[Ang Mo Kio] Primary Schools

Work your way through the complex rituals of Primary One Registration. This is where you find out more about the dream school you have always wanted for your kid.

Which is your preferred school in Ang Mo Kio?

Anderson Primary
30%
Ang Mo Kio Primary
4%
CHIJ St Nicholas Girls’
38%
Da Qiao Primary
2%
Jing Shan Primary
4%
Mayflower Primary
6%
Teck Ghee Primary
8%
Townsville Primary
8%

Total votes : 449

Postby mstan » Wed May 28, 2008 3:48 pm

[Moderator's Note: For Balloting History of Ang Mo Kio schools, click here.]

I've a few primary school in mind for next year intake. However, I'm not sure which school is the better choice.. Anyone has suggestion or any kids are currently there, appreciate your feedbacks.

Townsillve / Tech Ghee / Da Qiao / Jing Shan

There are located at Ang Mo Kio [Some very near to Ave 10].

Townsillve (2 sessions) - Heard lotsa relieve teachers & some teacher did not make use of the time to teach but will instruct the student to play on their own.. No mid year exam but every 2 weeks, there will be a test.

Tech Ghee (1 session) - Lotsa homeworks, standard better than Townsillve

Da Qiao (1 session) - No feedbacks yet

Jing Shan (1 session) - Heard will lump all lower standard students together & thus students have no motivation... But there's a after day care centre in their premise.

SOS, pls!

2012 P1 Registration Balloting Statistics (SC<1km, 1km<SC<2km, SC>2km, PR<1km, 1km<PR<2km, PR>2km)

P2B

Anderson Primary
Ang Mo Kio Primary
CHIJ St Nicholas Girls’ - 31 applicants vs 18 places
Da Qiao Primary
Jing Shan Primary
Mayflower Primary
Teck Ghee Primary
Townsville Primary

P2C

Anderson Primary
Ang Mo Kio Primary
CHIJ St Nicholas Girls’
Da Qiao Primary
Jing Shan Primary
Mayflower Primary
Teck Ghee Primary
Townsville Primary

mstan
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Which primary school will you enrol to?

Postby ChiefKiasu » Thu May 29, 2008 10:48 pm

I like Jinshan for their focus on physical and aesthetics growth. Townsville used to be quite strong academically in the previous decade but has somewhat slackened over the last 5 years to be slightly above the national average.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

[Ang Mo Kio] AMK Pri Vs Mayflower Pri

Postby nat_mom » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:14 am

Hi, as much as I prefers St Nick and ANderson pri, but i think the chances are very low as i am within 2Km. Think hv to go for AMK or Mayflower? Any recommendations?

nat_mom
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

[Ang Mo Kio] AMK Pri or Mayflower Pri? Any comments?

Postby nat_mom » Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:26 pm

Hi, I am thinking of enrolling my daughter into one of these 2 schools. St Nick and Anderson are too popular. Any recommendations?thks

nat_mom
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Hi, Which is better? AMK Pri or Mayflower Pri? Any comme

Postby ChiefKiasu » Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:34 pm

Follow this link to view all the better primary schools in Ang Mo Kio. You can zoom in to get a better view.

Both AMK and Mayflower are very similar schools. They are definitely not amongst the top tiers of primary schools, so I guess the stress level will be lower. In terms of academic results, both are performing near the national averages in all subjects, with Mayflower coming ahead of AMK slightly based on last year's results. Both schools are above average for the Chinese language. AMK is slightly ahead in terms of sports and aesthetics programmes, but Mayflower is better in terms of character development.

Bottom line - very hard to choose between the 2. Better for you to go down to both and have a look-see yourself.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby nat_mom » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:52 pm

Thank you for your comments. guess i prob hv to try my luck with Anderson, if unsuccessful then will decide. Will find some time to pop by the schools to have a look.

nat_mom
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

[Ang Mo Kio] CHIJ St. Nicholas & Nanyang Primary

Postby firestation » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:27 pm

what's the registration history for these 2 schools like? I downloaded the balloting history for these 2 schools but don't see their names for phase 2B and 2 C.. What does that mean?

firestation
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: CHIJ St. Nichalas & Nanyang Primary

Postby ChiefKiasu » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:31 pm

firestation wrote:what's the registration history for these 2 schools like? I downloaded the balloting history for these 2 schools but don't see their names for phase 2B and 2 C.. What does that mean?

According to this list, CHIJ St Nicholas requires balloting even for children within 1km of the school, for both Phase 2B and 2C. If you are not staying within this zone and cannot get into Phase 1 or 2A, you will probably not even get a chance to ballot.

The same applies to Nanyang Primary.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby Mystical force » Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:00 pm

yah....so either has to shift within 1 km or do volunteering or both. And you have to volunteer early. We missed that chance.

Mystical force
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Marky » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:43 am

Hi,
Does anyone know about St Nicholas Girls Primary from experience?
Am trying to know more about the school in terms of whether the workload is heavy.. it is stressful and pressurising (relatively), are the teachers more patient , are there lots of homework/ project. Do they empahsize alot on Chinese? How are children who are slower in Chinese taught? My girl tend to do better with love and tender than pressure.

Marky
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Selection & Registration