All About SAP Schools

Work your way through the complex rituals of Primary One Registration. This is where you find out more about the dream school you have always wanted for your kid.

Which is your preferred SAP school?

Ai Tong School
7%
Catholic High
6%
CHIJ St. Nicholas Girl's School
7%
Holy Innocents' Primary School
7%
Hong Wen School
6%
Kong Hwa School
6%
Maha Bohdi School
6%
Maris Stella High School
7%
Nan Hua Primary School
7%
Nanyang Primary School
10%
Pei Chun Public School
6%
Pei Hwa Presbyterian Primary School
6%
Poi Ching School
7%
Red Swastika School
6%
Tao Nan School
7%

Total votes: 868

ElaineK
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: All About SAP Schools

Post by ElaineK » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:04 pm

Hi im looking for an SAP school for 2 of my kids which is accessible fm Woodlands to consider for next yr (hope to be convenient to travel so they dunnid to wake up early).

Currently in mind is Nan Chiau High (can go by bus), Nan Hua High (bus or mrt?), River Valley High (IP but doubt dey can meet the COP). Which is more direct and convenient?? ._.

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:223

Post by phtthp » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:49 pm

Why don't u use "Gothere" to check ?

Type in your own Woodlands address and the school destination, u will get yr answer quickly

ElaineK
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by ElaineK » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:08 pm

I rarely use apps (only use Maps but sometimes quite scared not accurate haha :oops: ) Will try this new app. Tks @phtthp !

Flowingart
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by Flowingart » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:40 am

ElaineK wrote:Hi im looking for an SAP school for 2 of my kids which is accessible fm Woodlands to consider for next yr (hope to be convenient to travel so they dunnid to wake up early).

Currently in mind is Nan Chiau High (can go by bus), Nan Hua High (bus or mrt?), River Valley High (IP but doubt dey can meet the COP). Which is more direct and convenient?? ._.
My take is to pick the school dat is easy to travel for ur kids, since IMO there is not much to differentiate for the 3 schs in terms of sch culture (except RV is an IP sch).

It will definitely be tiring to climb up and down and to be squashed with people every day, especially in secondary sch it can be quite common for CCAs to end during the evening rush hour. Also during exams having a smooth journey is important for kids to calm down and get ready, especially when trains nowadays break down so frequently.

For distance fm MRT stations, RV is abt 8 min walk Boon Lay MRT, Nan Chiau is also abt 8 min walk fm Sengkang MRT, Nan Hua is at the middle of Clementi and Dover.

Another thing is whether ur kids is comfortable with the sch anot (this one we cannot do anything much since dey r the ones who r studying so dey shd know themselves best). For me my gal prefer Nan Chiau over Anglican High and Chung Cheng Main although we live quite near to Anglican High so only thing I can say is make sure u work hard to get in lorh.

ElaineK
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by ElaineK » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:00 pm

@Flowingart thanks for the advises :smile:
:lovesite:

FindHomeTuition
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by FindHomeTuition » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:28 pm

Speaking from first hand information (my nephew attended NHPS a few years ago, he was from an english speaking background).

It is pretty hard to build up a good foundation of chinese if you don't regularly use the language. My nephew took HCL all the way until Upper primary and then dropped it. Make sure that your child has the option to drop HCL if it really comes down to it. From what my nephew said, there doesn't seem to be a big difference between HCL and CL but its just what phrases are learnt in class. (not entirely sure about this)

Even through he eventually went into a SAP school (RVHS), it was quite lucky that they did not require him to have entered with PSLE HCL. I also want to say that exam scores aren't really very telling. My nephew got B3 for HCL O levels, but he got by with tuition and hard memorisation of phrases that he used for all his exams. It is really a another level to get your child to be fluent in a language he does not use.

If you are intending to send your child to a HCL school and see him/her suffering in classes and not being able to converse fluently, I would recommend signing your child up lessons in group tuition or private tuition, even starting a study group with other kids would be fine. Anything to get the child more familiar with the language would be good.

rosenic8853
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by rosenic8853 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:51 pm

Not sure if should enrol SAP school as the teacher from SAP school told me that better not to register at SAP primary school if we don’t speak Chinese at home. Should I take up the advice and go for non SAP school?

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:196

Post by floppy » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:17 pm

rosenic8853 wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:51 pm
Not sure if should enrol SAP school as the teacher from SAP school told me that better not to register at SAP primary school if we don’t speak Chinese at home. Should I take up the advice and go for non SAP school?
Wait, I hope you are not seeking advice for this year’s enrollment :lol:

There are children from inter-racial marriages as well as new citizens from non-Chinese speaking countries in SAP schools. If they can do it, I don’t see why I can’t be done. Ultimately, it’s up to your child and his / her willingness to learn or go the extra mile.

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:109

Post by zac's mum » Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:09 am

If you don’t speak Chinese at home (and cannot) then at the very minimum you will have to cough up money for 6 years of Chinese tuition.

The really rich non-Chinese families who have kids that speak read and write the language excellently? They hire a live-in Chinese nanny/governess.

Imp75
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:33

Post by Imp75 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:16 am

rosenic8853 wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:51 pm
HCL is not as scary as what others make it out to be. My gals are all English speaking regular Singaporeans and they started HCL since P1. I don’t see them having the need to make extra effort to study HCL, what also helped was that she was assigned to the bilingual class in her sch which was given more resources and exposure to the Language and culture, something she couldn’t have done at home too. My eldest who didn’t have tuition, did very well in CL and HCL in PSLE. Now she’s in a SAP IP school upper Sec, I never hear her complain about HCL being a tough subject compared to the sciences or maths. So I think you could re-evaluate your thoughts about HCL. If your kid is in P5, then take first drop later? I believe you could do the same in sec sch too?