t u’stand her language so can’t participate but surprised was able to catch the gist for today’s). We made it less mandane as kids cook their recipes on some days. Today I did Shiso Beef & it got wiped out by all coz of the accompanying gravy.

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:37

Post by starlight1968sg » Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:16 pm

Esteema
Does this mean your helper have no off days per month and you compensated her?

Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:108

Post by Estéema » Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:50 pm

starlight1968sg wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:16 pm
Esteema
Does this mean your helper have no off days per month and you compensated her?
DH and I wants to drive her behaviour to co-operate, so we explained the situation to her & for her to decide if she stays home on Sundays as early as February. She didn’t stay home the 1st Sunday after we spoke to her but on her return that Sunday, she said she doesn’t want to go out bcoz it’s not safe bcoz MRTs very crowded. We hv always done compensation at the end of event (same for our very 1st helper many many years ago) for those helpers that did well & behaved well without their prior expectations.

This current helper had been more than I can ask for, so we’ll surprise her.

On Sundays, we do not expect her to wash or clean the house. We’re thankful she was willing to but told her not necessary. Think they’ll go crazy working 24/7 for months on end! Only thankful she cook that 2 extra meals each Sundays, which we do not expect to. So, it’s just our decision to set aside sth for her when she goes on home leave. We’ve not told her abt it though.

ALevelsHistory
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by ALevelsHistory » Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:33 am

Yea I think the law should be modified to be more equal and fair to both parties

vividlaurel
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:3

Post by vividlaurel » Thu May 07, 2020 4:01 pm

Hi,

I have a question. My current helper, who has been with me for about seven years now has now secured a new employer. We really don't need a helper now, but I was just waiting for her contract to end to either transfer her to send her back. We will be ending her contract on very good terms and will continue to be in touch with her if she remains in future. Her new employer is an elderly lady and what she told me about her salary baffled me.

According to my helper, since her new employer is a single elderly woman, the government will be paying half her salary. I was surprised on hearing this since I have never heard of something like this. So what it means is that if her salary is $500, the employer pays $250 and the govt will pay either my helper or the employer $250. I do know the employer is entitled to the subsidised levy of $60 (I think). Is this what the employer is meaning and which my helper is thinking is about her salary?

My helper is a nice person and has been a good worker, so I don't want her to be short-changed if this is not true. Hence, reaching out to you all, who know so much more than me to check if this is really true?

Thanks, everyone!

ting99
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by ting99 » Tue May 19, 2020 10:21 am

Hi all, im looking for a helper who can take care of infant ... anyone has good maid to transfer? Prefer filipino =)
thanks for your recommendation.

Czeec80
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by Czeec80 » Tue May 19, 2020 1:00 pm

Coronavirus: More maids running away during circuit breaker, say advocacy groups
https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/ ... acy-groups