All About GEP Schools

Work your way through the complex rituals of Primary One Registration. This is where you find out more about the dream school you have always wanted for your kid.
Post Reply

Which is your preferred GEP school in Singapore?

Anglo-Chinese School (Primary)
59
11%
Catholic High School (Primary) (SAP)
44
8%
Henry Park Primary School
40
7%
Nan Hua Primary School (SAP)
46
8%
Nanyang Primary School (SAP)
127
23%
Raffles Girls' Primary School
69
12%
Rosyth School
68
12%
St Hilda's Primary School
55
10%
Tao Nan School (SAP)
46
8%
 
Total votes: 554

Ikid
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Posts: 836
Joined: Tue Aug 07,
Total Likes:21

Re: All About Affiliations between Pri & Sec Schools

Post by Ikid » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:34 pm

jtoh wrote:I think the Sophia Blackmore programme is different from the inter-mingling classes of other schools. SBC is an in-house gifted programme and they have a differentiated programme from the other classes. Whereas the inter-mingling classes in other schools are essentially taught mainstream curricula but join the GEP classes in subjects such as HCL, PE etc?
MGS is not a GEP centre, hence, the students in SBC have no chance to mingle with the GEP students. The point here is, many schools have a special program for the higher ability students, who are able to learn more than what the mainstream students are learning.

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 19279
Joined: Fri Jan 21,
Total Likes:223

Re: All About Affiliations between Pri & Sec Schools

Post by phtthp » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:07 pm

MGS is not a GEP school.

Her SB programme is a far cry, from MOE 9 GEP centre' curriculum.

zbear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 5157
Joined: Mon Sep 16,
Total Likes:67

Re: All About Affiliations between Pri & Sec Schools

Post by zbear » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:19 pm

phtthp wrote:MGS is not a GEP school.

Her SB programme is a far cry, from MOE 9 GEP centre' curriculum.

How do you know that the SB programme is a far cry from the GEP programme. Pls elaborate.

Are your kids attending the SB programme?

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 19279
Joined: Fri Jan 21,
Total Likes:223

Re: All About Affiliations between Pri & Sec Schools

Post by phtthp » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:22 pm

those MOE 9 Gep curriculum standard higher lah !

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor
Posts: 11362
Joined: Mon Mar 22,
Total Likes:106

Re: All About Affiliations between Pri & Sec Schools

Post by jtoh » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:27 pm

Ikid wrote:
jtoh wrote:I think the Sophia Blackmore programme is different from the inter-mingling classes of other schools. SBC is an in-house gifted programme and they have a differentiated programme from the other classes. Whereas the inter-mingling classes in other schools are essentially taught mainstream curricula but join the GEP classes in subjects such as HCL, PE etc?
MGS is not a GEP centre, hence, the students in SBC have no chance to mingle with the GEP students. The point here is, many schools have a special program for the higher ability students, who are able to learn more than what the mainstream students are learning.
My point is that the higher ability students in the inter-mingling programme aren't actually doing a special programme. They're doing a mainstream programme but joining the GEP students for PE, HCL etc. They don't join them for English, Science nor Math where the stretch is. SBC on the other hand is a differentiated programme altogether.


pirated
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 4591
Joined: Wed Oct 24,
Total Likes:122

Re: All About Affiliations between Pri & Sec Schools

Post by pirated » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:05 pm

jtoh wrote:
Ikid wrote:
jtoh wrote:I think the Sophia Blackmore programme is different from the inter-mingling classes of other schools. SBC is an in-house gifted programme and they have a differentiated programme from the other classes. Whereas the inter-mingling classes in other schools are essentially taught mainstream curricula but join the GEP classes in subjects such as HCL, PE etc?
MGS is not a GEP centre, hence, the students in SBC have no chance to mingle with the GEP students. The point here is, many schools have a special program for the higher ability students, who are able to learn more than what the mainstream students are learning.
My point is that the higher ability students in the inter-mingling programme aren't actually doing a special programme. They're doing a mainstream programme but joining the GEP students for PE, HCL etc. They don't join them for English, Science nor Math where the stretch is. SBC on the other hand is a differentiated programme altogether.
In other word, just some socializing, may be can find some life partners when they grow up and remember each other

lee_yl
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 7615
Joined: Mon Jan 18,
Total Likes:118

Re: All About GEP Schools

Post by lee_yl » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:37 am

From many of the blogs by students in the GEP centers intermingling classes, the mainstream and GEP students in these intermingling classes simply hate each other.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 16285
Joined: Tue Dec 22,
Total Likes:161

Re: All About GEP Schools

Post by Nebbermind » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:00 am

lee_yl wrote:From many of the blogs by students in the GEP centers intermingling classes, the mainstream and GEP students in these intermingling classes simply hate each other.
You mean the mainstreamers resent the Gepers who are mostly transferred students from lesser known schools?

hquek
Councillor
Councillor
Posts: 6702
Joined: Fri Jul 18,
Total Likes:71

Re: All About GEP Schools

Post by hquek » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:20 am

lee_yl wrote:From many of the blogs by students in the GEP centers intermingling classes, the mainstream and GEP students in these intermingling classes simply hate each other.
Not sure, DS likes to make friends from meta classes. I don't think there is any animosity.

Despite the camping experience where all kids got together, I don't think he gets the chance to mix with kids from other mainstream classes - not by will but rather by the fact that activities are still centered around the class.

Ikid
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Posts: 836
Joined: Tue Aug 07,
Total Likes:21

Re: All About GEP Schools

Post by Ikid » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:14 pm

lee_yl wrote:From many of the blogs by students in the GEP centers intermingling classes, the mainstream and GEP students in these intermingling classes simply hate each other.
It may be the Geppers have their own 'language' or joke that is not fully understood by the mainstream students, afterall, some Geppers think or look at stuff differently, wave length different, that's why they are Geppers :lol:

Post Reply