Does school conduct test before allow the kid to reg Pri 1?

Work your way through the complex rituals of Primary One Registration. This is where you find out more about the dream school you have always wanted for your kid.

Does school conduct test before allow the kid to reg Pri 1?

Postby fredia_phionna » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:19 am

Recently, i have received a letter from a good school that i have not chosen to be in the pv programme.. then my spouse mentioned to me that some good pri school do conduct test before pri 1 phrase ballot... is it true?

fredia_phionna
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Does school conduct test before allow the kid to reg Pri

Postby ChiefKiasu » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:09 am

fredia_phionna wrote:Recently, i have received a letter from a good school that i have not chosen to be in the pv programme.. then my spouse mentioned to me that some good pri school do conduct test before pri 1 phrase ballot... is it true?

I have not heard of Primary schools giving entrance exams as part of the initial Primary One Registration process. I don't think that will come down well at all, as it implies that parents will be FORCING their pre-schoolers to take up all sorts of academic courses just to ace the entrance tests.

However, if you want to transfer your child to another school after Primary One, the new school may require your child's exam results and even conduct assessment tests.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby kaitlynangelica » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:50 pm

fredia_phionna wrote:Recently, i have received a letter from a good school that i have not chosen to be in the pv programme.. then my spouse mentioned to me that some good pri school do conduct test before pri 1 phrase ballot... is it true?

My friend wanted to send his son to this school called Zhanter(spelling??? ) There was no test but they requested for a testimonial from the kindergarten on his performance there. The boy was from this place called Learning By the park.

kaitlynangelica
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby fredia_phionna » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:45 am

kaitlynangelica wrote:

My friend wanted to send his son to this school called Zhanter(spelling??? ) There was no test but they requested for a testimonial from the kindergarten on his performance there. The boy was from this place called Learning By the park.

thanks for the info

fredia_phionna
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby fredia_phionna » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:45 am

ChiefKiasu wrote:

I have not heard of Primary schools giving entrance exams as part of the initial Primary One Registration process. I don't think that will come down well at all, as it implies that parents will be FORCING their pre-schoolers to take up all sorts of academic courses just to ace the entrance tests.

However, if you want to transfer your child to another school after Primary One, the new school may require your child's exam results and even conduct assessment tests.

thanks for the info

fredia_phionna
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Ljas1370 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:19 pm

I was a PV at Geylang Methodist School (Primary). During their P1 Orientation Day last year, students are being allocated to their respective class and after that they were given math & English worksheets to do. Some can do very well. Some totally don't know how to do and cried. As a PV, I was told not to tell them the answer but to tell them treat it as a game and if you don't know just make a guess as all are multiple choice question. Those that did not do well, the form teacher will enourage their parents to send their children for enrichment during the holiday. SWEAT!!!

Ljas1370
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby ChiefKiasu » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:15 am

Ljas1370 wrote:I was a PV at Geylang Methodist School (Primary). During their P1 Orientation Day last year, students are being allocated to their respective class and after that they were given math & English worksheets to do. Some can do very well. Some totally don't know how to do and cried. As a PV, I was told not to tell them the answer but to tell them treat it as a game and if you don't know just make a guess as all are multiple choice question. Those that did not do well, the form teacher will enourage their parents to send their children for enrichment during the holiday. SWEAT!!!

I strongly believe that it is not right for anyone to judge how well a kid can do at such an early stage. To stream children based on what they "know" on the first day is unfair to both children and parents who were unaware that they needed to prepare their children up to a certain standard before entering P1.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby jedamum » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:09 am

ChiefKiasu wrote:I strongly believe that it is not right for anyone to judge how well a kid can do at such an early stage. To stream children based on what they "know" on the first day is unfair to both children and parents who were unaware that they needed to prepare their children up to a certain standard before entering P1.

ChiefKiasu,
From another point of view, the school can say that they need to band the kids accordingly so that the teachers can better focus their attention on the kids that needs to go through the basics and stretch those that are more advanced. Everything is not cast in stone. Those in the 'lower band' can always outdo their 'advanced' peers after grasping the basic concepts. It is more like the hoo-ha raised by parents about such banding. If we don't give the kids stress, the kids won't even realise which band they are in.

but the sending kids to enrichment part is too much...but then again, parents opting for 'popular' schools should expect such.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby ChiefKiasu » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:14 am

jedamum wrote:...From another point of view, the school can say that they need to band the kids accordingly so that the teachers can better focus their attention on the kids that needs to go through the basics and stretch those that are more advanced. Everything is not cast in stone. Those in the 'lower band' can always outdo their 'advanced' peers after grasping the basic concepts. It is more like the hoo-ha raised by parents about such banding. If we don't give the kids stress, the kids won't even realise which band they are in.

but the sending kids to enrichment part is too much...but then again, parents opting for 'popular' schools should expect such.

I understand what the intention is. But even if kids who were "streamed" into the slower classes managed to get promoted into the "faster" classes subsequently, they will always be doing catch-up since those in the faster classes would have undergone perhaps a more rigorous learning track, and the kid will always have the stigma of having been thought of as being "slow", and vice-versa. It is much better to stream at a later stage, say P3, when all kids have gone through the same kind of education by the school and assessed by the same standards.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby jedamum » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:30 am

ChiefKiasu wrote:they will always be doing catch-up since those in the faster classes would have undergone perhaps a more rigorous learning track, and the kid will always have the stigma of having been thought of as being "slow", and vice-versa..

Valid point noted. But the stigma of being labeled as 'not good enough' is more damaging when the kid is downgraded from a 'better' class. Bottomline : Parents will always find dissatisfaction in the education system.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Selection & Registration