Primary One School Orientation

Work your way through the complex rituals of Primary One Registration. This is where you find out more about the dream school you have always wanted for your kid.

Primary One School Orientation

Postby Strawberry Milk » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:00 am

Hi All,
I am helping a colleague to post this topic to check with parents whose children have attended the Primay One School Orientation.

My colleague's child has gone for the orientation last saturday. Both parent and child did not actually get much information form the orientation:-
1) There is no mention what is the school reporting time on the 1st day of school? The school is a single session school
2) What is the child expect to bring on the 1st day of school?
3) Are parents allow to enter the school premise on the 1st day of school?
4) Where is the assemble place?
5) Certain school does not allow child to use "trolley" schoolbag; there is no mention of this too.

She was so frustrated with all these adminstrative issues and was at a loss what to do. I can only share my view on what my gal's school has given on the guidelines. Can any parents help?

Btw, my colleague's child school is in the Western part of Singapore (Jurong).

Strawberry Milk
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Luanee » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:31 am

I attended my girl's orientation last Sat. During the principal's speech, she said that:

1. Trolley bags are not encouraged as they are heavy and kids have to climb stairs (not allowed to use lifts)
2. School hours are 1pm for my case (PM session) but they can arrive at 12:30pm for 30mins of silent reading.
3. Assembly place is the hall. For first 3 days, parents can come but they are not allowed to go into the hall. Parents can only drop off kids and they have to go to the hall (2nd level) on their own. There will be teachers and helpers around to guide any stray kids all into the hall. Parents can only see kids during recess time in the canteen.
4. The school gave us a list of what to bring for the 1st day. It's English, Maths and Mother tongue textbook and activitiy book, plus a few exercise books and a clear folder.

Any other info u need? But individual schools may all be different. It's better to call up the school to ask for such details.

Luanee
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Strawberry Milk » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:58 am

Luanee wrote:Any other info u need? But individual schools may all be different. It's better to call up the school to ask for such details.

Dear Luanee,
Thanks alot for the info; in fact my gal's school information also about the same as yours. But for my colleague's case - it is a totally ZERO information!

According to her, during the 2 hour orientation - it was only the Principal's speech, various teachers/co-ordinator talking about the sch programme and the dental presentation. Even in the folder that they have distributed out to the parents, there wasn't any notes on the P1 Orientation. So my colleague is really frustrated & at a loss.

Ok, I will ask her to check with the school. Thanks alot :)

Strawberry Milk
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby jedamum » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:44 am

Strawberry Milk,

Please ask your friend to email the school. As they are using .gov.sg email address, i reckon that they'll reply promptly. :wink:

I had already emailed my boy's school twice even before the orientation when I couldn't get a satisfactory and clear answer during the tele-enquiry.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Strawberry Milk » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:08 am

Dear Jedamum,
Many thanks for the advise; she has sent out an e-mail a short while ago :lol:

But Now is the school holiday, I wondering will anyone reply to her e-mail? I was pretty surprised that school didn't give any information, giving that the school has been around for 33 years!

Once again, thank you very much :D

Strawberry Milk
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Luanee » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:16 am

Strawberry Milk wrote: I was pretty surprised that school didn't give any information, giving that the school has been around for 33 years!

Maybe they have a new principal?

Luanee
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Strawberry Milk » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:34 am

Luanee wrote:
Strawberry Milk wrote: I was pretty surprised that school didn't give any information, giving that the school has been around for 33 years!

Maybe they have a new principal?

Hi Luanee,
Not very sure about it but my colleague has been feeling so frustrated for these 2 days. She even doubting herself whether did she choose the right school for her child? She did not go through very much searching during the P1 Registration few months back and is now feeling regretful that she should have done more.

I wanted very much to mention the name of the school so that maybe parents in the same school viewing this topic can also share their view. Err....is it ok to mention? Can ChiefKiasu advise, please?

Thank you.

Strawberry Milk
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby caroline3sg » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:47 am

Strawberry Milk

PSLE results would be released on Thur 20 Nov. P6 students would collect results around noon. Perhaps your colleague can call the sch on Thur to find out more.

Single session start at 7.30am. But they have to be in sch at 7.10am. 7.20am sing marikita.

Usually assembly place / drop off place is canteen. Then proceed to parade square (if no raining). If raining, it would be in the hall.

trolley bag not recommended because of its weight & hard adjustable handle if carry on back when going up/down bus. Usually P1 class is at ground floor and hall is at 2nd floor.

first day of sch, teacher would brief kids on rules, handle out timetable. There won't be any formal teaching. Need to bring handbook/companion book (somthing like dairy), file (for circulars). Some sch may request for activity books to be kept in sch shelves / lockers to alleviate weight of sch bag.

Hope this helps.

caroline3sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Strawberry Milk » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:04 pm

caroline3sg wrote:Strawberry Milk

PSLE results would be released on Thur 20 Nov. P6 students would collect results around noon. Perhaps your colleague can call the sch on Thur to find out more.

Dear caroline3sg,
Thanks for the information and advise. In fact I have given my child's school "Handout for P1 Parents" to her for reference too. With all the other informations that the Kiasuparents forum has provided, it is really lighten up her day :)

Once again, Thank you very much :)

Strawberry Milk
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby ChiefKiasu » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:45 pm

Strawberry Milk wrote:...I wanted very much to mention the name of the school so that maybe parents in the same school viewing this topic can also share their view. Err....is it ok to mention? Can ChiefKiasu advise, please?...

I don't see why not. You're not planning to slander the school or something, are you? :mrgreen: At most it seems like just a little admin hiccup and good for them to take note for next year's orientation. Like the others said, perhaps your friend can get help or even meet some other parents with children in the same school.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Selection & Registration