All about Transferring to Other Primary Schools

Work your way through the complex rituals of Primary One Registration. This is where you find out more about the dream school you have always wanted for your kid.
Post Reply
beetle_bug
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Jul 27,

Re: All about Transferring to Other Primary Schools

Post by beetle_bug » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:48 pm

Not sure why they still call me up.. i was surprised when i received their call also... anyway even though got vacancies i also wont transfer already after 3 yrs later... bcos my kids already familiarise with the current sch and friends... if 6mth or 1 yr later they said got vacancies i still can consider.

gerald32
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Jul 24,

Re: All about Transferring to Other Primary Schools

Post by gerald32 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:07 pm

Hi,

I'm new to this Forum and would appreciate some advice:

1. Can we transfer child to another pri sch after registration exercise but before actual pri 1 starts?

2. If not, when is the earliest the transfer can be done?

3. How can we go about initiating a transfer?

Thanks!

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 7797
Joined: Wed Jul 31,
Gender: Male
Total Likes:208

Re: All about Transferring to Other Primary Schools

Post by floppy » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:43 pm

gerald32 wrote:Hi,

I'm new to this Forum and would appreciate some advice:

1. Can we transfer child to another pri sch after registration exercise but before actual pri 1 starts?

2. If not, when is the earliest the transfer can be done?

3. How can we go about initiating a transfer?

Thanks!
You don't get to decide when you can transfer. It depends on whether there's vacancy in the school you want, and whether the school accepts your child.

You can start by waitlisting your child in the school you want after P1 registration closes. If you are lucky, transfer can happen before P1 starts, or you can wait indefinitely.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor
Posts: 8940
Joined: Thu Jan 10,
Total Likes:31

Re: All about Transferring to Other Primary Schools

Post by jedamum » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:43 pm

Gerald32
You can apply for transfer - transfer is dependent on vacancies. If they have leftover seats after phase3, I feel you still can seek a transfer before sch starts. For schs with no vacancies, it depends on the sch protocol. Some schools may have a period of time for application eg they can say can or also can say come back next year to join waitlist.

Just email or walk in to enquire as soon as you available, to clarify the procedure. Different schools may have different requirements.

gerald32
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Jul 24,

Re: All about Transferring to Other Primary Schools

Post by gerald32 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:40 pm

Thanks for the kind advice!


slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 11686
Joined: Wed Sep 15,
Total Likes:235

Re: All about Transferring to Other Primary Schools

Post by slmkhoo » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:04 pm

beetle_bug wrote:Not sure why they still call me up.. i was surprised when i received their call also... anyway even though got vacancies i also wont transfer already after 3 yrs later... bcos my kids already familiarise with the current sch and friends... if 6mth or 1 yr later they said got vacancies i still can consider.
They were probably trying to update their waiting list. If they could find out which parents weren't interested in a transfer any more, they could make their waiting list shorter.

Xia0hui
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Mar 19,

Re: All about Transferring to Other Primary Schools

Post by Xia0hui » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:54 pm

Question abt STEP pls... if MOE offers a place in a nearby school to our new home but we don't want to enroll in that school, can we reject the offer and just stay in current school?

w0nderlnd
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Aug 05,

Re: All about Transferring to Other Primary Schools

Post by w0nderlnd » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:25 am

Hi All,

We have recently shifted from Sengkang to Hougang. My DD1 is currently in P3 (not popular school). I'm considering whether or not to change school to HIPS or CHIJ OLN which both fall in <1KM, in fact I can practically see HIPS from my house.

Reason for changing is for the proximity and also these two are considered better school with more resources compared to her current one which is a relatively new school.
But DD1 is not keen in changing though because she say she is used to her school already and she insist can take public transport home that about 30-40mins to reach home. However, I feel that the time saved from travelling is worth it and also DD2 is going to P1 in 2019, so if DD1 is in one of these school then DD2 would qualify for Phase 1 ;p

Is there anyone who can share some advice how should I approach this? How can I psycho her to change or should I even?
Also, between HIPS and CHIJ OLN which is better and stand a higher chance for transfer?

TIA

w0nderlnd
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Aug 05,

Re: All about Transferring to Other Primary Schools

Post by w0nderlnd » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:31 am

Xia0hui wrote:Question abt STEP pls... if MOE offers a place in a nearby school to our new home but we don't want to enroll in that school, can we reject the offer and just stay in current school?
My understanding is cannot, if you go through STEPS then your place in current school is automatically given up and you have to accept whichever school that is selected for you. So most people will go directly to their desired schools to ask for vacancy.

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 3495
Joined: Tue Jan 03,
Total Likes:120

Re: All about Transferring to Other Primary Schools

Post by zac's mum » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:59 am

w0nderlnd wrote:Hi All,

We have recently shifted from Sengkang to Hougang. My DD1 is currently in P3 (not popular school). I'm considering whether or not to change school to HIPS or CHIJ OLN which both fall in <1KM, in fact I can practically see HIPS from my house.

Reason for changing is for the proximity and also these two are considered better school with more resources compared to her current one which is a relatively new school.
But DD1 is not keen in changing though because she say she is used to her school already and she insist can take public transport home that about 30-40mins to reach home. However, I feel that the time saved from travelling is worth it and also DD2 is going to P1 in 2019, so if DD1 is in one of these school then DD2 would qualify for Phase 1 ;p

Is there anyone who can share some advice how should I approach this? How can I psycho her to change or should I even?
Also, between HIPS and CHIJ OLN which is better and stand a higher chance for transfer?

TIA
I believe you should check with both schools first, whether they have any vacancies for your DD1. Don't jump the gun to psycho your girl yet as there may not be vacancies in these popular schools.

And from what I heard, the school may ask to see the student's academic results from P1 onwards. They have the discretion to accept her in or not.

If there are vacancies in either (or both) then u can think about how to persuade her. Perhaps go down to visit the schools. The main difference is one is girls only. All the best!

Post Reply