All About Measuring Home-School Distance

Work your way through the complex rituals of Primary One Registration. This is where you find out more about the dream school you have always wanted for your kid.
galaxyraider
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Total Likes:7

Re: All About Measuring Home-School Distance

Post by galaxyraider » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:29 am

Avenue3 wrote:Just realized that we have to use onemap school query; if you measure yourself using the measuring tool on onemap or wikimapia, you have to take the center of the school and draw a line to your block. Drawing from school gate or perimeter wall for example is not correct way of calculating.

May be u folks know already
If you use onemap, you don't need to measure the distance on your own as you can just use the School Query function.

ruhuasee
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by ruhuasee » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:15 pm

i just tried the one map... just click school query function, they will tell you within 1km and 1.2 km school around your house...

My query is the 1.2km distance is for phase what?

tankee
Site Admin
Total Likes:24

Post by tankee » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:37 pm

ruhuasee wrote:i just tried the one map... just click school query function, they will tell you within 1km and 1.2 km school around your house...

Distance does not determine the phase, but affects the priority within any phase

ruhuasee
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by ruhuasee » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:04 pm

tankee wrote:
ruhuasee wrote:i just tried the one map... just click school query function, they will tell you within 1km and 1.2 km school around your house...

Distance does not determine the phase, but affects the priority within any phase
i c... thanks tankee!
If let say i am not successful for the 1km ballot, then i shall go for the next nearer schools is it? Higher chance that way?

tankee
Site Admin
Total Likes:24

Post by tankee » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:01 pm

ruhuasee wrote:
tankee wrote:

i c... thanks tankee!
If let say i am not successful for the 1km ballot, then i shall go for the next nearer schools is it? Higher chance that way?
No

Please read this

http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/conte ... -processes

BigDevil
ClassMonitor
ClassMonitor
Total Likes:31

Post by BigDevil » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:01 pm

Seems like that article needs to be updated.

Since there were balloting in phase 2A in recent years,
distance priority applies to that phase too.

galaxyraider
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Total Likes:7

Post by galaxyraider » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:24 am

ruhuasee wrote:
tankee wrote:

i c... thanks tankee!
Nowadays, distance plays a part in more Phases, depending how popular the school is. The earlier the phase will give you more advantage if your house is nearer to the school.

mumofboys2
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by mumofboys2 » Sat May 28, 2016 9:18 pm

I'm just outside the 2km radius (2.14km) of the school I want. How strict are they in enforcing this distance? Also, weirdly, some of the blocks in the condo I live in falls within the 2km radius and some don't. Thanks!

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:196

Post by floppy » Sun May 29, 2016 2:19 am

mumofboys2 wrote:I'm just outside the 2km radius (2.14km) of the school I want. How strict are they in enforcing this distance? Also, weirdly, some of the blocks in the condo I live in falls within the 2km radius and some don't. Thanks!
It's enforced 100%.

It's not weird. As it's based on the block's location/distance relatively to the school, some blocks in borderline projects or precincts will be out of the 1km/2km radius.

mumofboys2
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by mumofboys2 » Mon May 30, 2016 10:31 am

Thanks
floppy wrote:
mumofboys2 wrote:I'm just outside the 2km radius (2.14km) of the school I want. How strict are they in enforcing this distance? Also, weirdly, some of the blocks in the condo I live in falls within the 2km radius and some don't. Thanks!
It's enforced 100%.

It's not weird. As it's based on the block's location/distance relatively to the school, some blocks in borderline projects or precincts will be out of the 1km/2km radius.