Choosing and Evaluating Primary Schools

Work your way through the complex rituals of Primary One Registration. This is where you find out more about the dream school you have always wanted for your kid.
Post Reply
firstda
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Posts: 59
Joined: Tue Oct 03,

Re: *** READ ME FIRST !!! - P1 Registration FAQ ***

Post by firstda » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:05 pm

Davischew wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:12 pm
firstda wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:06 pm
Davischew wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:28 pm

My advice is Hong Wen >2km for 2B not guaranteed and 2C, no chance. Same goes to Fairfield, no chance for 2B and 2C. Best is 2A1/2 Fairfield, further but worth. Unless you have <1km school to consider.
If fail 2B, then go 2C is not for Alumni, it is for public.

You might also want to consider St. Margaret’s or CHIJ Kellock, if you are nearer to central.
HWS PVs are all living within 1km. Sorry for that. Unless they changed principal. For horse and SG babies, they most likely take in 20 PVs just like the Dragon year so that the PVs can "guarantee" a place.
Can’t guarantee also. We don’t know how many GRLs will be applying.
The principal said the numbers that he did not know is from Hui Guan and during the first PVs' meeting he will address the 40 hours of PV and balloting issue. Based on the passed 6 to 7 years balloting history while he is the principal, there is no balloting in 2B.

Lindan1981
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Aug 15,

Re: Need help

Post by Lindan1981 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:14 pm

Davischew wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:42 am
Lindan1981 wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:28 am
floppy wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:55 am


Fail in 2C then go 2CS. Fail in 2CS, then MOE will assign you the nearest school with vacancies.

St Joseph and St Andrew’s are boys’ schools.
Thanks. So it means we got no other choices but pray for 2C. :shrug:
Backup Bendemeer primary

You can also try PV.
https://hongwen.moe.edu.sg/parents-hub/ ... volunteer/
Thanks Davis for the suggestion. Any idea how is Bendemeer primary. I can't find too many information or review for this school.

Lindan1981
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Aug 15,

Re: Need help

Post by Lindan1981 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:03 pm

floppy wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:15 pm
Lindan1981 wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:28 am
floppy wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:55 am


Fail in 2C then go 2CS. Fail in 2CS, then MOE will assign you the nearest school with vacancies.

St Joseph and St Andrew’s are boys’ schools.
Thanks. So it means we got no other choices but pray for 2C. :shrug:
There’s Stamford, Bendemeer and further away, First Toa Payoh, etc. Plenty of other options, just not as close (depends) and whether you want it or not.
Thanks Floppy. For 2CS, if it's >2km, the priority will be lower too, right?

sweetsuccess
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Aug 31,

Re: Choosing and Evaluating Primary Schools

Post by sweetsuccess » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:05 am

Dear parents, my daughter is due for P1 registration in 2022. It's still a while but lately I've been very stressed over it after hearing from friends about their children registration. May i seek your views please?

1. We stay at punggol. Within 1km from edgefield pri, punggol view pri and mee toh (requires 1 bus/lrt). Edgefield and punggol view are new but within walking distance. Mee Toh is further but most established school in punggol. Which should i go for?

2. Another headache is not sure if we should place her at my mum's area hougang (options: xinmin pri, hougang pri and rosyth). She's taken care of by my mum since birth. Currently after i send her to kindergarten at punggol, my mum will fetch her to hougang home. If she is studying at hougang school, it is an area she's more familiar with and my mum can just walk her home instead of having to travel. But that would also mean morning will need to wake up much earlier (drive abt 20 mins, public transport 45 mins). And we can only register based on 1-2km using my mum's address.
What is your views?

Appreciate if you may share your opinions as I don't have much friends who can advise me as they don't stay at NE hence not familiar with the schools in punggol and most of their children go to childcare. Many thanks!

Davischew
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Posts: 707
Joined: Fri Aug 07,

Re: Choosing and Evaluating Primary Schools

Post by Davischew » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:14 am

sweetsuccess wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:05 am
Dear parents, my daughter is due for P1 registration in 2022. It's still a while but lately I've been very stressed over it after hearing from friends about their children registration. May i seek your views please?

1. We stay at punggol. Within 1km from edgefield pri, punggol view pri and mee toh (requires 1 bus/lrt). Edgefield and punggol view are new but within walking distance. Mee Toh is further but most established school in punggol. Which should i go for?

2. Another headache is not sure if we should place her at my mum's area hougang (options: xinmin pri, hougang pri and rosyth). She's taken care of by my mum since birth. Currently after i send her to kindergarten at punggol, my mum will fetch her to hougang home. If she is studying at hougang school, it is an area she's more familiar with and my mum can just walk her home instead of having to travel. But that would also mean morning will need to wake up much earlier (drive abt 20 mins, public transport 45 mins). And we can only register based on 1-2km using my mum's address.
What is your views?

Appreciate if you may share your opinions as I don't have much friends who can advise me as they don't stay at NE hence not familiar with the schools in punggol and most of their children go to childcare. Many thanks!
I would prefer to go to the nearest school to save on sleep time. Don’t you want to consider student care? They can help to monitor homework and when they go home can relax abit.


Davischew
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Posts: 707
Joined: Fri Aug 07,

Re: Need help

Post by Davischew » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:16 am

Lindan1981 wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:03 pm
floppy wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:15 pm
Lindan1981 wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:28 am


Thanks. So it means we got no other choices but pray for 2C. :shrug:
There’s Stamford, Bendemeer and further away, First Toa Payoh, etc. Plenty of other options, just not as close (depends) and whether you want it or not.
Thanks Floppy. For 2CS, if it's >2km, the priority will be lower too, right?
Priority will be same for all phases, citizenship then distance

yenyenpark
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Aug 02,

Re: Choosing and Evaluating Primary Schools

Post by yenyenpark » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:40 pm

sweetsuccess wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:05 am
Dear parents, my daughter is due for P1 registration in 2022. It's still a while but lately I've been very stressed over it after hearing from friends about their children registration. May i seek your views please?

1. We stay at punggol. Within 1km from edgefield pri, punggol view pri and mee toh (requires 1 bus/lrt). Edgefield and punggol view are new but within walking distance. Mee Toh is further but most established school in punggol. Which should i go for?

2. Another headache is not sure if we should place her at my mum's area hougang (options: xinmin pri, hougang pri and rosyth). She's taken care of by my mum since birth. Currently after i send her to kindergarten at punggol, my mum will fetch her to hougang home. If she is studying at hougang school, it is an area she's more familiar with and my mum can just walk her home instead of having to travel. But that would also mean morning will need to wake up much earlier (drive abt 20 mins, public transport 45 mins). And we can only register based on 1-2km using my mum's address.
What is your views?

Appreciate if you may share your opinions as I don't have much friends who can advise me as they don't stay at NE hence not familiar with the schools in punggol and most of their children go to childcare. Many thanks!
i think you have to discussed with your mum since she will be helping you for first few years. it's all depend on your mum, her health and willingness to travel to Punggol or prefer Hougang. the P1 registration is over, so basically you will get whichever school that still have vacancies to take your children. Hougang and Punggol is quite convenient in the sense if accessible by MRT and many buses.. just saying..

Octavia
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Oct 07,
Total Likes:2

Re: Choosing and Evaluating Primary Schools

Post by Octavia » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:03 am

Octavia wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:36 pm
Davischew wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:55 am
Octavia wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:54 am
After receiving sms result from MOE, we still not yet get any letter or email from school/MOE about admission.
sms only mention about orientation at school.
Any other steps need to go through.
First time experience registration P1 :)
wait for the letter from school. should be anytime soon, as last week was long weekend.


:thankyou:

We haven't received letter from school.
Should we contact school or MOE?
I start to get worried ...

Davischew
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Posts: 707
Joined: Fri Aug 07,

Re: Choosing and Evaluating Primary Schools

Post by Davischew » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:07 am

Octavia wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:03 am
Octavia wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:36 pm
Davischew wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:55 am

wait for the letter from school. should be anytime soon, as last week was long weekend.


:thankyou:

We haven't received letter from school.
Should we contact school or MOE?
I start to get worried ...
confirmed place nothing to worry. call the school

dlkc99
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Oct 12,

Re: Choosing and Evaluating Primary Schools

Post by dlkc99 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:46 pm

Hi just to be clear. After we got the SMS regarding the confirmed place, we should get a letter? Until now, i have not got any letter from the school. My girl is going into SCGS

Post Reply