Schools With Good Character Development Programmes

Work your way through the complex rituals of Primary One Registration. This is where you find out more about the dream school you have always wanted for your kid.

Postby MerlionInGermany » Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:59 pm

Hi,

I browed through the different threads and realised that the IJs have a reputation of strong character development.

How do we assess if a school has an emphasis on character development?

Thanks.

MerlionInGermany
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Character development

Postby jedamum » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:36 pm

Besides 'assessing' ex-student's performance (eg by word of mouth or news reports etc), if you are looking for 'accreditation', you can refer to this. Select your choice of primary school and under the section 'Achievements in 2008 for Primary Level' there is a Character Development Award.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby MerlionInGermany » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:01 pm

Thanks!

MerlionInGermany
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby titank » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:19 pm

Original Title: Character Development, Important A Not?

I would like to know does Character Development an important criteria to select on the primary school? I believed some primary schools still do not obtain the status.

titank
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Character Development, Important A Not?

Postby ChiefKiasu » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:06 am

titank wrote:I would like to know does Character Development an important criteria to select on the primary school? I believed some primary schools still do not obtain the status.

I think that from the poll in the front page, character development is one of the key concerns of parents. The problem is that this is a very difficult thing to gauge and measure, so it is hard to say which school has got good character development programmes.

Perhaps we should use this thread for parents to say which schools they think have good character development programmes and why.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby csc » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:10 am

How about missions schools or schools with 'religious emphasis" like Mee Toh ?
Do they have greater emphasis on this aspect of education and have specific programs for it?
Juz wondering ... :?

csc
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby titank » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:03 pm

csc wrote:How about missions schools or schools with 'religious emphasis" like Mee Toh ?
Do they have greater emphasis on this aspect of education and have specific programs for it?
Juz wondering ... :?

We shall target those schools with Character Development Award for discussions. Mission & Religious schools normally have more in in-depth teaching as compare to normal neighbourhood schools.

titank
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jedamum » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:33 am

A programme is but a programme...whether the students fully reap its benefits fully is yet another issue.

In any case, I believe that as parents, we do have a set of criterias in our mind as to what we are looking for, and these awards merely serves to reaffirm our selection rather than a critical decision in the choice of schools.

JMHO.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

School that develops a child as a person.

Postby mr.sparroe » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:57 pm

[Moderator's note: Topics merged.]

Hi, I have been looking for a primary school in Singapore is not so focused on academic results but rather to develop the child as a person and a passion for learning.

Like children leaving the school with higher level of self confidence, more perseverance, eager to discover and do in-depth study/reading of subjects that truly interests them (may not be subjects taught in school), etc..

Have any parents heard of such schools? What I know is children are normally so stressed out in schools that it kills their natural instinct to learn and are subsequently labelled lazy. :(

mr.sparroe
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: School that develops a child as a person.

Postby jedamum » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:28 pm

hi,

realised from this thread that you are looking at temasek pri.

what you mentioned sounds like International Schools....

how the kids react to the school system not only depends on the school's philosophy, it also depends on the teachers' passion (that depends on luck), the group of friends they mix and family environment. such is also dependent on the parents' expectations and kids' temperament. instead of sourcing all around SG for that perfect schools, you may want to concentrate on your selections and see if they meet your criteria with regards to the above.

jmho.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Selection & Registration