Choosing and Evaluating Primary Schools

Work your way through the complex rituals of Primary One Registration. This is where you find out more about the dream school you have always wanted for your kid.
Davischew
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: Choosing and Evaluating Primary Schools

Post by Davischew » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:02 pm

dlkc99 wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:46 pm
Hi just to be clear. After we got the SMS regarding the confirmed place, we should get a letter? Until now, i have not got any letter from the school. My girl is going into SCGS
Yes should have a letter. Wait till next week or just call the school.

hb
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:3

Post by hb » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:08 am

I've a question on choosing primary schools. What are the advantages of going to a GEP school from P1? Are there any? (Apart from the kid not having to change schools if they get into GEP, because that's a bit unlikely lah.) We could send the kid to a GEP school in phase 2A, but the school is kinda far away and in the wrong direction. (The school is not NYPS, if that makes a difference. :p)

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:109

Post by zac's mum » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:07 am

hb wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:08 am
I've a question on choosing primary schools. What are the advantages of going to a GEP school from P1? Are there any? (Apart from the kid not having to change schools if they get into GEP, because that's a bit unlikely lah.) We could send the kid to a GEP school in phase 2A, but the school is kinda far away and in the wrong direction. (The school is not NYPS, if that makes a difference. :p)
If you don’t think it’s likely that your child will get into GEP, will he/she end up like a “2nd class citizen” in the GEP school? Find out more about that. Ask your alumni contacts with kids currently there (I’m assuming the school was not yet GEP status during your own childhood, so you can’t draw from your own experience).

Looking at the “famous” primary schools’ past year exam papers available online, I notice that the GEP schools (and SAP schools) tend to set tougher/more challenging papers. Is that something that you wish your child to undergo? Assuming that your child is not of that capacity (only you as the parent will be able to tell). Bear in mind that the same child would be scoring well in other “normal” schools, but may fail such tough papers in a GEP/SAP school.

As for whether GEP schools actually provide extra training/enrichment opportunities to their non-GEP students, I will let the parents from those schools comment.

Davischew
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Post by Davischew » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:21 am

zac's mum wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:07 am
hb wrote:
If you don’t think it’s likely that your child will get into GEP, will he/she end up like a “2nd class citizen” in the GEP school? Find out more about that. Ask your alumni contacts with kids currently there (I’m assuming the school was not yet GEP status during your own childhood, so you can’t draw from your own experience).

Looking at the “famous” primary schools’ past year exam papers available online, I notice that the GEP schools (and SAP schools) tend to set tougher/more challenging papers. Is that something that you wish your child to undergo? Assuming that your child is not of that capacity (only you as the parent will be able to tell). Bear in mind that the same child would be scoring well in other “normal” schools, but may fail such tough papers in a GEP/SAP school.

As for whether GEP schools actually provide extra training/enrichment opportunities to their non-GEP students, I will let the parents from those schools comment.
I don’t agree on the “2nd class citizen”, too strong a word.
The population of GEP is lesser than mainstream. It would be better to say “expats”

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:109

Post by zac's mum » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:01 am

Ok I made a wrong choice of words/analogy.

What I mean is, are normal mainstream kids in a GEP school, viewed or treated as less intelligent and less deserving of the usual resources/enrichment than the GEP kids? Are they discriminated against? What do the kids themselves say and feel about this dichotomy?

lee_yl
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:118

Post by lee_yl » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:05 pm

hb wrote:
My friend had two kids in one of the GEP centres. DS1 in GEP and DS2 in MS.

He said he felt upset that the majority of the MS kids would just sit on the floor and clap hands when the majority of the award winners who go up the stage to collect awards were always the geppers. Every year it’s the same thing, sit there and clap hands, kind of demoralizing for his younger son.

To be honest, my DD2 said there appeared to be a line drawn between the GEP and MS students in her primary school. Once her class won a interclass Basketball competition and she overhead the MS students saying her class won because the teachers were biased towards the geppers.

Having said that, it has its pros studying in a GEP centre. Perhaps the standard is higher with tougher/challenging papers set and when there’s competition and peer pressure, one would strive to do better.

sparkling
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by sparkling » Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:06 pm

Depends on whether you have a school that is close to your home that you are happy with.

It's not as if every GEP kid will always score better in exams compared to non-GEP kids.

As for non-GEP kids in GEP schools, it's also a good chance for them to learn to be resilient and confident in their own abilities? I would say the same vice versa for GEP kids if a non-GEP kid does better than them.

Academic grades can only do so much, soft skills are important to succeed in life too.

hb
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:3

Post by hb » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:15 am

Thanks for the responses! Definitely a lot to think about. You've articulated some of my concerns in feeling demoralized at being in the "lower" or less-resourced classes - of course there's no guarantee that the kid will be near the top in a non-GEP school, but that seems a little different to me. On the other hand yes, it's a life skill to be confident in one's own abilities, and I think the kid would do okay in a more challenging environment. (I mean, how do I tell? she's doing fine in childcare, but it's a small, friendly, HDB void deck-type of childcare centre - probably not an accurate gauge for primary school.)

HEIDIZHOU
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by HEIDIZHOU » Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:04 pm

Dear all,

Any comment about choose between Ngee Ann primary school(NA) and Maha bodhi(MB).

My boy was born in yr2016, currently we have bought one new BDO HDB just near MB, looking at the balloting result of MD, afraid of if fail enter into MB, there will no other good school can choose from at this location.

That's why, we consider to move to near Taonan and Ngee Ann, there are two options for us:

1. balloting at Taonnan 2C phase, if failed, Ngee Ann may or maynot have 2C(S) slot, have risk of did not enter into either one
2. direct apply 2C at Ngee Ann, should have high chance to enter
If anyone have good suggest, kindly leave your comment, thanks

Heyhohey
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Heyhohey » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:29 pm

Hi anyone know 2a1 Henry park next year if chance ballot cos 2018 surprise was ballot so just wanna ask.