All About Measuring Home-School Distance

Work your way through the complex rituals of Primary One Registration. This is where you find out more about the dream school you have always wanted for your kid.

All About Measuring Home-School Distance

Postby sarius » Tue May 06, 2008 6:29 am

Hi all.

According the the MOE website:

Q23: How can I find out the actual distance between my school of choice and my residence?

A23: Parents may check with the schools directly on the distance between their home and the schools. Alternatively, you may visit Singapore Land Authority’s Integrated Land Information Service for a list of schools within 1km and 2km of your address. This is not an MOE website and is maintained by the Singapore Land Authority. You would have to pay for the use of this service.

Like most Singaporeans, I didn't want to pay first so I called up a particular school to ask if I stayed within 1km of it. I was told to draw a 1km radius on a map to check. I thought that it was kind of weird, but I tried anyway.

Using different points of the school on the map, the distance ranged from 0.9km to 1.1km.

IF I decide pay for the SLA service, will the distance calculated be officially recognised and used in the balloting process?

Thanks in advance! :)

sarius
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby ChiefKiasu » Tue May 06, 2008 7:14 am

I think you can argue that your house is within 1km of the school without much problem.

Just a rule of thumb... if your house is within the default zoom level of the primary school map on KiasuParents.com, you should be within 1km of the school. To be more accurate, use a ruler to measure the 200m marking at the bottom of the map and then use the same ruler to measure the shortest distance from your block to the school.

You can also use http://www.can.com.sg if you don't have a ruler handy :).

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby titank » Tue May 06, 2008 3:36 pm

Wow very chim yeah.Perhaps need to get Land Surveyor to measure the distance.

By the way, I'm also wanted to check whether Radin Mas Pri is within how many distance from my flat. How to go about it checking?

titank
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mintcc » Tue May 06, 2008 3:59 pm

hee using can.com.sg, you can go to

map finder > school > Primary school > ....Radin mas

They will ask you to install a plugin to view the map. When you find the school you zoom to a level where you can see your house.

The buttons are on bottom of the map. The is a button call "distance"

Click on it and select pt A & Pt B you want to measure.

As a guide Radin Mas to Tiong Bahru Plaza is about 1.3 km
Last edited by mintcc on Tue May 06, 2008 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mintcc
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby titank » Tue May 06, 2008 4:34 pm

Hi Mincy,

Thanks for the information. Just manage play around with it where I'm staying 1.4Km away from Radin Mas Primary School.

titank
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sarius » Tue May 06, 2008 10:19 pm

Thanks for the reply. :)

I've tried can.com.sg and my block is within 1km if I place the other end of the line at the corner of the school which is nearest to my block.

But I'm still wondering how it will actually be calculated during the balloting process.

sarius
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby ChiefKiasu » Tue May 06, 2008 10:41 pm

A lot of the mapping software are used for navigation, so the positioning of the point that represent the school is likely to be tied to the main driveway or entrance to the school. In this case, you will have to measure based on the entrance to the school. Otherwise, the point is in the centre of the school compound. Only SLA can tell us which is which.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby sarius » Tue May 06, 2008 10:46 pm

Guess I have to pay for the service provided by SLA to confirm then :)

sarius
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby ChiefKiasu » Tue May 06, 2008 10:50 pm

Actually, why not just call up the school's office? I'm sure they can tell you - for free :).

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby sarius » Tue May 06, 2008 10:51 pm

I did. She told me to draw a 1km radius on the map to check myself. :shock:

sarius
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Selection & Registration