All about Transferring to Other Primary Schools

Work your way through the complex rituals of Primary One Registration. This is where you find out more about the dream school you have always wanted for your kid.
Post Reply
manorway
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Posts: 113
Joined: Fri Jul 31,
Total Likes:2

Re: All about Transferring to Other Primary Schools

Post by manorway » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:30 pm

zac's mum wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:07 am
Musical chairs has not commenced yet for P4 (2020). Must wait for those P3 kids selected for GEP to accept their GEP offer (if they wish), indicate their 3 choices, wait for MOE to allocate the places to them around December. Only then will there be vacant seats freed up in their “abandoned” schools.

FYI hearsay there were 11 boys from ACSJ offered GEP. Not sure how many will choose to be transferred out.
zac's mum, do you know how many passed R1?

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 3131
Joined: Tue Jan 03,
Total Likes:103

Re: All about Transferring to Other Primary Schools

Post by zac's mum » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:34 am

manorway wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:30 pm
zac's mum wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:07 am
Musical chairs has not commenced yet for P4 (2020). Must wait for those P3 kids selected for GEP to accept their GEP offer (if they wish), indicate their 3 choices, wait for MOE to allocate the places to them around December. Only then will there be vacant seats freed up in their “abandoned” schools.

FYI hearsay there were 11 boys from ACSJ offered GEP. Not sure how many will choose to be transferred out.
zac's mum, do you know how many passed R1?
I don’t know exact number. Guesstimate is around 63.

Sheena8
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Posts: 115
Joined: Thu Mar 08,

Re: All about Transferring to Other Primary Schools

Post by Sheena8 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:22 pm

For those parents who transferred their child to another school, does your child had a hard time adapting to the new environment? How was their first few weeks in school? My sister is planning to have her child be transferred to another school next school year, but I told her not to do so because she might not be able to adapt easily and could cause her poor performance in school.

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 3131
Joined: Tue Jan 03,
Total Likes:103

Re: All about Transferring to Other Primary Schools

Post by zac's mum » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:32 pm

Sheena8 wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:22 pm
For those parents who transferred their child to another school, does your child had a hard time adapting to the new environment? How was their first few weeks in school? My sister is planning to have her child be transferred to another school next school year, but I told her not to do so because she might not be able to adapt easily and could cause her poor performance in school.
It depends on the child’s personality and the family’s circumstances doesn’t it?

If the child is extremely shy, or needs a very fixed routine and not adaptable kind, then don’t transfer.

But sometimes parents want to transfer because child is being bullied at current school and school doesn’t want to resolve the issue, or the new school has affiliated secondary, or the new school is simply nearer to their house. If the pros outweigh the cons then go for it.

manorway
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Posts: 113
Joined: Fri Jul 31,
Total Likes:2

Re: All about Transferring to Other Primary Schools

Post by manorway » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:07 am

zac's mum wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:34 am
manorway wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:30 pm
zac's mum wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:07 am
Musical chairs has not commenced yet for P4 (2020). Must wait for those P3 kids selected for GEP to accept their GEP offer (if they wish), indicate their 3 choices, wait for MOE to allocate the places to them around December. Only then will there be vacant seats freed up in their “abandoned” schools.

FYI hearsay there were 11 boys from ACSJ offered GEP. Not sure how many will choose to be transferred out.
zac's mum, do you know how many passed R1?
I don’t know exact number. Guesstimate is around 63.
63 is very low. I understand from relatives when kids were there a few years ago that the numbers were always around 100. I recall one year 120 passed round 1.


zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 3131
Joined: Tue Jan 03,
Total Likes:103

Re: All about Transferring to Other Primary Schools

Post by zac's mum » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:49 am

manorway wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:07 am
zac's mum wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:34 am
manorway wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:30 pm


zac's mum, do you know how many passed R1?
I don’t know exact number. Guesstimate is around 63.
63 is very low. I understand from relatives when kids were there a few years ago that the numbers were always around 100. I recall one year 120 passed round 1.
This year is Tiger year cohort, which had low birth rate. As far as I know, GEB selects a fixed percentage 10%, then 1% of the cohort, not a fixed number.

Hearsay this year the final 1% only 400+ kids got into GEP, whereas last year was 500+.

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 3131
Joined: Tue Jan 03,
Total Likes:103

Re: All about Transferring to Other Primary Schools

Post by zac's mum » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:52 am

And in case anyone is interested in more stats, in any given year, ~20% of the selected ACSJ boys choose to remain in ACSJ, for the Thoburn program. So don’t expect many vacancies to arise.

sparkling
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Posts: 64
Joined: Wed Apr 28,

Re: All about Transferring to Other Primary Schools

Post by sparkling » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:41 pm

zac's mum wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:52 am
And in case anyone is interested in more stats, in any given year, ~20% of the selected ACSJ boys choose to remain in ACSJ, for the Thoburn program. So don’t expect many vacancies to arise.
Are we talking about vacancies for the tiger year only cos if the birth rate is lower than a similar corresponding number of tiger year kids will be seeking transfers right?

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 3131
Joined: Tue Jan 03,
Total Likes:103

Re: All about Transferring to Other Primary Schools

Post by zac's mum » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:51 pm

sparkling wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:41 pm
zac's mum wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:52 am
And in case anyone is interested in more stats, in any given year, ~20% of the selected ACSJ boys choose to remain in ACSJ, for the Thoburn program. So don’t expect many vacancies to arise.
Are we talking about vacancies for the tiger year only cos if the birth rate is lower than a similar corresponding number of tiger year kids will be seeking transfers right?
The ~20% is a fairly consistent percentage mentioned by the P according to their past stats over the donkey years.

Vacancies arising this year are few, yes. I would not know how many are seeking transfers.

manorway
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Posts: 113
Joined: Fri Jul 31,
Total Likes:2

Re: All about Transferring to Other Primary Schools

Post by manorway » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:36 pm

Actually even if birth rate is low, it should not affect ACSJ’s number of kids passing round 1 this much. I recall a friend said 120 out of 270 in a year, 44%. But the number of kids who were successful in round 2 was usually around 18-22.

Post Reply