All About Church/Clan/Society Membership

Work your way through the complex rituals of Primary One Registration. This is where you find out more about the dream school you have always wanted for your kid.

All About Church/Clan/Society Membership

Postby ChiefKiasu » Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:21 pm

You have heard the horror stories of what some parents have to go through to get their kids registered in their schools of choice. Here's mine.

Now, mind you, we only live like 50m away from the school itself, so you might think that registration is automatic. That's what we thought, but then we decided to play it safe.

We went to the school itself, and met with the VP to find out how we can do some voluntary "community service" to ensure we can get our child in without the stressful balloting. Ah... the VP smiled as he told us that we missed the cut-off date for volunteering by 1 month. We were flabbergasted. Being greenhorns, we never knew there is such a thing as a cut-off date even for volunteering services. But... continued the VP... if we belong to the school's clan... hey, their children gets priority too.

A quick check between my wife and me confirms that my wife heritage qualifies her. Off to the clan we went. Ah... said the clerk... but this is member get member only. Some more must be senior member. You think it's so easy to become member issit?

So began a search for the elusive Senior Member, which fortunately ended quickly enough as my wife's boss more than qualify as the honorable Member. After a flurry of forms and $600 poorer in lieu of membership fees, my wife was inducted as a clan member.

When the call for registration arrived, we had to keep our fingers crossed, as we have not been clan members for more than a year. So we had to again seek support from my wife's boss to recommend our child to the school.

It turns out that our effort was quite worth it. A neighbour of mine has had to go through the ballot to register her son in the same school at the same time as our child. The experience was, according to her, simply excruciating.
Last edited by ChiefKiasu on Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby Jeremy » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:56 pm

wow :shock: For us, we make it simple. we r just 100M away from Catholic High & was under phase 2C. Its was a gamble as my son can opt for Anderson pr sch under Phase 2A but we decide to opt for CH due to the distance.

Well the ballot was exciting. Ration @ 30/45, we manage to get in on the 2nd draw...man the feeling was priceless :)

Jeremy
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby ChiefKiasu » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:17 pm

Jeremy wrote:wow :shock: For us, we make it simple. we r just 100M away from Catholic High & was under phase 2C. Its was a gamble as my son can opt for Anderson pr sch under Phase 2A but we decide to opt for CH due to the distance.

Well the ballot was exciting. Ration @ 30/45, we manage to get in on the 2nd draw...man the feeling was priceless :)

Wah... 30/45... you have a 33% chance of failure! I guess you probably wouldn't want to go through that again just for that "priceless" feeling :lol:

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Priority Registration - Clan/affiliated membership

Postby deang » Sun May 25, 2008 11:19 am

hi,

Does anyone know how to become a Hokkien Huay Kuan clan member? I have checked with the clan and they insist that we need 2 existing members to be sponsor. Unfortunately we do not have connection to the member.

I do not know what the sponsor need to do besides giving their IC number and signature but some are very unwilling.

Anyone here is willing to help our little girl or does anyone know what is making some member so reluctant to be a sponsor?

deang
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Hokkien Huay kuan member

Postby ChiefKiasu » Wed May 28, 2008 11:39 pm

For people trying to become a Hokkien Huay Kuan member, here's some info. The Hokkien Clan is located opposite the famous chinese temple at Telok Ayer Street.

Here is the link to their membership registration page with instructions to follow. As deang said, you need 2 current members of the cult - uh.. I mean clan to recommend you to become a member. Prepare a check for S$524.

Based on what I just heard, their next "membership" meeting where they screen and accept new members is in October. Also, they seem to have removed the 1-year requirement for recommending new members to their 5 affiliated primary schools (Kong Hwa, Tao Nan, Ai Tong, Chong Fu, Nan Chiau), so you can still apply now if getting into Phase 2B is your objective.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby Bishan_Mom » Thu May 29, 2008 10:16 am

Just to add....

Those thinking of going through this route, may want to consider carefully. IMO, it is only advisable for those staying within 1km of the school of choice. Under 2B, you are "competing" with parent volunteers and grassroot leaders, so it is not as easy as one think, even 1-2km, there is still high chance of balloting, especially the schools managed by SHHK are all popular schools. Also, all these are old schools (with long history) with a lot of ex-students; usually more than 50% of the available places will be gone by phase 2A2. Thus, competition for places are really very keen.

Besides, even if you manage to get your clan membership, you are still not guaranteed a chance to register in phase 2B. When its time to register for P1, you will still need to put in an application to the SHHK for a letter to register under phase 2B, which is "the 2nd round of screening for you". I heard membership tenure is still one of the considerations when handing out the letter.

Just my opinion...as $524 is not exactly a small amount. Of course, I'll not discourage if you join the clan genuinely to learn about Hokkien cultures, or just to extend your network etc.

Bishan_Mom
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby ChiefKiasu » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:48 am

Hi all... I am trying to gather data here to provide help for parents who are thinking of qualifying for Phase 2B under the affiliated clan/church scheme.

Can parents help state what they know by saying the clan/church and its associated school?

I'll start:

Hokkien Huay Kuan -> Tao Nan, Ai Tong, Kong Hwa, Chong Fu, Nan Chiau

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby mom_of_3 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:00 pm

Paya Lebar Methodist Church (Methodist Churches)
-> ACS (Primary)
ACS (Junior)
Fairfield Methodist Primary School
Geylang Methodist Primary School
Paya Lebar Methodist Girls' School (Primary)
Methodist Girls' School (Primary)

mom_of_3
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby ChiefKiasu » Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:06 pm

Thanks mom_of_3! I forgot ACS is Methodist too :oops:

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby angeliatay » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:02 pm

Thought I should give other parents a heads-up especially if your plan is to register your child under 2B using clan affiliation, in particularly - Hokkien Huay Kwan.

My friend was planning to register her child in Ai Tong under Phase 2B this year. They've been members of the clan for more than 2 years. They were informed after the registration results from Phase 2A2 was revealed that the clan will only be giving the letters to members who have been with the clan for 4 years and above. This is because Ai Tong has only 40 spaces left in Phase 2B and the clan feels that priority should be given to longer serving members.

Thus, she can only register for the school under 2C. Even though she's living within 1km of the school, due to the limited space available, it is very likely that balloting is required.

So for parents who plan to obtain priority registration to Hokkien Huay Kwan affiliated schools, do sign up as members as early as possible.

angeliatay
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Selection & Registration