All about Transferring to Other Primary Schools

Work your way through the complex rituals of Primary One Registration. This is where you find out more about the dream school you have always wanted for your kid.
phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:336

Re: All about Transferring to Other Primary Schools

Post by phtthp » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:20 pm

Yes, u can apply for more than one school.

But only apply those that u are really keen in. Don't apply for Transfer to those schools where only half-hearted, because if they offer, u in dilemma : accept or to turn down ? (since only half hearted)

(Not nice to turn down offfer, if Principal give u one)
Last edited by phtthp on Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yngmng
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by Yngmng » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:26 pm

veileen wrote:Means we can apply to more than one school at once, unlike P1 registration where we restricted to register in one school only?
Yes. When I shifted house, applied to 4 schools. One school offered me on the spot.

veileen
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by veileen » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:12 pm

Aha, thank you so much mummies! You guys are lifesaver :)

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by phtthp » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:22 pm

veileen wrote:Aha, thank you so much mummies! You guys are lifesaver :)
No worry.

Just make sure the schools u seek Transfer into, are schools that u are really keen in.

Example

Have a friend whose daughter from CHIJ Toa Payoh primary. She waitlist for 3 schools : (Nanyang, SCGS, MGS) primary. These 3 are popular schools, for Transfer.

Nanyang : had waitlisted for a long time, since P1. But no news.

Same for SCGS, MGS. Also no news, since P1 waitlisted.

At end of P3, sometime in Nov-
MGS (Bukit timah) offered her a Transfer. My friend quickly grabbed the offer, transferred her girl into MGS. Now, her daughter inside MGS.
(The other 2 schools she waitlisted : still no news yet, at end of P3, when MGS offered her the Transfer)

I asked her : Why transfer from CHIJ Toa Payoh, into MGS ?

She said next time in MGS Secondary, it is Affliated to ACJC (Anglo-Chinese Junior college), at O level discount points.

After O level, to gain admission into ACJC : there is a bonus of minus 2 discount points, if your Secondary school is from one of the Methodist denomination schools like (MGS, Paya Lebar Girls Methodist, Geylang Methodist, Fairfield Methodist, ACS) Secondary mission schools.

Second reason my friend was attracted to MGS : partly due to the presence of Gifted programme called SBC (Sophia Blackmore) class, offered to High Ability Upper primary students.

Although this SBC class is different from the (P4 to P6) GEP programme offered by MOE, still, it is a good exposure, to High Ability students, inside MGS :-

http://www.mgs.sch.edu.sg/secondary/oth ... /about-sbc

She said if her girl were to remain inside CHIJ Toa Payoh, the Secondary school is Affliated to Catholic Junior College. (CJC)

My friend said she rather her daughter get Affliated to ACJC, than to Catholic JC. So, better to officiate the Transfer, in primary school.
Last edited by phtthp on Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:10 am, edited 3 times in total.

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by phtthp » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:39 pm

Yngmng wrote: Yes. When I shifted house, applied to 4 schools. One school offered me on the spot.
So did u grab the first offer that came, or did u wait for the 2nd or the 3rd offer, to come ?

fely_cf
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by fely_cf » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:52 pm

Can anyone share their experience and considerations on transferring from an international school (in Singapore) to a local Singapore school at Primary 3? Any extrance exams, selection criteria etc.?

Also, is there any impact if at Primary 1 registration, we had seeked exemption for the child to go into international school and now we would like to switch back to local school at Primary 3?

Apologies, if this is not the right forum to ask. If so kindly let me know.

Thank you.

fely_cf
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by fely_cf » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:52 pm

Can anyone share their experience and considerations on transferring from an international school (in Singapore) to a local Singapore school at Primary 3? Any extrance exams, selection criteria etc.?

Also, is there any impact if at Primary 1 registration, we had seeked MOE exemption for our child, who is Singaporean to go into international school and now we would like to switch back to local school at Primary 3?

Apologies, if this is not the right forum to ask. If so kindly let me know.

Thank you.

Rbbns
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Rbbns » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:27 pm

Does anyone has experience of transferring the child to Rivervale Primary School or Compassvale Primary School?
How long (since they put you in waitinglist) did you wait until your child can be transferred to those schools?

beetle_bug
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by beetle_bug » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:13 pm

The waiting list for Rivervale is so long.. i did received their call 3 yrs later and they told me still no vacancies... ask me still want to wait or not :(

iceywind88
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by iceywind88 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:11 pm

beetle_bug wrote:The waiting list for Rivervale is so long.. i did received their call 3 yrs later and they told me still no vacancies... ask me still want to wait or not :(
haha why they still call when there's no vacancies? I think something fishy is cooking...