How far is too far?

Work your way through the complex rituals of Primary One Registration. This is where you find out more about the dream school you have always wanted for your kid.

How far is too far?

Postby simplyjo » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:09 am

10km from home to school... too much?

Any parents have children who have to travel 10km from home to school? How they are coping?

We are staying in Seng Kang, but school will be in Bishan. I'm very worried if the distance will be too much for my girl to cope?

simplyjo
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby titank » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:46 pm

Wow it is no joke to let a kid travel 10Km away to a school. Suggest you target to try school near your house.

titank
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby simplyjo » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:47 pm

titank wrote:Wow it is no joke to let a kid travel 10Km away to a school. Suggest you target to try school near your house.

Even if the school is Ai Tong and I'm an ex-school girl so chances very very high in Phase 2A2?

simplyjo
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: 10km from home to school... too much?

Postby ChiefKiasu » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:55 pm

I have a friend who used to stay in an offshore island. Everyday he had to take the 5am ferry to Singapore followed by the school bus. He graduated as a President Scholar, and is one of the most down to earth and friendly people I know.

If we see it in that perspective, maybe distance from school isn't such a major factor in a child's education compared to other things.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby angeliatay » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:08 pm

Personally, I think Bishan isn't really that far from Seng Kang (the traffic from Seng Kang to Bishan could be a killer though :P) If I was in your position, I would go ahead to apply for Ai Tong especially since your child is guaranteed a place in the school. The fact that it is a school with good credentials and much coveted by many parents is a definite plus too :)

angeliatay
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Ljas1370 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:55 pm

Hi simplyjo,

I all depend whether are you a stay-at-home mu or working mum. If you're SAYM mum and you drive then I think shouldn't be a problem to choose Ai Tong. But if you're a working mum and the poor girl has to take a school bus then I think you better think twice. Moreover when comes to upper primary, they'll have ECA sometime after school and the school bus don't wait for them. Who is going to send her back? Seng Kang has some good schools. One of them is Nan Chiau Primary School which you can consider. I'm staying near geylang. I've a neighbour who has a grand daughter studying in Canossa Convent at Salim Road. She has to take a school bus. When she is the the pm session, she has to leave house at 11.15 am for 1 pm class and by the time she reached home is 7.30 pm. We are staying just slighty outside 2 km away from the school. Just imagine yours is 10km. No joke better think twice. Good Luck.

Ljas1370
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby cheonght » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:37 pm

register for Ai Tong at ph2A first, secure a place first. I assume you are in phase 2B or 2C if you are going for Nan chiau. monitor vacancy and if confirm can get place, then you consider if want drop AiTong and switch to Nan chiau.

cheonght
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby simplyjo » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:52 pm

cheonght wrote:register for Ai Tong at ph2A first, secure a place first. I assume you are in phase 2B or 2C if you are going for Nan chiau. monitor vacancy and if confirm can get place, then you consider if want drop AiTong and switch to Nan chiau.

hmm, good strategy... but can I do this?

simplyjo
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby starman » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:03 pm

I am staying at Bukit Panjang ... got my son in Phase 2B Maris Stella...
still thinking whether I should move to some where closer..

Tried driving in the morning to the school (off Bartley Rd) via PIE exit
Upper Serangoon Rd ... took abt 25 - 30 mins at constant speed...traffic wise quite smooth at around 6.15 am

Don't know if there is a School Bus Service that goes from West to MS...
Anyone has some contacts please share..thanks...

I believe we have made a right choice ..although we need to make some
BIG Sacrifices...

starman
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby JJJmom » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:45 pm

Wow...that's a very very BIG sacrifice, in terms of time & $$ & ZZZzzz too. With the rising petrol cost, ERP...
You may not feel it when in lower primary, as you have more remedial, supplementary, CCA...your child will be exhausted with the long journey. The time spent on the road could be better managed.
Well...new property development on sale now, you can consider Kovan Residence...haha

JJJmom
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Selection & Registration