All About Full-Time Maids

With most families being dual-income-with-kids, outsourcing home cleaning and home economics to domestic helpers is almost a way of life for Singaporeans. Come in and discuss issues pertaining to maids and home management.

What do you think of MOM's policies for Full-Time Domestic Workers (ie. maids)?

The policies are pro-employer
4%
The policies are well balanced and fair to both employers and maids
11%
The policies are pro-employee (ie. pro-maid)
85%

Total votes: 634

JSCYY
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: All About Full-Time Maids

Post by JSCYY » Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:31 pm

Hi everyone, I just joined the forum and would like to ask for your opinion.

Will you allow your helper to use your home address for online shopping and delivery of her purchases? My helper just asked me about this and she wants to buy some accessories for herself and her friend.

I have some concerns about safety and privacy so I rejected her.

What are your thoughts?

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:38

Post by starlight1968sg » Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:38 pm

JSCYY wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:31 pm

Will you allow your helper to use your home address for online shopping and delivery of her purchases? My helper just asked me about this and she wants to buy some accessories for herself and her friend.

What are your thoughts?
The helper's home add is your add. We can't stop her letters, parcels etc from coming

JSCYY
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by JSCYY » Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:21 pm

starlight1968sg wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:38 pm
JSCYY wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:31 pm

What are your thoughts?
The helper's home add is your add. We can't stop her letters, parcels etc from coming
Ok thanks!

fireheli
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by fireheli » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:01 pm

Hello, I just joined the forum and wanted to get some opinions.

Is anyone here who has a maid and still bought a baby monitor? I'm wondering if a baby monitor would be useful if there is someone already around to attend to baby most of the time. What made you purchase a baby monitor and what is the support that a baby monitor can provide that a maid cannot?

Frollipops
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Frollipops » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:52 am

fireheli wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:01 pm
Hello, I just joined the forum and wanted to get some opinions.

Is anyone here who has a maid and still bought a baby monitor? I'm wondering if a baby monitor would be useful if there is someone already around to attend to baby most of the time. What made you purchase a baby monitor and what is the support that a baby monitor can provide that a maid cannot?
I put a camera in the room. More for accountability and safety.

Cubbyhui
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Cubbyhui » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:44 pm

I have a question here..
My son is going childcare in Sept. I intend to send my helper back earlier as she will finish her contract in Jan.
Need advises here....
I am afraid that there may not have flight back to Indonesia, however my helper likely won't be extending her stay here, what can I do
2) how early should I tell her I am sending her back? The contract written 2 weeks in advance. Some friends are telling me to only tell her only the day itself.
My helper has slow/poor understanding, quite laid-back and always show black face when I correct her. Thus, my worry is she might be unhappy to go back home in advance and worry that she may harm my family. Especially I have a toddler at home. However, if I tell her on that day that she is flying off, I felt that I am cruel. Sigh

Cubbyhui
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Cubbyhui » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:44 pm

I have a question here..
My son is going childcare in Sept. I intend to send my helper back earlier as she will finish her contract in Jan.
Need advises here....
I am afraid that there may not have flight back to Indonesia, however my helper likely won't be extending her stay here, what can I do
2) how early should I tell her I am sending her back? The contract written 2 weeks in advance. Some friends are telling me to only tell her only the day itself.
My helper has slow/poor understanding, quite laid-back and always show black face when I correct her. Thus, my worry is she might be unhappy to go back home in advance and worry that she may harm my family. Especially I have a toddler at home. However, if I tell her on that day that she is flying off, I felt that I am cruel. Sigh

Rayne19
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Rayne19 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:14 pm

Cubbyhui wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:44 pm
I have a question here..
Need advises here....
I'm new here but thought I'd give my two cents on this.

I think you should give her at least some notice since she's been working with you for quite some time (considering her contract is almost up), and she'll most likely need to make arrangements at home for her return. And given that you've stated 2 weeks in the contract, you should follow the contract. Otherwise, you'll definitely be taking a risk if she wants to report you for breaking contract.

As to your worry of her harming your family, unfortunately the only thing I can think of is either 1) don't let her take care of your toddler in these 2 weeks (although may not be practical but that's the safest bet if you're worried but want her to still continue working in your house) or 2) pay her for the 2 weeks notice and send her back immediately.

I'd personally go for (2) but understand some employers may not want to pay the extra cost.

All the best!

Rayne19
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Rayne19 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:59 am

Hi all! I'm new here but would like to ask for opinions on this case.

My family hired a maid not too long ago (less than but almost 6 months). So far she's been fine but a few days ago, she suddenly came to us during dinner to say she's having quite bad chest pain. So we asked her if she's ok and she told us she never had it before, only started when she started working for us (she never mentioned this until now). Anyway, we told her we'll take her to see a doctor tomorrow. The next day, I asked her if she's feeling better, and she told me it's still very pain but now she said it's her stomach... I told her yesterday she told me it was her chest, how come today become stomach, is it her whole body pain? And she said oh the chest is very rarely pain, it's her stomach that's very pain, and she say she thinks it's because she eat noodles every day for lunch which is bad for her health and she needs to eat rice (background on this, she eats whatever we eat and usually we eat fresh handmade [by her] noodles for lunch). I told her there's nothing unhealthy about fresh noodles and if she's not used to it maybe she can eat a bit of noodles and mixed with other carbs for a while, then slowly transit into eating more noodles over time (she's been eating noodles with us all this while and never complained by the way). And she said ok. Then at night when my mom is back, she complained to my mom the same thing and said she can use her own money to buy her own rice and eat that, if not she's scared she'd die (coz of eating too much noodles...). She even started crying! So my mom said ok, but even then she's still crying! She was literally crying the whole night till I talked to her and asked her what's she so upset about we already said ok. Then she told me my grandma said she's bad so she's upset (my grandma said no such thing that I heard). I told her she probably misunderstood/misheard my grandma, this is not what we think of her. I also told her if she's really upset she can tell us so in case it's a misunderstanding, we can clarify, and she seems ok with it (I also asked my grandma later and she said she has never even said the words 'bad/not good' to her at any point of time....). This was 2 days ago.

Now so far at night after her dinner, she'll clean the dishes etc. then go to bed first around 9.30pm (there's honestly not much for her to do in my house, we even let her sleep for 2hrs in the afternoon post lunch). Usually we only go to bed at 10.30pm when I'll wake her up to clean the shower, post which she'll go back to bed. Last night, she almost didn't wake up so I called her a few times, and she seemed quite unhappy. Since this isn't the first time this happened, we discussed and concluded instead of letting her sleep first then we interrupt her sleep, she can stay awake until she cleans the shower. So I told her that this evening and that if she has nothing to do, she can just sit around first until then (if we're not done by 11pm, we'll clean it ourselves and she can just go sleep). She then tells me she can't sit for so long because it's bad for her back (?????). So I said fine if you don't want to sit you can ask for more work, plenty of work to be done. Then she says ok. So tonight, she's just sitting on the couch from 9.30 onwards and when I came out of the shower, I noticed her crying AGAIN!

Is this a normal thing??? Like I didn't even scold her or anything really don't know why is she so upset. So far we've been more than reasonable with her, if she did anything wrong we never scold only tell her what she needs to do moving forward, if we buy anything fancy we always ask if she wants and give her a share, we let her eat as much as she wants and let her rest when she's done with her chores. We're even paying her the higher end of usual maid salary!

Please let me know your opinions, really at a loss of what to do... Appreciate any feedback, even criticisms.

:thankyou:

Odelia Choo
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Odelia Choo » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:03 pm

Hi all! I'm new here and need to seek help whose helper is still stuck in their home country.

My helper went back for home leave on 17 March 2020 before the circuit breaker came in. We have apply for her to come back in June and apply the permit entry but each time when the permit entry is approved, the airlines will cancelled the flight. This is the 3rd time I have apply for her to come back and this time I was told I need to pay for her SHN and swab test. I thought that before the circuit breaker she leave Singapore she does not need to pay, is it true? I am really in a dilemma now.

Appreciate any feedback. Thanks