[Toa Payoh] Primary Schools

Work your way through the complex rituals of Primary One Registration. This is where you find out more about the dream school you have always wanted for your kid.

Which is your preferred school in Toa Payoh?

Cedar Primary
2%
CHIJ Primary (Toa Payoh)
19%
First Toa Payoh Primary
2%
Kheng Cheng
5%
Maris Stella High
19%
Marymount Convent
7%
Pei Chun Public
30%
St Andrew’s Junior
15%

Total votes : 777

Postby petmum » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:45 pm

[Moderator's Note: For Balloting History of Toa Payoh schools, click here.]

Hi, my gal is due for Primary registration this coming June/July. I staying within 1 KM to both CHIJ TPY & Pei Chun Primary & would like to hear from more parents what you think of these 2 primary schools. Thks.

2012 P1 Registration Balloting Statistics (SC<1km, 1km<SC<2km, SC>2km, PR<1km, 1km<PR<2km, PR>2km)

P2C

Cedar Primary
CHIJ Primary (Toa Payoh) - 58 applicants vs 51 places
First Toa Payoh Primary
Kheng Cheng
Maris Stella High - 47 applicants vs 36 places
Marymount Convent
Pei Chun Public
St Andrew’s Junior

petmum
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby ChiefKiasu » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:32 pm

Interesting question. My wife comes from CHIJ, so I can see the product of that education, so I have to mind my words here :). But if we take emotion aside, here are the facts:

CHIJ Primary
- Missionary school
- All girls school
- Have special programmes in arts and aesthetics
- Occasionally produced students scoring 275 and above in 2007 and 2004.

Pei Chun
- Mixed
- SAP school (offers higher Chinese)
- Won a BPA (Best Practices Award) for teaching and learning last year
- Have special focus in sports programmes
- 1 of the 7 Primary schools awarded the SDA (School Distinction Award) last year, the most prestigious award to be given to Primary schools so far
- Consistent showing in producing students scoring 275 and above in 2007, 2006, 2001 and 2000
- Past year exam papers in high demand :)

So if you want a more stressful environment, I think Pei Chun will meet your requirements :). If you want a more spiritual and perhaps more street-smart environment, CHIJ would be your choice.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby mintcc » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:56 pm

As a parent I wil decide on which school base on

Values, Academics,Facilities

For values, CHIJ is a mission school so that's a plus for parents who want to their child to grow up with strong affiliation with the religion. Pei Chun more on chinese values. I remembered (was there from P1-P3) they really take teaching the school motto seriously and till this day I remember the school motto : Li yi lian chi : Courtesy, Justice, Honesty and Honour.

Academics and facilities wise, I think Pei Chun has the upper hand. CHIJ tanjong katong are good in academics but not too sure about the toa payoh one.

As a kiasu mum I look at the awards and achievements plus alumni value. Pei chun looks like it well known for lots or awards. hee hee
http://schools.moe.edu.sg/pcps/

On a more personal note I will prefer co-ed school for primary level and want my kid to be effectively billingual. My impression is lots of children from mission school turns out to be generally weaker in Chinese.

Stress wise, I don't really feel it. I guess as kids, we just learn and if the kid is so so in Pei chun, they probably will still do well in the PSLE as the standard is generally higher.

mintcc
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby lizawa » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:18 am

You may also want to consider this : CHIJ has an affiliated secondary school. So their students get priority to enter the secondary school at a much lower PSLE cut-off point. Bearing in mind that sometimes, the difference can be as high as 20 marks.

But it's a well known fact that Pei Chun has higher standard (in terms of academic results) and produce more higher scorers than CHIJ.

All boils down to what you think your child will be comfortable with. There could be more pressure at Pei Chun but it could be a good idea to let my child stretch a little ?

lizawa
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby ChiefKiasu » Sat May 10, 2008 11:49 am

St. Andrew's Junior has a long history with a new face. It is in the "St. Andrew's village" where primary, secondary and JC are located. The facilities are impressive, with an included swimming pool. St. Andrew's has a very strong focus on character building and sense of belonging, and excels in sports such as rugby and swimming. It's academic achievements are a bit spotty, but has been getting better in the recent years.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Re: St andrew junior vs Kuo chuan pri

Postby ChiefKiasu » Sat May 10, 2008 10:21 pm

yinfunn wrote:Thanks for your speedy advice... I was interested in the strength on swimming ...but st andrew did not appear to have that yet as compared to Kuo chuan. But then again what is the impression on kuo chuan pri? How is the academic performance?

St. Andrew's just got their brand new swimming pool a couple of years ago... and I personally know of kids who have been training since 4yo in swim clubs that joined St. Andrew's 3 years' back. It won't be long before they become a swimming power. See this.

I don't know much about Kuo Chuan, so cannot comment. But unlike St. Andrew's it is a co-ed school. The general impression is that it is an above average school.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby m3wish » Thu May 22, 2008 9:38 pm

My wife and myself would like to send my girl to a good school. We had shortlisted Maha Bodhi and Pei Chun as they are both a good school.

Since my wife is a former student cum alumni of Maha Bodhi Pri, my girl will get a place in Maha Bodhi in Phase 2A1. However, Maha Bodhi is too far from our house (in Bishan) and the long travelling time may affect my girl.

Pei Chun is near to our house (within 1km from our house,. We will need to try our luck in Phase 2C as we are not parent volunteer.

So will you register yr girls in Maha Bodhi or Pei Chun? Pls share your views. Thanks.

m3wish
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby lizawa » Fri May 23, 2008 10:28 am

Both are good schools. However, you are taking a chance at Pei Chun because I believe you still need to ballot even if you are within 1km. if you are not successful in Phase 2C ballot exercise, what will be your option ?

what about volunteering at Pei Chun ? You then get to register in Phase 2B. I think chances of getting in will be high since you are within 1km. The same distance ruling applies in Phase 2B as well. So volunteers who are within 1km will get priority.

lizawa
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: Maha Bodhi or Pei Chun Public?

Postby ChiefKiasu » Sat May 24, 2008 1:33 am

Yup... both are good schools. Maha Bodhi isn't really that far from Bishan - it's about a 15min drive down Paya Lebar and Braddell road, and when the Circle Line is complete in 2009, should be even more convenient since one of the stations is right next to the school. So if you don't want to risk a bet at Pei Chun, go for Maha Bodhi.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby m3wish » Sat May 24, 2008 3:14 pm

My girl will be in Primary 1 next year. So Parent volunteering is too late for me now. Precisely we are worried that if we are unsucessful in Pei Chun, we may have to settle with one of the remaining schools that have vacancy after Phase 2C. In Bishan Area, I think Guangyang Pri is the only school that is not so popular among the Bishan Parents. The reason is obvious and I need not elaborate here. I probably have to consider carefully as I do not want to send my girl to Guangyang. So Maha Bodhi may be the way to to.

m3wish
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Selection & Registration