All About Active Community Leaders

Work your way through the complex rituals of Primary One Registration. This is where you find out more about the dream school you have always wanted for your kid.
Post Reply
Davischew
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Posts: 762
Joined: Fri Aug 07,

Re: All About Active Community Leaders

Post by Davischew » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:15 pm

Midnightbaker wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:01 pm
Dear all, have been following the thread for awhile and would like to seek the experts' advice here.

Some context. My place is within a mature estate. Have already submitted volunteer form via PA and invited to attend the next RC meeting.

In order to qualify for 2B in 2025, would need to be appointed as grassroots leader by 30 June 2023.

Understand that it takes time to go from observer to executive member and grassroots leader. Not sure if I'm getting the timeline of progression right.

And if so, how long does it typically take from observer stage to grassroot leaders stage? Not sure if I have sufficient time to pursue the GRL track (the schools we are eyeing for do not accept PV)

Thanks all! Pls feel free to PM me as well.
You are already super early. Observer around 6-12 months usually

Midnightbaker
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Dec 06,

Re: All About Active Community Leaders

Post by Midnightbaker » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:18 pm

Really ah? That's good to know. Emailed PA to check and they advised me to start ASAP. Made me gan chiong quite abit. Thanks Davis once again!

Kelvin9515
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Nov 15,

Re: All About Active Community Leaders

Post by Kelvin9515 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:27 pm

Hi

Can I check if I am Currently staying in Toa Payoh GRC (within 1km from the school) the school I am applying for is in Tanjong Pagar GRC, do I need to be grassroots at Toa Payoh Constituency or Tanjong Pagar constituency?

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 7786
Joined: Wed Jul 31,
Gender: Male
Total Likes:208

Re: All About Active Community Leaders

Post by floppy » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:31 pm

Kelvin9515 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:27 pm
Hi

Can I check if I am Currently staying in Toa Payoh GRC (within 1km from the school) the school I am applying for is in Tanjong Pagar GRC, do I need to be grassroots at Toa Payoh Constituency or Tanjong Pagar constituency?
You need to shift house first.

Davischew
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Posts: 762
Joined: Fri Aug 07,

Re: All About Active Community Leaders

Post by Davischew » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:44 pm

Kelvin9515 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:27 pm
Hi

Can I check if I am Currently staying in Toa Payoh GRC (within 1km from the school) the school I am applying for is in Tanjong Pagar GRC, do I need to be grassroots at Toa Payoh Constituency or Tanjong Pagar constituency?
Doesn’t matter where you GRL at. Your house GRC must be same as the school GRC.


skii
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Posts: 361
Joined: Wed Jan 23,
Total Likes:3

Re: All About Active Community Leaders

Post by skii » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:54 pm

floppy wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:31 pm
Kelvin9515 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:27 pm
Hi

Can I check if I am Currently staying in Toa Payoh GRC (within 1km from the school) the school I am applying for is in Tanjong Pagar GRC, do I need to be grassroots at Toa Payoh Constituency or Tanjong Pagar constituency?
You need to shift house first.
nope, he needs to shift house last (not first)
and clock the membership years first.

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 7786
Joined: Wed Jul 31,
Gender: Male
Total Likes:208

Re: All About Active Community Leaders

Post by floppy » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:16 pm

skii wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:54 pm
floppy wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:31 pm
Kelvin9515 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:27 pm
Hi

Can I check if I am Currently staying in Toa Payoh GRC (within 1km from the school) the school I am applying for is in Tanjong Pagar GRC, do I need to be grassroots at Toa Payoh Constituency or Tanjong Pagar constituency?
You need to shift house first.
nope, he needs to shift house last (not first)
and clock the membership years first.
Well. That depends :lol:

If he’s looking at RC, he will have to shift house first, else they could probably accept him as associate member, and not a GRL.

Maybe he’s some who’s who. Then he will be looking at CCC, CCMC, etc. In that case, he can probably shift house last.

danedane79
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Oct 06,

Re: All About Active Community Leaders

Post by danedane79 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:51 pm

I tot can serve at Toa Payoh GRC. Once clock the min years, then shift house. I don understand Floppy's words.

Davischew
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Posts: 762
Joined: Fri Aug 07,

Re: All About Active Community Leaders

Post by Davischew » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:54 pm

danedane79 wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:51 pm
I tot can serve at Toa Payoh GRC. Once clock the min years, then shift house. I don understand Floppy's words.
Can also lah.

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 7786
Joined: Wed Jul 31,
Gender: Male
Total Likes:208

Re: All About Active Community Leaders

Post by floppy » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:43 pm

Davischew wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:54 pm
danedane79 wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:51 pm
I tot can serve at Toa Payoh GRC. Once clock the min years, then shift house. I don understand Floppy's words.
Can also lah.
Not so simple. If you don’t understand my words, you are clearly not ready :lol:

When most people talk about volunteering as a GRL, they are referring to the RC (or NC) because it’s the easiest to be accepted. However, One of the requirements to be nominated / accepted as a RC member is you must be living within the RCs Zone (see PA). Therefore, serve first move later is not possible for RC.

Now, Phase 2B is more than serving in RC. Other eligible GRO are CCC, CCMC and CDC. You do not have to live in the constituency to serve in these (which would be great for your plan) but good luck trying to “sign up” for them if you are a no-Mark :evil:

Post Reply