All About Affiliations between Pri & Sec Schools

Work your way through the complex rituals of Primary One Registration. This is where you find out more about the dream school you have always wanted for your kid.
phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:157

Re: All About Affiliations between Pri & Sec Schools

Post by phtthp » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:30 pm

lee_yl wrote:
zac's mum wrote:My guess: ACS Barker, St Pat’s, Fairfield, and the non-SAP CHIJ schools. Basically those schools whose COPs are at the very bottom rung of the ladder.
Thanks!

If we look at CHIJ schools for example, only the CHIJ primary school affiliated to a good CHIJ sec school is popular.

I guess parents want more places for their kids in good schools like CHIJ St Nic, SCGS, MGS, SJI, Cath High ACS(I) and NYGH etc but MOE’s policy of reserving 20% for non-affiliated students does not address this issue directly.
for a start, from 2019 : the starting point is 20 percent imposed.

Going forward, Moe can raise (adjust) the bar upwards, increase beyond 20 percent, then impact to the popular Affliated schools will be felt much harder (stronger), eg : raised to 40 to 50 percent

The affliation will still be there. It will still exists, not that is going to be removed (abolished). But to be fair, let more outside students come in, enter the more popular Affliated schools.
Last edited by phtthp on Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lee_yl
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:104

Post by lee_yl » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:45 pm

phtthp wrote:
lee_yl wrote:
MerlionInGermany wrote:PLMGS I think.
For 2018 Sec 1 Express, they didnt take in non-affiliated students.
For some other years, they were able to take in a few of such students.
They do, via the DSA route instead of through PSLE.

If PLMGS continues to take in 20% non-affiliated students through DSA, then PLMGS primary school girls won’t be impacted.
But, in the event the Total number of Sec 1 girls which PLMGS admitted via DSA (out-siders), may not reach (touch) 20 percent of Non-affliated imposed requirement yet, PLMGS still need to open up the floor to admit the girls in, via psle T-score road (route).

Overall, PLMGS need to open up two avenue, to let outside students come in.
I won’t speculate further unless you can provide the actual breakdown of the intake of PLMGS sec school.

Oh, btw, even though St Marg COP is 188, it is not impacted as it is already taking more than 20% non-affiliated students.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:135

Post by janet88 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:47 pm

the COP for entry to affiliated secondary schools like MGS and SJI is rather high.

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by phtthp » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:02 pm

lee_yl wrote:
Take SCGS for example, shortly after the policy was announced, it issued a memo to all parents to reassure them that SCGS would not affected by the new policy, meaning, all SC primary school girls who meet the min affiliated COP would gain entry to SCGS!

After that, I found that many top choice sec schools like MGS, SJI, Cath High etc all not impacted because these sec school already take in more than 20% non-affiliated students.
Affliation only apply to OP / NA / NT
(nothing to do with IP)

How many Total Sec 1 SCGS OP classes are there ? Each Sec 1 OP class size : 40 students ?

if 2019 "20 percent imposed" has no impact to SCGS, what if one day increase to 40 percent, will have impact, or still no impact ?

What is the percentage to be set then, that will start to create or feel the impact, in popular schools ?

the same question, is posed to (MGS / St Nick / SJI / Catholic High) Sec -
since the Total number of Sec 1 OP classes differ, in each of these popular Affliated schools, and hence (therefore) the percentage where one start to feel the impact (pinch) may also be different, for each of them.

This percentage : cannot be standardized across popular schools, due to the different number of Sec 1 classes each school opened, for admission.

lee_yl
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:104

Post by lee_yl » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:27 pm

phtthp wrote:
lee_yl wrote:
Take SCGS for example, shortly after the policy was announced, it issued a memo to all parents to reassure them that SCGS would not affected by the new policy, meaning, all SC primary school girls who meet the min affiliated COP would gain entry to SCGS!

After that, I found that many top choice sec schools like MGS, SJI, Cath High etc all not impacted because these sec school already take in more than 20% non-affiliated students.
Affliation only apply to OP / NA / NT
(nothing to do with IP)

How many Total Sec 1 SCGS OP classes are there ? Each Sec 1 OP class size : 40 students ?

if 2019 "20 percent imposed" has no impact to SCGS, what if one day increase to 40 percent, will have impact, or still no impact ?

What is the percentage to be set then, that will start to create or feel the impact, in popular schools ?

the same question, is posed to (MGS / St Nick / SJI / Catholic High) Sec -
since the Total number of Sec 1 OP classes differ, in each of these popular Affliated schools.
Alamak! How I know?
Unless I am MOE, I won’t know what percentage should be set to have an impact on these popular schools.

And yes I am aware that affiliation has nothing to do with IP (except NYPS whose girls are affiliated to NYGH).

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by phtthp » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:00 pm

Zeit wrote:zac's_mum may need to cull further to obtain the 2018 Sec 1 intake of the 27 affiliated secondary schools to get a realistic picture. Getting the primary school intake isn't difficult as it's on the website now.

(A) Affiliated Secondary School's Intake?

I notice there're a few secondary schools which accept more than 1 affiliated primary school's brothers, so maybe those may be affected? But then again, their affiliated secondary may have double or triple the intake of the junior branch's -- more than enough to accommodate them. SJI and ACS are 2 mega motherships which may be able to accommodate more juniors.

Not sure if it'll impact on CHIJ Canossian which receives from 2 primary affiliates.

(B) Not so Coveted Affiliated Secondary School

Second, some popular primary schools (Good PSLE showing/SAP/GEP) are affiliated to not so popular/coveted secondary schools. So like I mentioned earlier, their top students will opt out from their affiliated secondary school and seek greener pastures elsewhere, thereby freeing up vacancies for other weaker Express qualifiers from their junior branch.

These unpopular affiliated secondary schools won't be impacted as well.

(C) 80% includes Normal (Acad) and Normal (Tech)?

This is something I'm rather confused about. Does the 80% include the N(A) and N(T) numbers?

If yes, I suspect many of their juniors do need that safety blanket if historically, their school don't produce a lot of PSLE high scorers who will exit the family. Majority of them will have to fight for that 80% worth of Express and Normal spaces now.
reply to your question C -
the 20 percent imposed, go by per individual streaming basis, for OP / NA / NT

eg
for Affliated schools that have the 3 streams together inside the same school, suppose

Total number of Sec 1 OP classes, opened for admission : x

Total number of Sec 1 NA classes, opened for admission : y

Total number of Sec 1 NT classes, opened for admission : z

that means

for OP : allow 20 percent of ( x number of classes), to be filled by outside students

for NA : same thing, allow 20 percent of (y number of classes), to be filled by outside students

for NT : same, allow 20 percent of (z number of classes), to be filled by outside students

because the criteria to enter OP, is different from that of NA / NT. Some schools need minimum 200, before can enter OP, while some no need. Eg Geylang Methodist : 195, can enter OP already, no need 200

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by phtthp » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:16 pm

janet88 wrote:the COP for entry to affiliated secondary schools like MGS and SJI is rather high.
the affliation COP for entry to MGS (220 ) / SJI (238) need to be high, because inside these 2 schools, they also offer IB programme, besides OP

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:161

Post by floppy » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:22 pm

lee_yl wrote: ...
Oh, btw, even though St Marg COP is 188, it is not impacted as it is already taking more than 20% non-affiliated students.
To guess which are the ones most likely impacted, you can look at the variance between the affiliate COP and non-affiliate COP. A high difference is a good indication that they are not accepting enough non-affiliate:
E.g. PLMGS (206 vs 250), ACS Barker (188 vs 241).

Obviously, it won’t be the only factor. Eg SMSS (200 vs 240). The relative cohort size of the primary / secondary section, eg PLMGS (270 pri vs 250ish sec), and the popularity of the school vs alternatives (eg mid-tier CHIJ schools vs orher girls’ schools) will come into play.

Zeit
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Total Likes:15

Post by Zeit » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:33 am

phtthp wrote:
Zeit wrote:
(C) 80% includes Normal (Acad) and Normal (Tech)?

This is something I'm rather confused about. Does the 80% include the N(A) and N(T) numbers?

reply to your question C -
the 20 percent imposed, go by per individual streaming basis, for OP / NA / NT

for OP : allow 20 percent of ( x number of classes), to be filled by outside students

for NA : same thing, allow 20 percent of (y number of classes), to be filled by outside students

for NT : same, allow 20 percent of (z number of classes), to be filled by outside students

:thankyou:

I got the same answer from MOE website.

FindHomeTuition
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by FindHomeTuition » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:18 pm

https://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/foru ... =5&t=91632 this thread has the updated list in a very nice table form :)