PV after P1 Registration?

Work your way through the complex rituals of Primary One Registration. This is where you find out more about the dream school you have always wanted for your kid.

Would you continue volunteering your services to the school AFTER your child has successfully registered?

Yes
76%
No
24%

Total votes : 42

PV after P1 Registration?

Postby tony » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:51 pm

CKS,

Don't know if we can start a new thread or poll here. How many people intend to volunteer at the school after the child gets in?

I'm considering doing that as an assurance to my child that I'm interested in what he's doing in school. I wonder if the parents out there have any btdt experience?

tony
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: PV after P1 Registration?

Postby ChiefKiasu » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:12 pm

tony wrote:Don't know if we can start a new thread or poll here. How many people intend to volunteer at the school after the child gets in?...

OK... did it for you :)

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby HAPPYH » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:28 am

Yes, I am also intending to register for parent volunteer group. But wondering what they will ask us to do (other than monitoring the kids during break times and organizing some events) and how often they will call us? i hope it wont be everyday. If it is everyday, I can not make it since I am working.

HAPPYH
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ChiefKiasu » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:31 am

Harishita wrote:Yes, I am also intending to register for parent volunteer group. But wondering what they will ask us to do (other than monitoring the kids during break times and organizing some events) and how often they will call us? i hope it wont be everyday. If it is everyday, I can not make it since I am working.

It's usually up to twice a week at most. See this article for more info.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby MMM » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:38 am

My kids school only accept PV of existing students. I did "short term" PV with them during the 1st 5 days of P1 this year. I did that so that I can get "close" to my son. Eg. they don't allow parents to crowd around the P1 during recess and only those PV parents can help out. I didn't realise that it can be so satisfying. Kids feel proud to see mummy around and helping out in school. They kept asking me if I am going to their school to help out again. I also get to see their classmates,etc...

Due to my work commitments, I didn't sign up for subsequent PV. But we can actually sign up and remain in their database. They will call as and when they need help.

It is not daily activities but more event driven eg:
* Teachers day celebration
* Manning of stores during some events eg. CNY
* Help in class decorations
* Help to bring kids for excursion
* Help to keep a lookout for the kids during swimming lessons,etc...

I suppose for kids of existing students, you can choose to opt for a "free & easy" PV if you are not running for committee.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby HAPPYH » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:18 am

That sounds good. Thank you so much, Chief and MMM for the lightening replies.

HAPPYH
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby tony » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:08 pm

Tks, MMM, Nice to know the kid will appreiciate that we try to show up in school.

Can't wait now!

tony
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby MMM » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:36 pm

In speaking with some of the parents who had PV in my kids' school, the kids actually feel proud due to the following :

* Seeing mummy/ daddy helping out in school
* Their friends know their mummy/ daddy as they also see them around at events. This makes them feel proud.
* It's a sign to the kids that mummy/ daddy are involved in the school and they have something in common
* My personal experience in helping to PV during P1 initial days was, I get to see some of my son's classmates. I can remember quite a no. of them. So my son would tell me abt this friend and that. I can put a face to the name.
* As a parent, you get to make more friends with other parents who has kids in the same school. Such network is good.

It can be very satisfying and rewarding. Enjoy!

But I just want to caution you too as some parents do have their own agenda when they PV. So it depends on your level of involvement, just F&E type or running for committee. My cousin was the 1st chairman of the parents support gp in my kids' school. He saw it as a form of contribution but eventually "resign" as he felt that some parents are driven by their personal agenda,etc... like any group, it is sometimes unavoidable. This can cause some unhappiness.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby jedamum » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:39 pm

MMM wrote:In speaking with some of the parents who had PV in my kids' school, the kids actually feel proud due to the following :

my ds1 had told me not to join the PSG in his school.
reason being that how he behaves in school (very stern, very independent) is different from how he behave at home (clowning around, whiny). i think he doesn't want me to have easy access to the teachers in case i rat on his misbehavior at home. :roll:

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby schellen » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:30 am

jedamum wrote:
MMM wrote:In speaking with some of the parents who had PV in my kids' school, the kids actually feel proud due to the following :

my ds1 had told me not to join the PSG in his school.
reason being that how he behaves in school (very stern, very independent) is different from how he behave at home (clowning around, whiny). i think he doesn't want me to have easy access to the teachers in case i rat on his misbehavior at home. :roll:

He obviously forgot that in this day and age, there are telephones and the internet (for e-mail). :roll:

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Selection & Registration