All About GEP Schools

Work your way through the complex rituals of Primary One Registration. This is where you find out more about the dream school you have always wanted for your kid.

Which is your preferred GEP school in Singapore?

Anglo-Chinese School (Primary)
11%
Catholic High School (Primary) (SAP)
8%
Henry Park Primary School
7%
Nan Hua Primary School (SAP)
8%
Nanyang Primary School (SAP)
23%
Raffles Girls' Primary School
12%
Rosyth School
12%
St Hilda's Primary School
10%
Tao Nan School (SAP)
8%

Total votes: 554

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:161

Re: All About GEP Schools

Post by Nebbermind » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:10 pm

Ikid wrote:
lee_yl wrote:From many of the blogs by students in the GEP centers intermingling classes, the mainstream and GEP students in these intermingling classes simply hate each other.
It may be the Geppers have their own 'language' or joke that is not fully understood by the mainstream students, afterall, some Geppers think or look at stuff differently, wave length different, that's why they are Geppers :lol:
I think it's more like the transferred Gepers are nebber quite accepted by the MS. :shrug:

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:39

Post by sleepy » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:22 pm

lee_yl wrote:From many of the blogs by students in the GEP centers intermingling classes, the mainstream and GEP students in these intermingling classes simply hate each other.
My dd2 in one of those intermingling classes. The kids knew each other since lower primary. She get invited to birthday parties and play dates by mainstream classmates

Can connect la, 笑点一样. By the way, I think classmates from intermingling classes are very good in their studies

iRabbit
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:137

Post by iRabbit » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:01 pm

sleepy wrote:
My dd2 in one of those intermingling classes. The kids knew each other since lower primary. She get invited to birthday parties and play dates by mainstream classmates

Can connect la, 笑点一样. By the way, I think classmates from intermingling classes are very good in their studies
Same same. My son was recently invited to a birthday party by someone from meta. My son was a transfer student.

For transfer students (not just from gep), the onus is on them to take the initiative to mix with existing students of the school, and what better way than sharing about vanguard cards, minecraft or growtopia. :lol:

hquek
Councillor
Councillor
Total Likes:71

Post by hquek » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:21 pm

iRabbit wrote:
For transfer students (not just from gep), the onus is on them to take the initiative to mix with existing students of the school, and what better way than sharing about vanguard cards, minecraft or growtopia. :lol:
true. Anyone who can talk pokemon to my son is his friend.

lee_yl
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:118

Post by lee_yl » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:14 pm

Nebbermind wrote:
Ikid wrote:
It may be the Geppers have their own 'language' or joke that is not fully understood by the mainstream students, afterall, some Geppers think or look at stuff differently, wave length different, that's why they are Geppers :lol:
I think it's more like the transferred Gepers are nebber quite accepted by the MS. :shrug:

Errr... Oh, just an impression I have from the various blogs i came across. The relationship very much depends on the individual child. I supposed the reality is more complex :shrug: than I thought...

grapevine
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:9

Post by grapevine » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:37 am

Just want to know your general opinions. Do you think the GEP scheme is effective? Is there another way to nurture the "gifted" in our schools?
I don't like the way schools with GEP are portrayed as better schools than those which do not have the scheme. What is your take on this? Do you think the gov should revamp the system?

Ikid
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Total Likes:21

Post by Ikid » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:11 pm

grapevine wrote:Just want to know your general opinions. Do you think the GEP scheme is effective? Is there another way to nurture the "gifted" in our schools?
I don't like the way schools with GEP are portrayed as better schools than those which do not have the scheme. What is your take on this? Do you think the gov should revamp the system?
Well, only parents with GEP kids can share with us if GEP program is effective. Do you have a child in GEP school or is your child a GEP student ?
Seems to be working well for the GEP students as they are able to take the challenge and they don't feel their usual lessons are slow and boring as they are learning with the same species of mankind.
Just like the high ability classes, learning at the same speed.

Revamp ? As in phasing out Gep or increase to top 2%?

grapevine
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by grapevine » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:03 pm

I feel that the GEP system does not necessarily benefit children with a higher IQ. The most successful people career wise don't seem to be GEPers. This holds true whether you consider successful in terms of who earns the most money, are at the top of their field, or have achieved the most scientific breakthroughs etc.
I have lived overseas for some time and in some countries, the "gifted" are simply allowed to skip levels and attend higher levels. Sometimes if they are good in a certain field, they are allowed to sit for higher exams (e.g O or A levels) in that field or even attempt university level studies at a much younger age.
I do understand that letting children move from primary 1 to primary 3 may not be in the best interests of the kid in terms of their social and emotional development. Yet I feel the current system does not really nurture those with a higher IQ. Nor does it recognise that those with a high IQ may not be really good in all subjects/fields.
Does this system really benefit the students in the end. Not all GEPers perform well at PSLE.

BTW I do not have a kid in the GEP programme. I started thinking about this after seeing a brochure from a tuition centre in Singapore that claims they have successfully "trained" kids to get into the GEP programme.
So you can train your kid to become "gifted"?
So what happens to the really "gifted" amongst our kids? Or those with a high EQ or other exemplary skills that are above and beyond the norm for their age cohort. What is the current school system doing for them? :lightrod:

hquek
Councillor
Councillor
Total Likes:71

Post by hquek » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:18 pm

Private schools can claim all they want, not all kids who get into GEP are trained in that sense. Of course their parents would like have read to them, nurtured them from young....but believe that is not the training you were alluding to. Not all parents who pay for gep training see their kids come home with that yellow envelop.

We have SOTA, SST, NUSH, Sports School, NAFA for those who are talented in those areas. What would you mean by exemplary skills? I would have thought that govt has provided a lot of avenues for kids in as many areas as possible.

Not sure what needs to be catered for high EQ kids. School system caters for the population and not the individual - that's where i feel parents have to assist and help the child fly further.

grapevine
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by grapevine » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:57 am

hquek wrote:Private schools can claim all they want, not all kids who get into GEP are trained in that sense. Of course their parents would like have read to them, nurtured them from young....but believe that is not the training you were alluding to. Not all parents who pay for gep training see their kids come home with that yellow envelop.

We have SOTA, SST, NUSH, Sports School, NAFA for those who are talented in those areas. What would you mean by exemplary skills? I would have thought that govt has provided a lot of avenues for kids in as many areas as possible.

Not sure what needs to be catered for high EQ kids. School system caters for the population and not the individual - that's where i feel parents have to assist and help the child fly further.
SOTA,SST, Sports school only take in students from express stream who meet their minimum PSLE scores. Not all talented kids will attend these schools especially if the do not score well in major subjects (despite the DSA system).
My question is if the current school system is really nurturing all talented kids? Especially for the GEP scheme. If it is, I don't seek them showing exemplary skills in adulthood. So is there a gap. flaw in the education system that can be corrected.