All about Transferring to Other Primary Schools

Work your way through the complex rituals of Primary One Registration. This is where you find out more about the dream school you have always wanted for your kid.
phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:222

Re: All about Transferring to Other Primary Schools

Post by phtthp » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:15 pm

w0nderlnd wrote:Hi All,

We have recently shifted from Sengkang to Hougang. My DD1 is currently in P3 (not popular school). I'm considering whether or not to change school to HIPS or CHIJ OLN which both fall in <1KM, in fact I can practically see HIPS from my house.

Reason for changing is for the proximity and also these two are considered better school with more resources compared to her current one which is a relatively new school.
But DD1 is not keen in changing though because she say she is used to her school already and she insist can take public transport home that about 30-40mins to reach home. However, I feel that the time saved from travelling is worth it and also DD2 is going to P1 in 2019, so if DD1 is in one of these school then DD2 would qualify for Phase 1 ;p

Is there anyone who can share some advice how should I approach this? How can I psycho her to change or should I even?
Also, between HIPS and CHIJ OLN which is better and stand a higher chance for transfer?

TIA
Since your daughter is already 2017 P3 this year : most schools will process Transfer around November, after P3 SA2 (October) is over and AFTER GEP results had been announced.

Meanwhile, you can still submit Wait Lists: to both CHIJ Our Lady of Nativity primary and Holy Innocent primary.
You may download these forms, from their schools' internet website.

You may contact both schools, enquire when they start processing 2017 P3 Transfer Application forms ?

State down the reasons why you want to seek Transfer, submit all attached documents (including Report card results, All other Achievement Certificates, from P1 to current), to support your Transfer request. Wait for schools, to process.

If Vacancies arise And if your P3 child has been short-listed, the school will contact you, in due time.
Last edited by phtthp on Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yngmng
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by Yngmng » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:19 pm

Check with the school if they have vacancy. If not, you can put your child on waitlist. You can submit a copy of your child's results and non academic achievements. The school has the right to decide who to admit if there is a vacancy. So, the better the child's profile, the better her chances.

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:222

Post by phtthp » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:24 pm

Xia0hui wrote:Question abt STEP pls... if MOE offers a place in a nearby school to our new home but we don't want to enroll in that school, can we reject the offer and just stay in current school?
Under STEP, MOE will allocate a school for your child, if vacancies arise.
Under STEP, you cannot choose the school.

If you prefer to choose a school that you like : then you can approach the interested-school directly (personally), fill up the Wait-List Transfer Application form, submit and wait for the school, to process, when vacancies arise.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor
Total Likes:31

Post by jedamum » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:56 am

Hi w0nderlnd
I can only share what I did with my ds1. I transferred him to a sch nearer to home in mid pri due to our preference of the sch culture, affiliation it offers, distance (walking distance) and phase 1 priority for ds2.

Ds1 was reluctant when I brought up the topic as he was doing very well in p1. Still I submitted a transfer request at end p1 and only got vacancy 1.5 years later. By then he was doing very very well in his previous school - a p3 and already given opportunity to emcee major school celebrations and various public speaking related competition/events. I was torn about transferring him.

When the vacancy came in, we were very excited. Him starting at the new school woukd guarantee ds2 a phase 1 ticket - we failed in our PV application for same school. But we already had a back up plan for ds2 - choose another school for p1 registration if fail at ballot - and decided to respect ds1 decision whether to transfer.

By then, something happened in sch that changed his mind and he felt he could do with a change in environment. Before submitting our acceptance, i requested for a school walk round with my kid after school hours and the Principal of our preferred school offered to host us during sch hours - so we could see how the sch is during curriculum hours, she said. Very nice gesture and ds1 was sold. Very lucky we were!

Then smoothly transferred into our preferred school.

Then one year later, the school relocated for upgrading :laugh:

I felt cheated of the proximity, but we felt the school values align with us (very positive experience) for character building, so the little inconvenience was ok. Ultimately, ds1 had a very positive experience and it worked out for us.

It is funny how sometimes no matter how much we planned, some stuff just happens. If ds1 had rejected the transfer, ds2 could still end up in our preferred school as that year new p1 registration ruling favours SC and with that there were no balloting for our distance bracket for our phase that year. :sweat:

w0nderlnd wrote:Hi All,

We have recently shifted from Sengkang to Hougang. My DD1 is currently in P3 (not popular school). I'm considering whether or not to change school to HIPS or CHIJ OLN which both fall in <1KM, in fact I can practically see HIPS from my house.

Reason for changing is for the proximity and also these two are considered better school with more resources compared to her current one which is a relatively new school.
But DD1 is not keen in changing though because she say she is used to her school already and she insist can take public transport home that about 30-40mins to reach home. However, I feel that the time saved from travelling is worth it and also DD2 is going to P1 in 2019, so if DD1 is in one of these school then DD2 would qualify for Phase 1 ;p

Is there anyone who can share some advice how should I approach this? How can I psycho her to change or should I even?
Also, between HIPS and CHIJ OLN which is better and stand a higher chance for transfer?

TIA

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:196

Post by floppy » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:50 pm

w0nderlnd wrote:
I'm afraid you have the process mixed up. You should:
1. Apply first,
2. Think / decide later.
(And not consider first, apply when you've made up your mind)

Not point thinking or considering now when:
1. the school(s) may not have vancancies, or
2. the school(s) have vacancies but you are not high on their priority list.

Talks about psyhoing your child or deciding between school a and school b are meaningless until you have something concrete on your hand. And I'll expand the options to waitlist in more schools nearby if you are really concern about the distance travel / time taken.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:136

Post by janet88 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:27 pm

floppy wrote:
w0nderlnd wrote:
I'm afraid you have the process mixed up. You should:
1. Apply first,
2. Think / decide later.
(And not consider first, apply when you've made up your mind)

Not point thinking or considering now when:
1. the school(s) may not have vancancies, or
2. the school(s) have vacancies but you are not high on their priority list.

Talks about psyhoing your child or deciding between school a and school b are meaningless until you have something concrete on your hand. And I'll expand the options to waitlist in more schools nearby if you are really concern about the distance travel / time taken.
:goodpost: :udaman:

mrsm
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by mrsm » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:26 pm

Hi everyone, I need some advice.

Currently I'm staying in Jurong and will be shifting to Yishun in April/May next year. My son is in P1 now. I checked the schools nearby our new place and Chongfu is the nearest within 1km but I understand that that is a popular school so chances of getting a transfer there are very slim. There are several other schools within 1-2km but the walking distance is quite far and I would like to avoid having to take the school bus if possible. My main priority when choosing a school is distance from home.

The other concern is, we will not be able to take part in STEP as we will only move in Apr/May. So what can we do now? Go straight to the schools and waitlist? If we do that now then can we submit the year end results & achievements later?

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:109

Post by zac's mum » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:18 pm

Yes I suggest you just go straight to Chongfu and as many of the nearby schools as you can and wait list. After all, wait list is free. If mid-year results are good, can submit those. Then when year-end results are out, you can take the chance to update the schools. At the same time you can find out the status of your wait list chance.

The timing is a bit off, since you're not moving till P2 term 2? I don't know what happens if any school offers you a place now, or for start of P2? Can u pay school fees there to chope the place till after June holidays? Or will you let your son start P2 there in Jan (easier to adapt) and "commute" for 4-5 months?

Or you can wait for STEP in end 2018 but MOE will probably assign the *least* popular school in that area, i.e. The one that perpetually has vacancies. Which may not be that near your new house.

mrsm
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by mrsm » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:42 am

Thanks for your input, Zac's mum. Yes, the timing is not really good. If can pay school fees and chope will be good but don't think they will allow. Commuting for 4-5 mths is out of the question. My husband will be able to send him to school before work but no one is available to pick him up after school.

2018 STEP will mean that he then has to commute from Yishun to Jurong for 4-5 months lol

I think I'll do what u suggest, go straight to schools first with his mid-year results and update year-end results. If really cant get into Chongfu then no choice have to accept the further school. *sigh*

ongstarling
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by ongstarling » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:02 am

Hi I just called up a school to enquire on possible transfers but was told that there was no vacancy. Is there any difference between STEPS and going to the school and be put on waitlist? I was told to bring the SA2 results end of the year. No further info and the person dealing with the call was quite impatient.