[Geylang] Primary Schools

Work your way through the complex rituals of Primary One Registration. This is where you find out more about the dream school you have always wanted for your kid.

Which is your preferred school in Geylang?

Canossa Convent Primary
6%
Eunos Primary
2%
Geylang Methodist School (Primary)
17%
Haig Girls’
15%
Kong Hwa
32%
MacPherson Primary
1%
Maha Bodhi
27%

Total votes : 469

[Geylang] Primary Schools

Postby Ljas1370 » Tue May 27, 2008 1:40 pm

[Moderator's Note: For Balloting History of Geylang schools, click here.]

Have anyone heard of MacPherson Primary School. Could someone kindly provide some feeback about this school in terms of academic, sports etc. Many thanks.

2012 P1 Registration Balloting Statistics (SC<1km, 1km<SC<2km, SC>2km, PR<1km, 1km<PR<2km, PR>2km)

P2C

Canossa Convent Primary
Eunos Primary
Geylang Methodist School (Primary)
Haig Girls’
Kong Hwa - 76 applicants vs 42 places
MacPherson Primary
Maha Bodhi

Ljas1370
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: MacPherson Primary School

Postby ChiefKiasu » Tue May 27, 2008 11:46 pm

Not sure why you would want to consider Macpherson Primary if you stay around the area because you should be close to Maha Bodhi too, which is clearly the better choice in this case.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby Ljas1370 » Wed May 28, 2008 8:48 am

Maha Bodi's current location is just their temporary premises. As next year they'll be shifting back to Eunos. From my house to Eunos is quite far and in the morning always jam. How is MacPherson Primary School. Is it good? I'm staying within 1 km to Kong Hwa but outside 2 km for Gelyang Methoist school & Ngee Ann Primary School. But hard to get into these schools. I'm not a parent volunteer.

Ljas1370
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

[Geylang] Best Primary School Near to Eunos

Postby daniel_gsl » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:44 pm

Hi,

I would like to know which is the best school in Eunos.

1. Geyland Methodist Primary
2. Maha Bodhi

If selected Maha Bodhi will there be any religious issues. Pls. advise.

Thanking you in advance.

Regards
Daniel

daniel_gsl
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Best Primary School Near to Eunos

Postby ChiefKiasu » Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:50 am

Hi daniel_gsl,

Both are very good schools, but Maha Bodhi is very strong in our KSP academic excellence ratings. Maha Bodhi will also be harder to get in if you do not PV and live less than 2km away.

Like all other religious schools in Singapore, students are free to practice different religions in Maha Bodhi that are different from the school's affiliation.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby daniel_gsl » Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:58 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the reply...

As far as the distance concernced, my house is within 1km of Mahabodhi and within 2 km of Gelang Methodist.

I am new in Singapore and recently became Singaporean. People are saying Mahabodhi is religious school and they force Budhisam etc... Is it true?

And what about Geylang Methodist.?

Pls. advise.

Thanking you in advance...

Regards
Daniel

daniel_gsl
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby ChiefKiasu » Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:19 pm

daniel_gsl wrote:...I am new in Singapore and recently became Singaporean. People are saying Mahabodhi is religious school and they force Budhisam etc... Is it true?

And what about Geylang Methodist.?...

Maha Bodhi supports Buddhism as its patron religion, just as Geylang Methodist embraces Christianity as its religion. While the schools will introduce students to their religion, students are never forced to take up the religion. Never are students ever made to switch religions to suit the school. These are the basic tenets of Singapore racial tolerance which the government is particularly serious about enforcing.

Maha Bodhi is a really good school. Many parents out there would love to be in your position right now.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

[Geylang] Canossa Convent Pri or CHIJ pri Toa Payoh

Postby horse » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:01 am

Hi,

Hi, I am thinking of enrolling my daughter into one of these 2 schools. Canossa Covent Pri Sch at 1 Sallim Road or Chij Pri Toa Payoh. Which school is a better choice? thks![/b]

horse
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Canossa Convent Pri or CHIJ pri Toa Payoh

Postby ChiefKiasu » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:35 am

CHIJ Toa Payoh is quite a bit more popular than Canossa Convent. You have to make sure you are staying <2km from CHIJ Toa Payoh if you do not have other means of getting into the earlier phases. Canossa Convent has not required balloting for any phase in the last 2 years.

In terms of academic achievements, CHIJ Toa Payoh has also been more consistent compared with Canossa Convent. It is notable, though, that one of the top 10 students in last year's (2007) PSLE is from Canossa Convent. The question is whether this is a one time thing or if the school has really become better in producing such students.

Both schools provide excellent character development for girls.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Geylang - Kong Hwa Vs Geylang Methodist School

Postby Ljas1370 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:52 pm

Hi Mr ChiefKiasu

I intend to sign up as a parent volunteer for my K1 son who is going to primary school in year 2010. I am staying within 1 km away from Kong Hwa school but outside 2km of Geylang Methodist School. I've not decided which school I shd work as parent volunteer. I heard that Kong Hwa is going to shift temporary to Maha Bodi (current temporary premises at circuit road in Year 2009). They are going to renovate the school which takes about 2 years to complete. Now I'm at a lost which I shd pick for my second son. My elder son is in Machperson Primary School. He is born in the Year of Dragon and was balloted out when I registered him in Kong Hwa School in Year 2006. I did not join Parent Volunteer during that time becos Kong Hwa School has more than enough parent volunteers during my elder son's time. So they are not able to take in anymore PVs. But now for my second son, I was selected by them to work as PV. I heard the standard of Geylang Methodist is the same as Kong Hwa School. May I have your advice on this. Tks so much

I need your advice on which school to

Ljas1370
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Selection & Registration