All About Parent Volunteers (PV)

Work your way through the complex rituals of Primary One Registration. This is where you find out more about the dream school you have always wanted for your kid.
floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:224

Re: All About Parent Volunteers (PV)

Post by floppy » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:10 pm

There are two parts: phase and distance.

Phase refers to when you can register. Most people will start at 2C. If you PV, you will move up a phase to 2B. It has nothing to do with distance or where you live.

Distance dictates your priority within each phase. It’s broken down into 3 groups: < 1km, 1 to 2km and > 2km. Using a caregiver address, you will not get better than 1 to 2km.

For details, please refer to MOE website. In fact, one should start over there first. There’s detailed explanation, YouTube videos etc to help you understand.

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by floppy » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:27 pm

bindi123 wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:04 pm
No problem, please be totally honest since I’m really here to learn about this complicated process. So if I’m physically staying with grandparents for 30 months, which phase will that be? Does doing pv hump my chance up?
It’s not so straightforward.

Both spouses address must be the same. If different, the default address will be the father’s. Be prepared to answer a lot of questions if you want to use the mother’s address.

Also, unless you already have a PV slot, consideration over the address may be pointless, and it’s more for general knowledge only. Selection for PV can be as difficult as securing a place during the ballot!
Last edited by floppy on Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:94

Post by Estéema » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:32 pm

Just to add, PV may not be available in every school. Since the intended sch was not mentioned, we will not be able to assist specifically. If the targeted sch does not provide avenue for PV, no chance to move up, UNLESS one is an alumni, hv requires religious recommendations, is a grassroot leader holding required role to qualify a recommendation to move ahead of Phase 2C.

Research more as floppy had suggested

bindi123
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by bindi123 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:37 am

Thanks so much!
Davischew wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:46 pm
bindi123 wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:04 pm
No problem, please be totally honest since I’m really here to learn about this complicated process. So if I’m physically staying with grandparents for 30 months, which phase will that be? Does doing pv hump my chance up?
Estéema wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:19 pm
OK, I try to be direct & diplomatic. :nailbite:

Use address grandparents’ only when you & yr child will be staying in that address which u hope to use to be given priority for P1 registration. Can’t use or be found out if u’re staying >2km but using address just to get in. It does matter if it’s grandparents, it matters if u’re physically staying for at least 30 mths.

It’ll be good if u’re going to stay there for yr child’s primary sch duration but what happens if u register the address but can’t get in? Will u change address for ano prime sch?
Do PV will be phase 2B, else 2C. Definitely chance up since you can apply both phases.

dec_belle
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by dec_belle » Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:06 pm

Anyone received reply from RGPS on pv status?

Aztac
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by Aztac » Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:15 pm

dec_belle wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:06 pm
Anyone received reply from RGPS on pv status?
I haven't, and since the form said by 29 Feb you don't hear from them means not shortlisted. But I am not sure if Covid-19 has to do with PV applications this year.

Anyway, I am assuming I have not been shortlisted. :cry:

Achily
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Achily » Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:32 pm

Anyone is applying PV for St Hilda's this year? It's just open. They mentioned that PV is required to contribute in at least one weekly programme for two years and did not mention how many hours need to fulfill. Does it mean that we need to go every week for two year during school time?

juvenfan1982
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by juvenfan1982 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:43 pm

Dear parents, does anyone know how to apply for PV in Ngee Ann primary school? I called them but the office lady told me their PV program is finished for this year, and they don't accept SPR (Because I'm SPR) but only SC...Shall I stop trying? thank you.

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by floppy » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:14 am

juvenfan1982 wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:43 pm
Dear parents, does anyone know how to apply for PV in Ngee Ann primary school? I called them but the office lady told me their PV program is finished for this year, and they don't accept SPR (Because I'm SPR) but only SC...Shall I stop trying? thank you.
As you are registering for P1 next year, it’s probably too late for most schools. Most popular schools don’t open up their PV slots to non-SC. My suggestion would be to stop wasting time trying and focus on the options / schools available next year.

juvenfan1982
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by juvenfan1982 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:41 pm

thank you for your advice.