Which is better, same-sex or mixed school?

Work your way through the complex rituals of Primary One Registration. This is where you find out more about the dream school you have always wanted for your kid.

Would you send you girl to

Girls' School
51%
Mixed School
49%

Total votes : 130

Which is better, same-sex or mixed school?

Postby ctct61t » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:05 am

Original title: Which is better, girls school or mixed school?

I have a daughter who will be in P1 2009. I'm wondering whether to put her in a girls school or mixed school?

Hope can get some good suggestion from Kiasu parents.

ctct61t
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Atan » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:16 am

My boy is going to P1 too, and I had asked if he would like a boys school or a mixed school. He chose mixed sch. I am glad at his choice as I think it is healthier and also more interesting for kids to be in such an environment as school represent a mini society.

Atan
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Girls' Sch or Mixed Sch

Postby caroline3sg » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:36 am

Hi
My personal opinion: if you have a girl, better to go to a girls' sch right up to sec sch. If you have a boy, okay to go to either a mixed sch/boys' sch.

Why? Generally boys are more rough. You tend to protect girls. You won't want your girl to be pushed/knocked accidentally. Moreover, girls would reach puberty around P5. They need to take few yrs to adapt to menses. What if they stain on uniforms? Very embarassing.

caroline3sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Atan » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:58 am

Hi, I think one has to decide based on yr own experience. Think of your owen primary school days, would U want to be in a pure girls school if you can turn back the clock? For me, I had alot of fun in my primary school which was a mixed school. Boys and Girls are different, both physically and academically. I think it is healthy and challenging to put our kid in such mixed environment. Just my opinion. :D

Atan
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Girls' Sch or Mixed Sch?

Postby caroline3sg » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:55 pm

Hi
I was from all girls' sch right up till sec sch. Now my girl in all girls' pri sch. I also intend to go for all girls' sec sch, if her result can.

Not only physically & academically considerations, but also emotionally as well. My husband told my girl not to have boyfriends when in sec sch. You can see a lot of sec sch kids couple couple nowadays. And what would happen if both parents are working, not at home?

caroline3sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Girls' Sch or Mixed Sch?

Postby Fettuccine » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:03 pm

That sounds scary. But for me I try not to go through P1 regist again. I got a boy and a girl, so would naturally prefer mix school. A mix of boys and girls is ok with me, if I am forced to choose the only nearest boys school for my son, I guess I have no choice too.

But during teenage years, hormone rages, and not only opposites attract yeah.

Fettuccine
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby raynreg » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:19 pm

Hi Fettuccine

I'm having a boy and a girl too, the latter being the older of the two. We will have to register for our girl under Phase 2B ( that is provided we volunteer for PV work) and thereafter. However, my boy goes under Phase 2A1 and we are now considering if we should choose an all girl school or mixed school for our daughter. Care to share your thoughts.

Cheers

raynreg
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby ctct61t » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:06 pm

raynreg wrote:Hi Fettuccine

I'm having a boy and a girl too, the latter being the older of the two. We will have to register for our girl under Phase 2B ( that is provided we volunteer for PV work) and thereafter. However, my boy goes under Phase 2A1 and we are now considering if we should choose an all girl school or mixed school for our daughter. Care to share your thoughts.

Cheers

I have register my girl in mixed school. Thought of my study period, i think it's better way to let my girl go in mixed primary school, and have her secondary study in girls'.

ctct61t
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby raysusan » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:09 pm

ctct61t wrote:
raynreg wrote:Hi Fettuccine

Cheers

I have register my girl in mixed school. Thought of my study period, i think it's better way to let my girl go in mixed primary school, and have her secondary study in girls'.
that is what i am planning too
especially when i got another boy
it is more important to let my girl go to a girls sec than a girls pri

raysusan
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Fettuccine » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:16 pm

Hi raynreg and ctc61t,

Congrats, good to hear you have registered. Good decision to have your daughter go to mixed primary school. I personally think this would allow the kid to be more "socially balanced". By the time she reaches puberty and going to secondary school, its not too late also to choose a girls school.

I'm from a mixed school and from primary to a lousy neighborhood secondary school, was very "gong gong" during my generation :D I think my father was strict with our upbringing...Also depends who your kid mixes with, all my friends were "straight and decent" type, haha.

Personally, I would still let my children go to mixed secondary school, rather then having crush on the same sex, better to have teenage crushes on opposite sex. Of course, I do not encourage boyfriends/girlfriends at secondary level. All my kids will be taught properly about these boy/girl things...

My two cents worth.

Fettuccine
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Selection & Registration