Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

CHIJ Family of Schools

Work your way through the complex rituals of Primary One Registration. This is where you find out more about the dream school you have always wanted for your kid.

Which do you think is the best CHIJ?

CHIJ (Katong) Primary
8%
CHIJ (Kellock)
6%
CHIJ (Toa Payoh) Primary
15%
CHIJ Our Lady Of Good Counsel
6%
CHIJ Our Lady Of The Nativity
8%
CHIJ Our Lady Queen Of Peace
7%
CHIJ St. Nicholas Girls' School
51%

Total votes : 589

Re: CHIJ Family of Schools

Postby Seunggi » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:18 pm

janet88 wrote:The permanent location of Chij kellock is at Bukit purmei, next to the affiliated secondary.
There are civics and moral education (CME) for girls who come from non catholic families.
In the past, all the girls have to attend to mass. Although my family is Buddhist, i find mass interesting. My kids have been attending Christian kindergarten and son went on to attend a Christian primary school. Girl is in CHIJ.

Some parents are not comfortable with their girls attending a catholic school. What I like about CHIJ is the principal and teachers. They teach wholeheartedly and are very patient with my academically weak daughter. Till now (Sec 2), they still keep me updated about her progress and patient.

Thank for sharing this. Was gonna ask about the masses. I'm a christian but also the only person in the family that is christian. But i would think exposing her to masses would be good to observe even if she cant attend them. Was your daughter from kellock as well?

Seunggi
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Seunggi » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:44 pm

Does Kellock have a after school care on its premises? i cant seem to find this information. Anyone sending their daughters to afterschool care to recommend for kellock kids?

Seunggi
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby janet88 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:45 pm

Seunggi wrote:Thank for sharing this. Was gonna ask about the masses. I'm a christian but also the only person in the family that is christian. But i would think exposing her to masses would be good to observe even if she cant attend them. Was your daughter from kellock as well?

my daughter is in IJ TPY. there are muslim girls attending CHIJ now...so they attend CME with non catholic girls.
however, there are occasions when all of them will attend mass for eg last Friday's youth day celebration, teachers' day or national day. mass is to bless the people, it's good for daughter to attend even though she is not a catholic.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby qms » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:41 am

janet88 wrote:The permanent location of Chij kellock is at Bukit purmei, next to the affiliated secondary. ..

Not exactly "next to". They are separated by RMPS.

qms
ClassMonitor
ClassMonitor

Postby janet88 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:57 am

qms wrote:
janet88 wrote:The permanent location of Chij kellock is at Bukit purmei, next to the affiliated secondary. ..

Not exactly "next to". They are separated by RMPS.

oops...forgot there is radin mas.
the school would be moving back end of this year...so if niece doesn't get into APS, it would be Kellock.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Nivy_08 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:34 am

Hi,

I am so troubled in the school selection and i need to know my final decision soon!

I am debating between a neighbour school (Greenridge) or a CHIJ (OLQOP)..both has its good and bad..

1) In terms of distance, the neighbourhood sch is definitely nearer and within 1km, IJ will be around 2km..duno worth trying or not..

2) I heard some reviews on the IJ and it seems they are more focused on character development and leadership..is it more important? Or academic?

3) I do not come from a Catholic religion but my girl is in a Christian child care centre..

4) The no of vacancies up to 2B for the IJ seems to be going up over the years..wonder y..

Any advice on this? I will be in the 2C phase.. :nailbite:

Nivy_08
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Orb » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:20 am

Nivy_08 wrote:Hi,

I am so troubled in the school selection and i need to know my final decision soon!

I am debating between a neighbour school (Greenridge) or a CHIJ (OLQOP)..both has its good and bad..

1) In terms of distance, the neighbourhood sch is definitely nearer and within 1km, IJ will be around 2km..duno worth trying or not..

2) I heard some reviews on the IJ and it seems they are more focused on character development and leadership..is it more important? Or academic?

3) I do not come from a Catholic religion but my girl is in a Christian child care centre..

4) The no of vacancies up to 2B for the IJ seems to be going up over the years..wonder y..

Any advice on this? I will be in the 2C phase.. :nailbite:

It depends on many factors.

1) Distance & Logistics
Staying next to a neighbourhood school would save on transport costs as well as time. As your child grows older, there will be CCAs as well as Enrichment or Remedial Classes and need to stay back after school.

2) Character Development
Most schools would provide the opportunities for your child to excel if they are properly identified. Academics is just one component. Doing well in Academics is only a part of the equation.

3. Single Gender vs Co-Ed
This depends on your child. Is she more comfortable in the co-ed school or in an all girls school? if a child isnt comfortable, he/she is unlikely to excel even with increased support.

Orb
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Nivy_08 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:41 pm

Hi Orb,

Thanks for your reply.
Ya...i was also thinking about the points you bring out.
That's why i am so confused...
The nearer is good since my parents will be picking her up..nearer will be easier for them.
True also about the fact that all schools should also have part of the nurturing and development of character.
I think my girl is also for same gender or co-ed since she mingles well in her childcare with both gender..

Maybe Greenridge will be better option for us..
Not sure the statistics this year! Hope she can get in since we're in 2C phase..

T_T

nivy_08

Nivy_08
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Celng » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:48 pm

What’s my girl’s chance of entering chij primary (Toa Payoh) for p1 registration of 2020 if we stay 1 to 2km to IJ Toa Payoh and fall under phase 2B?

Thanks

Celng
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Orb » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:21 pm

Celng wrote:What’s my girl’s chance of entering chij primary (Toa Payoh) for p1 registration of 2020 if we stay 1 to 2km to IJ Toa Payoh and fall under phase 2B?

Thanks

Taking reference from this year dragon year registration, good chance no balloting for phase 2B within 2km if government policies dont change. Pray about it and keep your fingers crossed.

Orb
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

PreviousNext

Return to Primary Schools - Selection & Registration

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres