Chinese As 2nd Language For non-Chinese

Work your way through the complex rituals of Primary One Registration. This is where you find out more about the dream school you have always wanted for your kid.

Chinese As 2nd Language For non-Chinese

Postby chixchix » Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:13 pm

Is 2nd language compulsory in Primary Education ? I am not able to put my boy in any of the 3 languages offered in our primary schools.... in fact,my mother tongue, Hindi is only offered at some schools,which are of cos more than 2 km from my home...

For example, Princess Elizabeth is offering my mother tongue as a 2nd Lang..but location at Bukit Batok..whereas I am staying at Jurong West .. I was wondering if I get West Grove Primary ...then my boy will have to attend the mother tongue session externaly on Saturdays.

I have written to MOE ..but no reply.. I wonder if the e-mail was correct ..it was on the website only..anyone knows where else I can write to ?

chixchix
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: 2nd Language

Postby ChiefKiasu » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:00 am

chixchix wrote:...I have written to MOE ..but no reply.. I wonder if the e-mail was correct ..it was on the website only..anyone knows where else I can write to ?

I usually use the feedback form found here. I would get a reply within 24hrs normally.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Chinese as a 2nd language

Postby mum03 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:12 am

[Moderator's note: Topics merged.]

Hi everyone,
I need all your expert adv on this issue. Our daughter will be registering for her pri one this year (still deciding which sch to send her). She is from a mixed marriage (myself indian and hubby british).
Presently she is taking chinese has her 2nd language. From what I understand, does she has to take tamil as a 2nd language when she goes to pri one. She could understand tamil, but unable to even speak a word of it. She is fluent in chinese language.
Will there be any complication when I register her for pri one??? :? . Will they insist that she as to take her Mother tougue as a 2nd language??. We has her parents prefer our daughter to take chinese has a 2nd language

I am lost. Pls adv??? :?:

Bel

mum03
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby kelyn » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:48 am

Hi mum03,

During the school registration, just fill up a form that you want your daughter to study Chinese as 2nd lang.

After that during school orientation, some more forms to fill up and you need to proof that your daughter studied chinese during her kindergarten by submitting her progress report (at least 2 or 3 years) or a letter from the kindergarten's Principal. The school will then submitted to MOE for approval.

Usually, MOE will just approve it.

Hope this info help. :wink:

kelyn
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby mum03 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:51 am

Thks Kelyn,

It takes a load out of me. I will keep that in mind.

Bel

mum03
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Chinese as a 2nd language

Postby EON » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:37 pm

mum03 wrote:Hi everyone,
I need all your expert adv on this issue. Our daughter will be registering for her pri one this year (still deciding which sch to send her). She is from a mixed marriage (myself indian and hubby british).
Presently she is taking chinese has her 2nd language. From what I understand, does she has to take tamil as a 2nd language when she goes to pri one. She could understand tamil, but unable to even speak a word of it. She is fluent in chinese language.
Will there be any complication when I register her for pri one??? :? . Will they insist that she as to take her Mother tougue as a 2nd language??. We has her parents prefer our daughter to take chinese has a 2nd language

I am lost. Pls adv??? :?:

Bel

Hi Mum3,

English is my mother tongue. I can speak Mandarin but only enough to order food at the hawker centre and get well around Singapore.

We intend for our children to take up Mandarin as a second language and you've mentioned that your daughter spoke fluent Mandarin.

How was it so? Was it through enrichment classes or can you speak Mandarin, yourself?

Because as far as I see it, our kids will have "no chance" of using Mandarin except in school as English will be the medium of communication with all our relatives.

I will definitely engage a private Mandarin tutor for our kids but how did you get your kid to pick up this language fluently?

Thanks.

EON
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby mum03 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:31 pm

Hi EON,

I could only speak English, can't even speak a word of chinese.

We send our daughter to Holy Grace Kindergarden where Mandarin is the 1st language. The teachers only speak Mandarin to them, does our daughter pick it up since she was in Nursery. She does go for enrichment class once a week at Berries (it does help).

Thks Rds
Bel

mum03
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby EON » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:27 am

mum03 wrote:Hi EON,

I could only speak English, can't even speak a word of chinese.

We send our daughter to Holy Grace Kindergarden where Mandarin is the 1st language. The teachers only speak Mandarin to them, does our daughter pick it up since she was in Nursery. She does go for enrichment class once a week at Berries (it does help).

Thks Rds
Bel

Thanks Mum03 for that invaluable insight :celebrate:

EON
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Chinese As 2nd Language For non-Chinese

Postby vividlaurel » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:06 am

Hi Chixchix,

I just saw your post while I was browsing the site. Have you already gotten a reply from MOE? Do let me know if you haven't then I can share my experiences with you. We are also Indians, but my kids are learning Mandarin in the CC and also Hindi externally. They go to P1 next year.

Vividlaurel
chixchix wrote:Is 2nd language compulsory in Primary Education ? I am not able to put my boy in any of the 3 languages offered in our primary schools.... in fact,my mother tongue, Hindi is only offered at some schools,which are of cos more than 2 km from my home...

For example, Princess Elizabeth is offering my mother tongue as a 2nd Lang..but location at Bukit Batok..whereas I am staying at Jurong West .. I was wondering if I get West Grove Primary ...then my boy will have to attend the mother tongue session externaly on Saturdays.

I have written to MOE ..but no reply.. I wonder if the e-mail was correct ..it was on the website only..anyone knows where else I can write to ?

vividlaurel
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: Chinese As 2nd Language For non-Chinese

Postby reddotresident » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:04 pm

Hi Vividlaurel / Chixchix

Can you share your experiences pls? I have kid who is currently learning Mandarin at school and other who learns Hindi.

Chixchix, Hindi Society or DAV will arrange to teach hindi during their mother tongue time in school. They will send a teacher , even for just one students ( the fee varies). You will have to contact them and they will coordinate with whichever school you enrol your kid in.The school is usually very accomodating of such requests.

vividlaurel wrote:Hi Chixchix,

I just saw your post while I was browsing the site. Have you already gotten a reply from MOE? Do let me know if you haven't then I can share my experiences with you. We are also Indians, but my kids are learning Mandarin in the CC and also Hindi externally. They go to P1 next year.

Vividlaurel
chixchix wrote:Is 2nd language compulsory in Primary Education ? I am not able to put my boy in any of the 3 languages offered in our primary schools.... in fact,my mother tongue, Hindi is only offered at some schools,which are of cos more than 2 km from my home...

reddotresident
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Selection & Registration