[Serangoon] Primary Schools

Work your way through the complex rituals of Primary One Registration. This is where you find out more about the dream school you have always wanted for your kid.

Which is your preferred school in Serangoon?

CHIJ Our Lady of Good Counsel
12%
Rosyth
54%
St Gabriel’s Primary
12%
Yangzheng Primary
18%
Zhonghua Primary
4%

Total votes : 402

[Serangoon] Primary Schools

Postby mom_of_3 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:53 pm

[Moderator's Note: For Balloting History of Serangoon schools, click here.]

Hi,
I know little about local primary schools in Singapore,
I am wondering about St Gabriel's Primary School, does anyone know if the lower primary students have to complete homework everyday?
Does the school conduct examinations (either tests or formal exams) or if they simply use a broad grading system in the lower primary years?
Thanks, cheers

2012 P1 Registration Balloting Statistics (SC<1km, 1km<SC<2km, SC>2km, PR<1km, 1km<PR<2km, PR>2km)

P2C

CHIJ Our Lady of Good Counsel
Rosyth - 113 applicants vs 43 places
St Gabriel’s Primary
Yangzheng Primary
Zhonghua Primary

mom_of_3
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby kaimono » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:22 pm

only know that lower pri has only SA but higher pri has both CA & SA

kaimono
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Homework, Exam Schedule in St Gabriel's

Postby tianzhu » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:37 pm

mom_of_3 wrote:Hi,
I know little about local primary schools in Singapore,
I am wondering about St Gabriel's Primary School, does anyone know if the lower primary students have to complete homework everyday?
Does the school conduct examinations (either tests or formal exams) or if they simply use a broad grading system in the lower primary years?
Thanks, cheers

Hi
You may visit the sch's web site for more info
http://www.stgabrielspri.moe.edu.sg/

Better still, call the admin office for the most updated info.

tianzhu
Councillor
Councillor

[Serangoon] Rosyth

Postby Alexandrea » Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:20 pm

wooh wooh wooh Chief.. you sure know alot. Its great that I found this forum. Its so informative.

BTW, can I ask another question?
Do you recommend that my kids go into Roysth under phase 2B or Hougang primary under <1km?

What are the strength ofboth schools? and of cos the weaknesses?

Alexandrea
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: [Serangoon] Rosyth

Postby ChiefKiasu » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:02 pm

Alexandrea wrote:... Do you recommend that my kids go into Roysth under phase 2B or Hougang primary under <1km?

What are the strength ofboth schools? and of cos the weaknesses?

Rosyth is easily one of the top 10 academic primary schools in Singapore. It is a GEP school, which means that in P4, your child will be competing with an influx of the nation's "best" students for top honors.

Rosyth for Phase 2B will most likely require balloting for those staying greater than 2km away from the school. So you'd be taking a risk if you PV and find yourself having to ballot in Phase 2B. Worse... if you did not get a place in Phase 2B, you will not get a chance even to ballot in Phase 2C if you don't stay within the hot zone of 2km.

Hougang Primary is definitely not in the same class as Rosyth, but it is still quite popular. I would rate it as the 4th most popular school in Hougang, after Holy Innocents, Paya Lebar MGS, and Xinmin. It is pretty much a typical neighbourhood school with good balance of character development and sports programmes. Not outstanding, but not bad either.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby Alexandrea » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:21 am

Thank you chief!!!

I am thankful that I am staying 1.5km from Roysth and is with the RC for 5 years. From your advise, it seem like the chances of getting in this school is a little bit higher.

I will try Roysth then, even if my child will be in the normal class, I think she will still benefit from it.

Thanks a lot.

Alexandrea
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

CHIJ-Our lady of good counsel

Postby redrose » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:06 pm

CHIJ-OLGC only left with 20 vacancies for Phase 2C.

[Moderator's Note: Threads merged]

redrose
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: CHIJ-Our lady of good counsel

Postby angeliatay » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:13 pm

redrose wrote:CHIJ-OLGC only left with 20 vacancies for Phase 2C.

Err, are you referring to Phase 2B or 2C? As of yesterday, 2B still has 20 spaces left. 2C has not started yet so it should still have 45 spaces (and possibly more if there are left over spaces after 2B).

angeliatay
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

CHIJ OLGC - HELP!

Postby ashley » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:26 pm

[Moderator's Note: Threads merged.]

Hi

I failed for the balloting for 2B within 1km for St Nic. I am one of those 13 who didn't manage to clinch a place.

My options now are ranking in terms of preference:

1) CHIJ Our Lady of Good Counsel (within 1-2 km) from my mum house
We like the fact it's a CHIJ girls school and single session. the environment is very serene and like it that the school is small. but within 1-2 km need to ballot but risk is lower.

2) Marymount convent (within 1-2 km) from my mum house
Location is good and has the most no. of seats and should req no balloting. But heard school not good.

3) KCP bishan (within 1-2 km) from my mum.
Require balloting from past years records.

4) Anderson Primary (within 1km)
No balloting require but double session and logistic will be an issue as nobody at home. Child will have to travel to mum house in the a.m. and to and fro on sch bus from mum house.

5) St Nic (within 1km)
Try to ballot for the 25 seats again and chances only 50%. Might end up with no school and hopefully Marymount might still have seats.

Can anyone advise????

ashley
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: CHIJ OLGC - HELP!

Postby ChiefKiasu » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:43 pm

Hi ashley, I'm very sorry to hear that you failed in the balloting even when you stay 1km away.

OLGC is a small school with only 150 places. Its TUR this year is quite a bit higher than last year's in all the Phases so far. There was balloting under 2km last year. At best, there is likely to be balloting for under 2km again this year. At worst, you may not even get to ballot if the demand is too high.

If you ask me, since you are already less than 1km for St. Nic's, why not try again in Phase 2C? Probability of failing to get in after 2 ballot attempts is actually less than 50%, mathematically speaking. Of course, that depends on the number of parents less than 1km that are competing with you in Phase 2C.

So a strategy could be for you to monitor OLGC's registrations until the last day. If OLGC permits you to ballot at under 2km, calculate your chance there vs your chance balloting for St Nic's at under 1km, and go for the one with the higher chance.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Selection & Registration