Affiliated Schools and their COPs

Work your way through the complex rituals of Primary One Registration. This is where you find out more about the dream school you have always wanted for your kid.
zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:94

Re: Affiliated Schools and their COPs

Post by zac's mum » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:33 am

20% cap is for each course.

See screenshot of ACSJ P6 parent briefing slides. Which is available to public on their website, nothing secret.

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:205

Post by phtthp » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:41 am

cool_hi wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:13 am
Hihi! Can i clarify..the 20percent reserved for non-affiliated students,does it include NA,NT with Express? Or only 20percent of Express stream?

So far,from what i read,this is not clearly stated,or i may have missed something/misinterpreted in my readings:)

My next psle kid in 2 yr time does not have affiliation..checking for my niece in FMPS..
Thanks in advance..
Hi cool_hi,

It is based on "Per stream".
Each stream will set aside, reserve 20 percent of seats, for external students

So, is

- 20 percent of OP (O-level Program or Express stream),

- 20 percent of NA (Normal Academic stream),

- 20 percent of NT (Normal Technical stream)

You can find out, in that Secondary school that your niece is interested in, for this year (2019), that school open

- how many Sec 1 OP classes,
- how many Sec 1 NA classes,
- how many Sec 1 NT classes ?

Assume Mainstream Sec 1 around 40 students, per class

take (40 x number of classes, per stream) = Total number of Sec 1 students, per stream

Then, take 0.2 x this Total number, will give u an idea roughly, how many seats are allocated to Non-affliated pupils (outside, external students from other schools)

20 percent is 0.2

==================

For Secondary schools that have NA and NT stream, what happen is,
after EOY Sec 1 exam, if Normal stream students perform well academically, schools will have their own internal, selection, Promotional criteria,

- to promote certain Sec 1 students from NA stream, into OP stream,

and

- to promote certain Sec 1 students from NT stream, into NA stream

For this, need to check with the individual Secondary school, what kind of "Promotional " internal criteria they have.

At least, this is how it works, until the "G1 / G2 / G3 " kick in (implementation)

EOY : End-of-the-year
Last edited by phtthp on Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:177

Post by floppy » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:52 am

zac's mum wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:33 am

See screenshot of ACSJ P6 parent briefing slides. Which is available to public on their website, nothing secret.

Thanks.

Which means this will be valid for the next few years until SBB kicks in, then it will be based on per band ???

doodbug
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:14

Post by doodbug » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:06 am

I was told the 20% min requirement is for each stream. Hence, there won't be a 'none posted' scenario, unless the 20% were all taken up by DSA which is unlikely.

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:94

Post by zac's mum » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:10 am

floppy wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:52 am
zac's mum wrote:

Thanks.

Which means this will be valid for the next few years until SBB kicks in, then it will be based on per band ???
No change to this 20% cap per stream when SBB kicks in. Because the PSLE score will still be used to channel the kids to the 3 streams (Express/NA/NT) - these 3 streams will still exist at face value.

Only later on, once start Sec 1, then the SBB will be used to “band” the modular, subjects G level that the kids will take. Each kid will have a customized timetable depending on which G level they are taking for each subject.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:160

Post by Nebbermind » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:05 pm

zac's mum wrote:

so ACSI (StNics) should be able to achieve the 20% since their IP has significant no. of kids from other schools, ya?

MerlionInGermany
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:11

Post by MerlionInGermany » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:23 pm

Nebbermind wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:05 pm
zac's mum wrote:

so ACSI (StNics) should be able to achieve the 20% since their IP has significant no. of kids from other schools, ya?
Last time they said before that only about 7 sec schools take in less than 20% non-affiliated students. So these would be the ones that may feel the impact. The rest should be business as usual.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:160

Post by Nebbermind » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:34 pm

MerlionInGermany wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:23 pm
Last time they said before that only about 7 sec schools take in less than 20% non-affiliated students. So these would be the ones that may feel the impact. The rest should be business as usual.
hmmm...I probably said it before somewhere in KSP...out of the 7, 3 are probably Methodist schools - PLMGS, ACSBR and FMSS. CHIJ(TP) and SASS possibly too.

MerlionInGermany
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by MerlionInGermany » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:44 pm

Nebbermind wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:34 pm
MerlionInGermany wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:23 pm
hmmm...I probably said it before somewhere in KSP...out of the 7, 3 are probably Methodist schools - PLMGS, ACSBR and FMSS. CHIJ(TP) and SASS possibly too.
Maybe Kuo Chuan also? St Hilda’s?

MerlionInGermany
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by MerlionInGermany » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:48 pm

Nebbermind wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:05 pm
zac's mum wrote:

Just re read and noticed you mentioned IP.
IP has no affiliation for these 2 (and the other dual track schools with pri sections).
Their O level stream will be under this rule but I dont think these are the 6-8 schools MOE mentioned.