Choosing and Evaluating Primary Schools

Work your way through the complex rituals of Primary One Registration. This is where you find out more about the dream school you have always wanted for your kid.

Choosing and Evaluating Primary Schools

Postby jedamum » Thu May 01, 2008 1:19 pm

KS mums/dads, any idea what should I look out for if I intend to do a tour around the primary school?
some of the following that i think i should look out for...
- 'rowdiness'/orderliness of kids in the canteen
- cleanliness of place

should I or can I approach any parents with kids studying there and/or teachers to ask any questions?

thinking of bringing my boy to take a look at the schools and see which one he is comfortable in.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby ChiefKiasu » Thu May 01, 2008 2:56 pm

Great question. But I'm not sure if you can just "tour" the school as the gates are normally locked and guarded during the schooldays except when the school is having an open house.

Bringing your boy is a good idea as it sets his expectations.

You should definitely try to network with parents with children in the school because they are great for getting news and updates on things happening in the school. Check out the parent support group or alumni for the school and join them if you are interested in the school. They will give you an incredible amount of information from which is the best class in the school to which schoolbus operator to use.

When touring a school, check for:
1. Security. Make sure the school has a proper system to stop uninvited intruders from coming in to mix with the children and to stop students from going out without permission.

2. Staff. Watch how the staff interacts and manage the students. Listen to the quality of their speech if you are particular about learning proper languages. Are they firm but encouraging, or simply disciplinary and telling the kids exactly what to do?

3. Students. Do the students look generally happy? Do they play and interact well with one another? Are they friendly and helpful to you? Are they rude to each other? Take a large sample size... because there will always be naughty kids in any school :).

4. Notice boards. Reading the notices and posters will give you a good idea of what kind of environment is being encouraged in the school.

5. Canteen. Check out the hygiene and quality of food. Watch out for junk food and other temptations. Is the place bright and airy?

6. Library and classrooms. Check out the size of the library and the quality of books. Are the class and reading rooms well lit and ventilated?

7. Sports facilities. Check out the number of basketball/badminton/tennis courts, field, gyms, swimming pools, etc. This indicates how serious the school is in these activities.

8. Clubs and uniformed groups, bands, orchestras, etc. These are great for kids to build a sense of purpose and belonging and teamwork. A good school will encourage their students to do more than just study.

9. Enrichment services. Most schools offer additional enrichment services for maths, science and the languages from outsourced partners for their students as early as P1. These sessions are normally held on Saturday mornings or afternoons.

10. Transport services. Make sure you can get your child safely to and from home!

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

PSLE performance of Primary schools

Postby ChiefKiasu » Wed May 07, 2008 7:20 pm

We have scoured the websites of all known primary schools to pull down whatever information they posted on their past PSLE performances. This information is now on the Primary School Listing. It's a lot of work, but it's worth it if it makes it easier for parents in making their decisions about the schools.

Please help us. If you know of the performance of schools that did not post their results on their websites, please post them here in this thread.

Thanks!

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

How to evaluate a Primary School?

Postby taymeister » Thu May 08, 2008 4:33 pm

After reading all the topics posted in the forum, all of a sudden, I feel very heavy at heart. I feel very lost.

There seem so much to do, in order to secure a spot for our children's education. I read from your forum that I should call up the principal to find out more about the school. However, I'm quite clueless about what to ask. haha.. Can anyone enlighten me on this?

I'm a old gal of Canossa Convent Primary School, but the school is too far from where I live. I'm currently residing in Westwood Ave. (Jurong West ext). And I'm still not sure of CCPS's standard now, as during my days, I find the facilities rather dated. And they havent been in the top chart until 2007. I strongly believe in enrolling my ger into a good academic school simply becos foundation is very important. What as a parent I can do for her is to give her that, the rest is up to her.

I'm very keen to enrol my daughter into Nan Hua Primary School, but its definitely out of the 2km range. I've already submitted the volunteer application form, but yet to call them for a chat. And Nan Hua is surrounded by neighbourhood HDBs, which means my chances are even slimmer. Does anyone has any experience with Nan Hua? Pls share it with me. Your help is greatly appreciated.

taymeister
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby ChiefKiasu » Thu May 08, 2008 6:58 pm

That's why we weren't joking when we said that it is not easy being a kiasuparent!

If we take the other extreme of not bothering about which school our kids end up in and trusting the government to put in place good enough quality in every school, then we would probably be a lot more relaxed about the whole P1 registration process. After all, your child will definitely get A school to go to. It's the law.

Canossa Convent is still a good school by most definition. Yes, facilities are old because it has been around longer than I have, but it provides great character-building qualities. However, it is indeed too far for you to travel to from Jurong West.

Nan Hua would be as good a school you can get in the west. It's going to be tough to get into, not just because of the HDB flats around Clementi, but because of the GEP and SAP status of the school. The school has been scoring 100% passes in PSLE. Only the top tier schools can achieve that consistently.

Why not try Rulang, if that is nearer to you in Jurong West?

As for questions to ask, focus on the extra-curricular and enrichment programmes that the school has to offer, not just academically, but in sports and aesthetics. No point asking about the syllabus because every school is the same.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby jedamum » Thu May 15, 2008 10:54 pm

Thanks ChiefKiasu for the note. :)

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Profile of Principals or Teachers

Postby titank » Tue May 27, 2008 12:42 am

Hi All,

Any info where can get the profile of Principal & Teachers? I guessed this is quite difficult unless the school website would describle the profile of thier Teachers or Principal.
:(

titank
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Profile of Principals or Teachers

Postby ChiefKiasu » Tue May 27, 2008 8:10 am

Most schools' websites will have at least a profile of the current Principal. Very few will go beyond that.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Profile of Principals (Primary School)

Postby Sniper Angel » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:05 pm

Understands that from next year 2009 there would be New Principal taking charge the Primary Schools.

Any idea where can we find the profile of these new Principals?

Sniper Angel
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Profile of Principals (Primary School)

Postby jedamum » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:13 pm

Sniper Angel wrote:Understands that from next year 2009 there would be New Principal taking charge the Primary Schools.

Any idea where can we find the profile of these new Principals?

all the primary schools?
i only know my boy's school will be having a new principal.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Selection & Registration