All about Transferring to Other Primary Schools

Work your way through the complex rituals of Primary One Registration. This is where you find out more about the dream school you have always wanted for your kid.
Cloud Cloud
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:1

Re: All about Transferring to Other Primary Schools

Post by Cloud Cloud » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:50 am

doudou77 wrote:Hi all,

I am new here. Thanks everyone.

My kid is in P3 this year. Passed him GEP round 1.

I am thinking of transfer him to top schools, like Rosyth , Ai Tong, Catholic High or NanHua etc.

His school result for P1 and P2 is "excellent" (percentage ~93/100) , but P3 SA1 drop to "Very good" (percentage ~89/100).

May I know with such school result, how big is his chance of successful transfer?

thanks all
Except for Ai Tong, the schools you cited are all gep centres. Focus may be less on the mainstream, especially for competitions. But if you really want to try, maybe can highlight your child talents..besides academic results.

asamy
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by asamy » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:32 am

Hi All,

I am shifting home soon, so I have applied for schools that are near to my new home and I am on their waiting list, for my son Next Year (Primary 4 ). Today I received acceptance call from one of the schools which I kept at my third preference. If I accept this offer now and later receive any call, from another school that is in my first and second preference, is it possible to accept this offer (dropping the first offer) and change the school again.

Please give us the suggestion.

Thanks in advance.

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:248

Post by phtthp » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:44 am

Is your child "foreigner" status ?

For Transfer, usually priority is given to Sg citizenship children first, followed by PR.

Since you have already received an offer from your 3rd-choice school, or since you have already caught a bird on hand, you can ring up the other two schools, ask them what's your chance like, over there ?

If from their answer / reply, they hint to you zero chance, then either accept this 3rd-choice school offer if you really still want to transfer, or just let this offer lapse, if you are only half-hearted, not keen. Decision is yours.

DivaQueen
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by DivaQueen » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:36 am

Hi,
I submitted some applications for transfer early last week. I just received a call from one of the schools for an interview with my DS. They mentioned it's an interview with one of the school leaders. Anyone can share what will they generally ask during the interview and is it highly likely that the principal is interviewing?

Thank you

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by phtthp » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:36 pm

Depend on who is the person-in-charge of sieving out all Transfer Application Forms, or who is overall in charge of short-listing candidates for interview : this person will be the one interviewing your child. Can be Principal, or can be VP.

They will interview, address your child first, by asking general questions, like :

1)
Why do you want to Transfer, to our school ?

(From your child's answer, they try to sieve out : is it the child's decision / initiative to transfer, or is it the parents' initiative ?)

2)
How do you find your current school, so far? Are there any areas that you like, or dislike about ?

3)
Do you have many friends, in school ?
How many best friend, do you have ?

4)
What Cca are you taking in school, how do you find the Cca ?

Are there any hobbies or unique, special interests that you do, in your spare time at home ?

5)
If After Transfer into our school successfully,
what Cca do you intend to join?

6)
Do you have any question, for us ?

After interview is over for your child, next, they will call parents in, to interview them.

Usual questions for parents, are :
- Why seek Transfer ?

- Do you forsee any problem ?
Eg
Your house, is it far, from our school ?
How do you intend to send your child daily to school ?

- Are there any question that you wish to clarify with us ?

DivaQueen
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by DivaQueen » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:57 pm

phtthp wrote:Depend on who is the person-in-charge of sieving out all Transfer Application Forms, or who is overall in charge of short-listing candidates for interview : this person will be the one interviewing your child. Can be Principal, or can be VP.

They will interview, address your child first, by asking general questions, like :

1)
Why do you want to Transfer, to our school ?

(From your child's answer, they try to sieve out : is it the child's decision / initiative to transfer, or is it the parents' initiative ?)

2)
How do you find your current school, so far? Are there any areas that you like, or dislike about ?

3)
Do you have many friends, in school ?
How many best friend, do you have ?

4)
What Cca are you taking in school, how do you find the Cca ?

Are there any hobbies or unique, special interests that you do, in your spare time at home ?

5)
If After Transfer into our school successfully,
what Cca do you intend to join?

6)
Do you have any question, for us ?

After interview is over for your child, next, they will call parents in, to interview them.

Usual questions for parents, are :
- Why seek Transfer ?

- Do you forsee any problem ?
Eg
Your house, is it far, from our school ?
How do you intend to send your child daily to school ?

- Are there any question that you wish to clarify with us ?
Thank you PHTTHP. So they will definitely interview both child and parents? On average, how long would they revert to us on the results after the interview?

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by phtthp » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:18 pm

Different primary schools may have different policy. Only if u are shortlisted, then u receive phone call to come down for an interview.

1)
Some schools have already accepted your child, when they ask you to go down for an interview.

The Transfer offer, is immediate on the spot. Meeting up both the child and parents, is just a usual formality, greeting practice.

After the interview have ended, if you have already decided in your heart to accept the offer, then just go to General Admin office, sign the Transfer Form on the spot, take another copy back to your child's
Originating school, to obtain your current school Principal's signatured authority / approval, to release your child from the current school.

After obtained Principal's signature, take this signed form back to the Accepting school.

The Accepting school will then submit all your documents to centralised MOE, to officially process and to complete the successful transfer, for Admission into the Accepting school.

After this, u may proceed to buy new school unform, new textbooks, for your child. Wait for new School Term, to start.

2)
Other schools may decide, within one to three days' time frame quickly, less than a week, after the interview meet up.

DivaQueen
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by DivaQueen » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:34 pm

Thanks again for your prompt reply Phtthp :)
so is it right to say when they do call you, there IS vacancies available currently?
Any idea if generally schools will start calling shortlisted kids like around now or they will call in later in Nov (after the Geppers have completed their musical chairs) and/or Dec after STEPS?... Has the Geppers started/completed their musical chairs yet? As in would there be more vacancies coming up?
When I submitted my applications last week, some schools actually ask me to send them the SA2 results when I received them..will they only consider after the receipt of the final result slips for this year?
I am still awaiting for calls/responses from the other schools I have put forth the applications...

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by phtthp » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:39 pm

The last day for SA2 is usually By Oct 31 month-end. After SA2 over, they can call u in November.

Depend.
Some schools ask to see SA2 results, while some schools dont, look at up to SA1. Some schools may ask to interview you first, then request u later to follow up, submit yr sa2 results, once get them back.

But if your child is P3, some schools prefer to wait until round 2 Gep results are released first then call, in case some students are offered Gep, want to Transfer out to a GEP centre, chances are most likely, they won't be interested in any Mainstream school anymore.

Eg
If your p3 child had been offered a place in the Gep programme, and the Mainstream school call u to come down, just tell the truth, say u are considering.

When they call u to come down, it merely means you have been short listed. Whether they eventually want to offer or not, depend on what u and yr child say, during the interview.

If dont receive any phone call, means not short listed. Either no vacancy or someone else had been selected.

xuanfam
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by xuanfam » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:55 am

Hi we are shifting next year and hence put in requests to a few schools for transfer. We hope for an afflitated school. The first to call us up is Marymount convent. . While we heard many good feedback about the school and happy to receive a call, we are wondering if we should wait for Chij st nicks etc. Any comments? Anyone transferred to Marymount and can share your experiences as a new kid/parent in the school? Tx