Share with us your kid's P1 registration experience

Work your way through the complex rituals of Primary One Registration. This is where you find out more about the dream school you have always wanted for your kid.

Share with us your kid's P1 registration experience

Postby funfantastic4 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:05 pm

Hello all......I think it would be great if mummies/daddies can share their personal experience while going through the P1 registration. This would really help those who would be going through the same process for the very 1st time next year.

To start off...let me share mine.....

My hubby n I decided to register our gal into Beacon Pri. So both of us took A/L for the registration on the 1st day. We were No. 146 and the school has only 204 plcs available!

So the next few days became a very stressful day for me as I wasn't sure that my gal would be successful. Out of anxiousness, I took urgent leave on the 3rd n last day of registration to specially go to the school to ask for advice on my chances! Boy was I in shock! 200 plcs had already been taken up by those living within 1km......I was stressed out...what should I do......how to compete for 4 plcs among 170 other applicants!!!! Aargh!!!!

So I called up my hubby and told him what was happening.....and he said "OK......u decide"........WAT!!!!! I was left all by myself to decide what was the next course of action would be.....I became even more stressed......FYI....I shouldn't even be worried cos infront of our block there is a primary school......which I am not keen of sending my gal there....1st n foremost reason.....it's dual session......and I have 2 gals only 1 year apart......so meaning when the elder 1 is in P2 morning session....the younger one will be in P1 afternoon session....Imagine the chaos! So...die.....die must try find a single session school.

And that was how I ended up with CHIJ OQLP. I had all the documents ready just incase I had to go MOE for the statutory declaration since my parents stay within 2km of the school. So I withdrew my gal's registration from Beacon. Then I called up CHIJ to ask if I am eligible for the 1-2km.....and they said yes! I was relieved! And when I went there....I did my math and concluded that no matter what.....my gal will definitely get the school without having to ballot! BUT......the story doesn't end there......I BECAME VERY KIASU......&.........GREEDY!!!!

Hmmm......should I try my luck with RGPS???? BTW......in the morning before all these......after I'd sent my hubby to work.......I secretly went to RGPS to see what my chances were......and they were good actually! From the numbers....even if my gal were to ballot.....there was about 60-70% chance of getting a plc there......my mind was racing....should I go for RGPS.....or should I just register in CHIJ....... :cry:

After the withdrawal....I went back to RGPS to see my chances and they were still the same......I was really torn....I was confused.....I didn't know what to do.....I was just sitting in the car and trying to decide! I hadn't had my breakfast.....and it was almost lunch! And I wasn't feeling hungry at all................

I wanted the best for my gal....something that I never had......and the urge to register in RGPS was enormous.......but my logical side took over me. I started thinking.....just like the price of COE.....it always exponentiate in the last half hour.....and what if that's how the scenario was going to be like in RGPS when suddenly you see an exodus number of parents coming in to register at the eleventh hour......then my chances will be bleak.....and I would end up with the school right infront of my block.....just like in "The Dog & the Bone" story!

So I went back to CHIG OQLP to register my gal.....and that was my story!

I am sure some other parents have had an eventful experience when registering your child....do share.....cos this will certainly be with you a lifetime

funfantastic4
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby caroline3sg » Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:22 pm

funfantastic4
Beacon had opened house and there was a large turnout. It was telecasted in TV. Plus it is one of furturistic sch using interactive media / technology to teach. Hence it was expected that there would be a lot of applications.

I learnt that people start studying the statistics at least one yr ahead, to see how the nos. get changed everyday, at which phase and then concluded that it is better to register on the last day.

It is also advised to have back up plan (ie one that would not have any balloting at 2CS).

In this way, you would have less unexpected events.

caroline3sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Share with us your kid's P1 registration experience

Postby ChiefKiasu » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:49 pm

funfantastic4 wrote:...I am sure some other parents have had an eventful experience when registering your child....do share.....cos this will certainly be with you a lifetime

Wow :shock: . Well, compared to your experience, mine is certainly much more tame or sane, depending on your point of view. No fireworks or excitement. I guess that kinda take the fun out of the whole deal :D .

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby Luanee » Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:14 pm

Funtastic4, RGPS finally had 117 applicants >2km fighting for 51 places under phase 2C (after 26 applicants <2km admitted).

For my case, I had a daughter borned in year 2002. From 2005 onwards, we were closely monitoring the P1 registration stats, keeping all the records ourselvs as MOE dont retain them.

Since my mil stayed near HPPS, we decided to enrol our child there. We were prepared to move <1km of the school. However after studying the stats, we discovered that HPPS needs balloting under phase2C even if we move < 1km. So we decided we shall apply to be PVs first, then we will move <1km of the school.

Luanee
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Luanee » Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:25 pm

Continued...

So in end 2006, we applied to be PV for HPPS but were rejected. After studying our stats, we decided to PV in RGPS as all applicants under phase 2B get a place historically. Luckily we got accepted as PVs in RGPS after going through an interview in Nov2006.

Then I got pregnant. Oh dear, what if #2 is a boy? So after studying our stats again, we decided to apply for PV in NanHua and PeiHwa. However both schools also rejected us.

Thankfully my 2nd one turned out to be a girl as well, and we got accepted under phase 2B in Jul2008, no balloting required (we stay out of 2km).

So all parents, pls do ur homework early!

Luanee
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby EN » Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:59 pm

Hi funfantastic4 & Luanee

Very enlightening stories!

Here is mine. Was aiming for HPPS to do PV since I have a dd & ds but there was no reply. Manage to PV in RGPS instead. PV period - Daily awake at 4.30 am getting ready for work at 5.30 am (NZ hour). Stay in the West, travel all the way to the North. End of day 2.30pm took taxi to Bukit Timah to do PV. Reach home 6 pm brain feeling totally numb.

Was thinking, working hours not conducive for my dd new schooling time. So, change job which I was then station in Canada for a month. The thing was, it coincide with the my dd school registration. Can I trust my dh to do the job? He can be very forgetful. What if he can't cope with the household while I was away & missed the Phase 2B. All the necessary documents done before I travel but what if, what if, what if. Skip dinner to rush back to apartment to call dh from Canada. Night for me, early morning for him. He promised to call back once everything done. He called back at 11.30 am, near mid night for me. Everything's done. I then gave sigh of relief & sigh of hunger.

Was thinking of another round of PV for ds. The school that I want dont accept PV. So, with none of interest to me & time does not permit, he ended with a school within walking distance from home. Just that his double session did not sit well with the family schedule. Another round of sighhhhh....

EN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sleepy » Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:18 pm

Although past few years statistic showed no balloting within 1km for phrase 2B
should be considered relatively safe

But this year there's a surge in PVs and grassroots and we weren't sure how many within 1km so we were quite concerned

Luckily no balloting within 1km eventually

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Luanee » Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:07 pm

Share with u ppl my friend's story...

Her husband was ex-student of PeiChun but they prefer HPPS as they stay < 1km of it. But past historical trends showed HPPS need to ballot under phase 2C even if u stay < 1km. And their PV application for HPPS was not successful.

So they registered their kid first under phase 2A2 in PeiChun. Then on last day of phase 2C application, husband stationed in PeiChun and wife went to HPPS. Wife found that there were 54 applicants staying less than 1km for 53 places. So last minute, husband withdrew PeiChun's application and wife applied in HPPS. So the school informed that that need to ballot - 55 ppl fighting for 53 places (all < 1km).

Then 2 days later, the school called them to say 2 of the applicants were twins/triplets so counted as one applicant only. So for the first time in 5 years, no balloting in HPPS under phase 2C for ppl staying < 1km. They were so happy they made the right decision!! But it was very stressful man!! Had they not been successful, they would have given up a place in PeiChun for nothing! :P

Luanee
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re : Registrate using the yet to ready property

Postby DenLee » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:28 pm

Hi All,

Does anyone had encounter problem while using the Yet to be ready property to registrate for Pri 1. Can anyone share. I am having problem as I realized my SAP stated completion date no later than 2016 when actually when told by the showroom counter that the TOP is last quarter of 2011....
I checked with MOE that they didnt state the TOP and if I can get the Developer to give a letter to confirm the date h/ever , they dont accept ..... :?

DenLee
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby superjack » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:24 pm

Pardon me if this question has been answer before. If we registered in P2B and given a place, can we still withdraw at P2C to register at the 1st choice school if chances are very high? :?

superjack
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Selection & Registration