All About Parent Volunteers (PV)

Work your way through the complex rituals of Primary One Registration. This is where you find out more about the dream school you have always wanted for your kid.
Post Reply
phantom
Site Admin
Posts: 367
Joined: Wed Sep 12,
Total Likes:1

All About Parent Volunteers (PV)

Post by phantom » Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:40 pm

My niece who got into primary one recently didn't got into one of the more popular neighborhood school even though she is been balloted in phase 2c. No luck. So now my sis is doing school's voluntary work for the school to prepare for my nephew. Wow, I wonder I should do the same, but it is a tempting proposal. Except the school's do reject for late application of parents volunteers

laopek
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Dec 17,

Post by laopek » Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:28 pm

phantom wrote:My niece who got into primary one recently didn't got into one of the more popular neighborhood school even though she is been balloted in phase 2c. No luck. So now my sis is doing school's voluntary work for the school to prepare for my nephew. Wow, I wonder I should do the same, but it is a tempting proposal. Except the school's do reject for late application of parents volunteers
wah lao u better start preparing right away liao! last time i wait until too long they also dowan me. very tao wan. principal big shot. i think they close by 1 june of every year. need to prepare at least 2 years in advance if u want them to consider u as volunteer.

Jeremy
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Jan 03,

Post by Jeremy » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:02 pm

phantom wrote:My niece who got into primary one recently didn't got into one of the more popular neighborhood school even though she is been balloted in phase 2c. No luck. So now my sis is doing school's voluntary work for the school to prepare for my nephew. Wow, I wonder I should do the same, but it is a tempting proposal. Except the school's do reject for late application of parents volunteers
Even as a Volunteer, you will not be garuntee a place in the school. Thats what happen in my son's school.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin
Posts: 15865
Joined: Mon Sep 03,
Location: Singapore
Total Likes:324

Post by ChiefKiasu » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:56 pm

Jeremy wrote:
phantom wrote:My niece who got into primary one recently didn't got into one of the more popular neighborhood school even though she is been balloted in phase 2c. No luck. So now my sis is doing school's voluntary work for the school to prepare for my nephew. Wow, I wonder I should do the same, but it is a tempting proposal. Except the school's do reject for late application of parents volunteers
Even as a Volunteer, you will not be garuntee a place in the school. Thats what happen in my son's school.
Hmmm... I can imagine what the parent who has put in months of "hard labour" of community service of cleaning up the school would say to the principal who tells him that!

What do they do? A performance appraisal of all the volunteers to see who is has met or exceeded KPIs?

Jeremy
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Jan 03,

Post by Jeremy » Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:31 pm

ChiefKiasu wrote:
Hmmm... I can imagine what the parent who has put in months of "hard labour" of community service of cleaning up the school would say to the principal who tells him that!

What do they do? A performance appraisal of all the volunteers to see who is has met or exceeded KPIs?
Beside clocking number of hours, they still need to ballot during phase 2B. Bal will carry forward to join Phase 2C for balloting.


ChiefKiasu
Site Admin
Posts: 15865
Joined: Mon Sep 03,
Location: Singapore
Total Likes:324

Post by ChiefKiasu » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:15 pm

Jeremy wrote:Beside clocking number of hours, they still need to ballot during phase 2B. Bal will carry forward to join Phase 2C for balloting.
Hmmm... the prospect of having to go through 2 ballots certainly doesn't sound like good returns for the hard work spent. So I guess parents must be prepared to do the volunteer based on its actual spirit, and not a means to an end.

lovebearsallthings
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Feb 27,

Post by lovebearsallthings » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:24 pm

I didn't know that some schools actually interview you before they decide if they even want you to do 'volunteer service' for them!

btw, what do you mean by 'belong to the clan'? Are you talking about 'old boy/old girl'?

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin
Posts: 15865
Joined: Mon Sep 03,
Location: Singapore
Total Likes:324

Post by ChiefKiasu » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:08 pm

lovebearsallthings wrote:I didn't know that some schools actually interview you before they decide if they even want you to do 'volunteer service' for them!

btw, what do you mean by 'belong to the clan'? Are you talking about 'old boy/old girl'?
Of course. Especially if the schools are in high demand. Even if you offer yourself for free they also dowan.

By clan, we are referring to the associations set up for the various dialect groups, eg. the Hokkien Huay Kwan is for Hokkiens, the Hainan Huay Kwan is for Hainans, etc. There are certain schools affiliated with these clans, and they take into account clan membership in giving priority to members looking to send their children to affiliated schools.

phantom
Site Admin
Posts: 367
Joined: Wed Sep 12,
Total Likes:1

Post by phantom » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:12 pm

The primary school I am looking at is quite new and does not belongs to any clan, no alot of old boys yet, so I think it will be easier for me to enroll my kid, still 3 years before time for primary 1.

But any 1 know beside been near the school and do volunteer work, any way to increase the chances of getting into the school?

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin
Posts: 15865
Joined: Mon Sep 03,
Location: Singapore
Total Likes:324

Post by ChiefKiasu » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:15 pm

phantom wrote:The primary school I am looking at is quite new and does not belongs to any clan, no alot of old boys yet, so I think it will be easier for me to enroll my kid, still 3 years before time for primary 1.

But any 1 know beside been near the school and do volunteer work, any way to increase the chances of getting into the school?
I think it works this way:

Guaranteed:
- If a parent is an alumni or staff of the school, or
- If an older sibling is currently studying in the school, or

Better chance (access to earlier rounds of balloting)
- If you stay within X kilometers away, and
- If you do some volunteer work for at least Y years (Y normally 2), or
- You are the member of some benefactory group to the school (clan, etc)

No chance
- If you stay > X kilometers away from the school

Post Reply