All About Affiliations between Pri & Sec Schools

Work your way through the complex rituals of Primary One Registration. This is where you find out more about the dream school you have always wanted for your kid.
peasants
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:6

Re: All About Affiliations between Pri & Sec Schools

Post by peasants » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:36 am

MrsKiasu wrote:I m feeling guilty again. First time, dd2 forgot to read spelling, mommy I got this, forgot to learn..I was telling myself must remember to learn on weekends..this wk came back again the same :sad: only thing is luckily still manageable now..still decent as cher let them have some read up before that.
Kids will evolve and all these petty spelling learning stuff will become part of their natural instinct. On a broad basis, no need to feel guilty cos not all parents can stay home full time, educated enough to coach own kids or afford tuition teachers. Not all kids get ferried around to tuition or other fanciful activities. Anyone falls into catagory of low ses old school parent like myself will know, tough times raise tough kids.

cindycsm
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by cindycsm » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:44 am

peasants wrote:
MrsKiasu wrote:I m feeling guilty again. First time, dd2 forgot to read spelling, mommy I got this, forgot to learn..I was telling myself must remember to learn on weekends..this wk came back again the same :sad: only thing is luckily still manageable now..still decent as cher let them have some read up before that.
:goodpost:
Kids will evolve and all these petty spelling learning stuff will become part of their natural instinct. On a broad basis, no need to feel guilty cos not all parents can stay home full time, educated enough to coach own kids or afford tuition teachers. Not all kids get ferried around to tuition or other fanciful activities. Anyone falls into catagory of low ses old school parent like myself will know, tough times raise tough kids.

MyPillow
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:20

Re: 2021 P1 Registration Exercise for 2022 In-take

Post by MyPillow » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:05 am

janet88 wrote:
lee_yl wrote: Not entirely true. To get into a good secondary school still depends a lot on the parents. Like looking for good tutors, supervision on kids so that they do their homework and assessment books in a timely manner, go through their errors with them and regularly check their homework, take leave before exam to help in their revision etc. Parental efforts don’t stop after P1 registration.

PSLE stress / anxiety will hit you when your kid reaches P5.
:goodpost:
when kids start to attend formal schooling, it's more than parental involvement...almost the entire family is involved.
there are 3 subjects and one more called ART work. then there is this thing called 抄写 'parked' under MT. this is time consuming because the child cannot sleep if this is not completed...the MT teacher will just write a date and the word 'seen'. for art work, there is cutting, pasting, colouring to be done. again this non core work needs to be completed too. I remember evenings when hubby coached son for math, then 3 year daughter coloured his art and the helper with the cutting and pasting. I finished writing the 3 pages of 抄写. mornings, I coached son for English and Chinese.
for parent with one child is already taxing to help the kid to prep psle fr p4/p5 onwards. worst for parents with more kids :nailbite: after one round with ds , i am so nooooottttttttttttttiiii.... looking forward for dd turn ,2 yrs later. have been v relax with dd lei, either i getting old or i m getting lazi ..already not much Me time for myself ...still have to to prep the kid.... TIRED is my body vocab now - my brain is filled with work, chores, holidays, sch work - no space for me and myself

Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:48

Post by Estéema » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:29 am

Not easy to get the brain working again, as our body defence mechanism will take flight when stresses in sight. Esp hv to navigate difference in syllabus. Take heart, only one more to go right? You'll receive strength fr Higher Hands. Maybe get your older girl to help coach your younger one?

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:135

Post by janet88 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:15 pm

after son was done with PSLE, I was really burnt out...just couldn't bring myself to look at any books at all.
this morning, I just completed daughter's revision schedule for SA2 :imcool: this has been bugging me for weeks.

with her in affiliated secondary, my next concern is for her to do very well to get into poly via PFP. have to push. from NA to take O levels is a very steep curve.

Zeit
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Total Likes:15

Re: 2021 P1 Registration Exercise for 2022 In-take

Post by Zeit » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:22 pm

Last edited by Zeit on Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

lee_yl
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:104

Post by lee_yl » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:54 am

peasants wrote:
I know of a relative who used to wake up at 4.30am to go hawker centre to work as hawker assistant (a secondary job) so that her son can learn music.

The other one is my former part-time helper who also has another part-time job in McDonald’s. Always ask me what kind of assessment books I get for my kids and where to buy past year papers. Managed to put her children to Mindstretcher and have home tuition for her kids.

I think it’s about the sacrifices one is willing to make. Some families get to enjoy dual income, so for some Mummies who left the workforce to look after their kids, they will have to be more careful with money cos only hubby is working. My mum was a FTWM but she took the effort to sit down every night (for many years) to study with us from 8.30pm-10pm.

OT.

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:157

Re:

Post by phtthp » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:19 am

VooVoo wrote:
deardear07 wrote:is it? i tot only Nanyang Girls' High? Hwa Chong included?
Yah, I don't think Hwa Chong is related to NYPS...
the boys in Nanyang primary are Not affliated to Hwa Chong.

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:68

Re: Re:

Post by zac's mum » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:24 am

phtthp wrote:
VooVoo wrote:
deardear07 wrote:is it? i tot only Nanyang Girls' High? Hwa Chong included?
Yah, I don't think Hwa Chong is related to NYPS...
Correct.

They are “brother and sister” schools, culturally. However, neither secondary school is affiliated to Hwa Chong JC, nor Nanyang JC.

Zappy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:16

Re: Re:

Post by Zappy » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:30 am

zac's mum wrote:
phtthp wrote:
VooVoo wrote: Yah, I don't think Hwa Chong is related to NYPS...
Correct.

They are “brother and sister” schools, culturally. However, neither secondary school is affiliated to Hwa Chong JC, nor Nanyang JC.
The secondary schools are linked to HCJC via IP.

NYPS girls affiliated to NYGH. NYGH IP to HCJC (HCI)
NYPS boys not affiliated to HCI.
But if get in to HCI is IP (6 yrs including HCJC)

NYJC is not in the picture here. Only share the name, not linked.