2019 P1 Registration Exercise for 2020 In-take

Work your way through the complex rituals of Primary One Registration. This is where you find out more about the dream school you have always wanted for your kid.
Post Reply
Bentley88
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Apr 14,

Re: 2019 P1 Registration Exercise for 2020 In-take

Post by Bentley88 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:15 pm

Hi all, anyone else's son also going to ACS(P) next year?

We are under Phase 2A(1), which I believe should be straight forward without any ballot.

rainsj
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Nov 02,

Re: 2019 P1 Registration Exercise for 2020 In-take

Post by rainsj » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:44 pm

Hi, I’m newbie here, wish to check with the parents here for my daughter primary 1 registration for 2020 intake.

I have just got my citizenship approval in principal (applying as a family including my daughter), will get my temporary ic roughly on mid of May and citizenship certificate ard Aug-Sept.

According to ICA, i have become a Singapore Citizen upon registration and after taken the Oath of Renunciation.

But my daughter does not require to take the oath till she turns 18 and her citizenship certificate will only be ready by September.

So may i know how do we produce the Singapore citizenships certificate for my case?

Thanks for your advice.

estherc
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Nov 13,

Re: 2019 P1 Registration Exercise for 2020 In-take

Post by estherc » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:19 am

If you are concern about TNS Chinese and Chinese-sy environment, “surprised!” Hong Wen is the same. Both are SAP schools.

Single gender school is a downside only if you have another son. And depending on the age gap, may not even be an issue.

Therefore, CHIJ TP would be a good option. Much nearer than TNS, without the balloting risk of HWS. You don’t have to worry about Chinese and besides, you are going via religious affiliation, you could look for another Catholic boys’ school for your son(s).
Thanks Floppy, we will consider the advice. Hubby and I think entering at phase 2A1 has better chances than 2B. Some of our friends even suggested we enroll first in SAP school and she can always transfer out to chij tp later on if the stress proves too much for her.

Dd has been attending Chinese group enrichment since k1 and we will switch to private 1-1 tuition by end of this year to give her the boost she needs. Tonight was a breakthrough- she started conversing in mandarin with me as well.

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 6269
Joined: Wed Jul 31,
Total Likes:127

Re: 2019 P1 Registration Exercise for 2020 In-take

Post by floppy » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:50 am

estherc wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:19 am
If you are concern about TNS Chinese and Chinese-sy environment, “surprised!” Hong Wen is the same. Both are SAP schools.

Single gender school is a downside only if you have another son. And depending on the age gap, may not even be an issue.

Therefore, CHIJ TP would be a good option. Much nearer than TNS, without the balloting risk of HWS. You don’t have to worry about Chinese and besides, you are going via religious affiliation, you could look for another Catholic boys’ school for your son(s).
Thanks Floppy, we will consider the advice. Hubby and I think entering at phase 2A1 has better chances than 2B. Some of our friends even suggested we enroll first in SAP school and she can always transfer out to chij tp later on if the stress proves too much for her.

Dd has been attending Chinese group enrichment since k1 and we will switch to private 1-1 tuition by end of this year to give her the boost she needs. Tonight was a breakthrough- she started conversing in mandarin with me as well.
Entering Phase 2A1 is almost guaranteed vs Phase 2B. However, as CHIJ TP usually ballot > 2km, it may not make much of a difference to you. Nonetheless, if you are concern, you can always register in TNS in Phase 2A1 and withdraw / re-register in CHIJ TP in Phase 2B if you are certain that there’s no balloting involved.

TBH, Chinese is hardly a deciding factor. Most kids have a poor grasp of Chinese at K1 / K2 and dramatically improved in Pri. The real issue you should consider is distance and convenience from home to school. If there’s a direct transport from home to school, I would think it’s probably ok. Otherwise, you will have to fetch / send for 6 years. If driving, do give it a spin one morning and assess whether that’s a journey you are happy making for the next 6 years. I doubt school bus is an available option.

Lastly, a lot of people are quick to offer transfer as if it’s an easily available option. It’s not. The receiving school will have to accept you and it’s usually subjected to demand / supply. A popular school like CHIJ TP, unfortunately, has more demand than supply (e.g. I can think of a lot of MCS girls / parents who would jump ship to CHIJ TP if given the opportunity). Plus, if the stress is too much and her result isn’t good enough, it’s less likely that the receiving school will accept you. Your alternatives to TNS, if you are looking to transfer, are more likely schools like Bendemeer, Farrer Park etc.

Given the pros / cons and what-nots, I still think CHIJ TP is a much more attractive option, assuming you can get through Phase 2B without having to ballot. Being affiliated to its secondary school is also a huge plus. Alternatively, you can apply to TNS and look to shift house in future.

anitaray
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Mar 21,

Re: 2019 P1 Registration Exercise for 2020 In-take

Post by anitaray » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:25 pm

Hi dear fellow parents,

I m new here :) My son is registering P1 this year and we will go for Catholic High 2A(1) - i suppose it is right given my hubby is alumni. Does any parents know whether 2A1 for CHS is guaranteed? as we stay very far so no chance if balloting is required. I saw some statistics but only with "registered at 2A1" without showing whether all got it the place.

many thanks and good luck to all of us :)


entei17
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Nov 14,

Re: 2019 P1 Registration Exercise for 2020 In-take

Post by entei17 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:33 pm

rainsj wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:44 pm
Hi, I’m newbie here, wish to check with the parents here for my daughter primary 1 registration for 2020 intake.

I have just got my citizenship approval in principal (applying as a family including my daughter), will get my temporary ic roughly on mid of May and citizenship certificate ard Aug-Sept.

According to ICA, i have become a Singapore Citizen upon registration and after taken the Oath of Renunciation.

But my daughter does not require to take the oath till she turns 18 and her citizenship certificate will only be ready by September.

So may i know how do we produce the Singapore citizenships certificate for my case?

Thanks for your advice.
You should call up MOE or the primary school of your choice to get a definitive answer.

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 6269
Joined: Wed Jul 31,
Total Likes:127

Re: 2019 P1 Registration Exercise for 2020 In-take

Post by floppy » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:38 pm

anitaray wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:25 pm
Hi dear fellow parents,

I m new here :) My son is registering P1 this year and we will go for Catholic High 2A(1) - i suppose it is right given my hubby is alumni. Does any parents know whether 2A1 for CHS is guaranteed? as we stay very far so no chance if balloting is required. I saw some statistics but only with "registered at 2A1" without showing whether all got it the place.

many thanks and good luck to all of us :)
I assume when you said your hubby is an alumni, it means that he had joined the alumni association before 30 Jun 2018. He would have to request for a letter from Catholic High Alumni Secretariat to verify his membership status and present to the school during the registration exercise. Only then would he be eligible for Phase 2A1.

Unfortunately, the school ballot for SC > 2km last year in Phase 2A1. Could be due to the Dragon Year boom or could be due to more people wanting to secure an early slot, regardless of where they stay. Either way, you have to be prepared for a balloting outcome.

waynekwek1975
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Mar 18,

Re: 2019 P1 Registration Exercise for 2020 In-take

Post by waynekwek1975 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:58 pm

Hi all.

My daughter will be entering P1 in 2020 and we're staying at Telok Blangah. (wondering why no one posts any queries on below schools). If I apply as below choices, which school will she most probably go to?
1) Radin Mas (1-2km) - Phase 2C
2) Zhangde (1-2km) - Phase 2Cs
3) CHIJ (Kellocks) (1-2km) - MOE assist
4) Gan Eng Seng (1-2km) - MOE assist
5) Blangah Rise (<1km)

Thanks!

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 2410
Joined: Tue Jan 03,
Total Likes:38

Re: 2019 P1 Registration Exercise for 2020 In-take

Post by zac's mum » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:02 pm

What does MOE assist mean?

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 6269
Joined: Wed Jul 31,
Total Likes:127

Re: 2019 P1 Registration Exercise for 2020 In-take

Post by floppy » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:06 pm

zac's mum wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:02 pm
What does MOE assist mean?
I think it means to let MOE find you a place in a school with vacancy.
It's the twilight zone phase between Phase 2CS and Phase 3.

Post Reply