All About Measuring Home-School Distance

Work your way through the complex rituals of Primary One Registration. This is where you find out more about the dream school you have always wanted for your kid.
chongster
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: All About Measuring Home-School Distance

Post by chongster » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:49 pm

Hhazell wrote:Yes I'm within 1km. Nyps is less than 300m from my place. What I mean is other than rgps within my 1km-2km radius (which my Son can't possibly enter). There is no other schools is within my 2km. So what are the chances of me getting a school for 2Cs nearby if I failed to get in nyps?
New town primary school. But just saw viral video of big malay boy bullying small malay boy. or Queenstown primary school. these two confirm ok for 2Cs.

Bukit Timah primary is the phase 2CS school of choice for those who cannot get into NYPS or Henry Park at phase 2C luck draw though, so kids are mostly from good families. 2019 is dragon year so might be more competitive...

all schools are good schools.

galaxyraider
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Total Likes:7

Post by galaxyraider » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:04 pm

chongster wrote:
Hhazell wrote:Yes I'm within 1km. Nyps is less than 300m from my place. What I mean is other than rgps within my 1km-2km radius (which my Son can't possibly enter). There is no other schools is within my 2km. So what are the chances of me getting a school for 2Cs nearby if I failed to get in nyps?
New town primary school. But just saw viral video of big malay boy bullying small malay boy. or Queenstown primary school. these two confirm ok for 2Cs.

Bukit Timah primary is the phase 2CS school of choice for those who cannot get into NYPS or Henry Park at phase 2C luck draw though, so kids are mostly from good families. 2019 is dragon year so might be more competitive...

It seems that not many people believe the statement "all schools are good schools" :smile:

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:196

Post by floppy » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:25 pm

galaxyraider wrote:
chongster wrote:

It seems that not many people believe the statement "all schools are good schools" :smile:

cottagehut
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by cottagehut » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:38 am

All schools are good schools.
I wish I can convince myself to 100% believe this.

bluebell09
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by bluebell09 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:48 pm

if my area has 3 popular schools within 1km..and I enroll my child to sch A and in end dun get any slot.
do I still stand high chance for sch B or C given that by then it has already will past the registration period?

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:109

Post by zac's mum » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:23 pm

No, u don't get 3 chances, u can only pick one school. Which 3 schools by the way? Do all of them require balloting?

nicnac
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:3

Post by nicnac » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:30 pm

[youtube=][/youtube]
bluebell09 wrote:if my area has 3 popular schools within 1km..and I enroll my child to sch A and in end dun get any slot.
do I still stand high chance for sch B or C given that by then it has already will past the registration period?
If you only qualify to register at Phase 2C and you fail to get a place in school A (after the balloting exercise after the registration closed for phase 2C), you will then register for another school when the Phase 2C Suppl opens for registration. By then, all vacancies at School B and School C may have already been filled, since you mentioned that they are popular schools.

You will however be guaranteed a place in a primary school before they open up the leftover vacancies for Phase 3 registration, which is for foreigners.

So monitor the statistics when Phase 2C opens and make a wise decision.

verycluelessparent
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by verycluelessparent » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:34 am

Hi Parents
My child is born in 2013 and I joined the forum to get more info to prepare for Pri 1 registration in 2019. I'm staying in Kovan area and I'm within 1km from Xin Min Pri and within 2km from Rosyth. I would like to try applying for PV with Rosyth n apply under Phase 2B. If unsuccessful, I would apply Xin Min under Phase 2C. Anyone has experience or knowledge with primary schools in these area? Any other schools to sugguestion for consideration? In the event I'm not selected for PV for Rosyth, is there any other alternatives or just have to wait until Phase 2C? A parent shared that it's definitely balloting for Xin Min for within 1km. Is that a risky plan?

galaxyraider
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Total Likes:7

Post by galaxyraider » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:01 am

verycluelessparent wrote:Hi Parents
My child is born in 2013 and I joined the forum to get more info to prepare for Pri 1 registration in 2019. I'm staying in Kovan area and I'm within 1km from Xin Min Pri and within 2km from Rosyth. I would like to try applying for PV with Rosyth n apply under Phase 2B. If unsuccessful, I would apply Xin Min under Phase 2C. Anyone has experience or knowledge with primary schools in these area? Any other schools to sugguestion for consideration? In the event I'm not selected for PV for Rosyth, is there any other alternatives or just have to wait until Phase 2C? A parent shared that it's definitely balloting for Xin Min for within 1km. Is that a risky plan?
If you are not selected to do PV, there's no other option but to go for Phase 2C as you're too late to consider other routes for Phase 2B. Since historically Xin Min had balloting for those <1km, you can prepare another backup school for Phase 2CS.

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:196

Post by floppy » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:16 am

galaxyraider wrote:
verycluelessparent wrote:Hi Parents
If you are not selected to do PV, there's no other option but to go for Phase 2C as you're too late to consider other routes for Phase 2B. Since historically Xin Min had balloting for those <1km, you can prepare another backup school for Phase 2CS.
I would also add if you are going the PV route, apply to Xinmin as well. No guarantee either schools will offer it to you but if either one does, saves you the stress of balloting in P2C.